Be honest please-how bad is the "ring of fire"?

I remember saying 'that smarts' but knowing that it was nearly over and was pain with a purpose.
I used a natal hypnotherapy for homebirth CD. Admittedly, I fell asleep during every time I listened to it but I really think that on the day it helped.

Hi guys,

I have just found out I'm pregnant with #2 so trying not to think too much about the labour again just yet!! Lol.

But I saw this question and wanted to respond because I actually found the pushing stage to be ok... Or at least much better than the contractions part (7cm to 10cm was hard going!!!) For me I felt you could kind of control this stage more (ie how much you pushed) if that makes sense, whereas the contractions just hit you and you just had to ride them out! And it wasn't a short stage for me either as I was pushing for close to 2 hours with #1 (home birth so unassisted thankfully!) and I did tear (2nd degree) but didn't feel it at the time at all :)

I had fetal ejection reflex, I had no control over pushing at all! My body just did it!

I intended to labor without an epidural with my first and got my wish after I had an hour & a half of labor pains before giving birth. I was ready for the epidural after that hour of intense labor pains, thinking it was only going to continue this way or get much worse as my labor progressed. Little did I know, it was time him to come out!

The ring of fire is definitely killer. All of the pushing hurts a lot, granted I tore in 3 places. However, it's ok. When it's over, it's over. Yes, you go through the pain during pushing but then it's done and you don't remember the pain so it's ok. I don't plan to get an epidural with my second so obviously I'm willing to do it again! :) The nurses I had were wonderful - she had me look her in the eyes and focus and after that it as much better - I just knew I had to do it and did.

Good luck! :)

I never felt a ring of fire, had a second degree tear, never felt that either. No pain at all. In my experience, if I expect pain, it's like a self fulfilling profecy, but if I'm totally at peace with what I've chosen, then no pain, no ring of fire. Baby out in two pushes. 8lbs 3oz

I had the ring of fire again, Baby got stuck and I was in agony and had to do a few more pushes. Dam that hurts but no tear this time. Least its the final stage and you have nothing after but that push for your placenta after.

I had an epidural first time, so obviously I didn't feel the ring of fire, so, low and behold I was in the pool 2nd time around telling the midwife I was scared shitless about the ring of fire as I'd never felt it before... all while she sang Jonny cashs wonderful tune to me... I do love Jonny!!! Anyway ... I didn't feel the ring of fire... I have no idea why... I'm putting it down to the water???? I did feel like an animal bearing down and grunting uncontrollably but it was fine... no fire and I'd do it again in the morning!

I had fetal ejection reflex, I had no control over pushing at all! My body just did it!

This is so true!!! I never felt anything like it in my life. My body was doing it all and Inside my head was like... OMG I'm like an animal... raw nature!!!

To OP all you need to do is control your mind, because your body does the rest

This is so true!!! I never felt anything like it in my life. My body was doing it all and Inside my head was like... OMG I'm like an animal... raw nature!!!

To OP all you need to do is control your mind, because your body does the rest

Same, I could assist with pushing but really felt like it was all my contractions.

Ring of fire, wasn't painful, just intense, like the rest of labor. I didn't consider it a painful experience nor did I expect it to hurt. I just expected a very intense, natural, bodily experience. And that's what I got!

The "ring of fire" was my favorite part! I know that sounds silly but it really was. I pushed for about an hour and I was so scared I couldn't do it, that he'd never come out and the pain would just go on forever. I didn't know if I was making progress or what. Plus the staff had told me 'looks like you've got a big baby in there!' while I was pushing so I was freaked out. Anyway I'm pushing and pushing and all of a sudden I feel this burning and I get SO excited I announce to the whole room "I feel a burning! I'm going to push into the burning!" Like I've just had the greatest idea of all time, I don't remember what the nurse said but it was something like "great idea, you do that!" It's my favorite memory from labor (besides actually seeing baby of course).

Anyway, I loved it! It was such a relief to know he was almost out, that all my hard work was paying off. It didn't even hurt really, just kinda burned/stung (I didn't have an epidural)

I found out while they were stitching me up that I had a partial third degree tear, I didn't feel it though. I only guessed it was bad by how much stitching they were doing haha! And it healed fine.

Hope that helps! <3

excrutiating, like someone taking a large knife and ripping me open, but temporary

Meh, I didn't find it hurt all that much (and I was induced with Pitocin and no epidural). I know it's hard not to be scared, just remember no matter what happens your body WILL heal. <3

I don't remember feeling a ring of fire at all actually, both births (one with epidural one without) I tore in exactly the same spot, about 1cm, no big deal... the biggest thing is when you're pushing and they said stop or hold on, listen! That's when baby is coming out and the harder you push at that time the more force on the skin around... but while I thought pushing was the absolute hardest and most painful thing in the birth, I didn't feel the burning part :)

You can also do a perenial massage to help stretch the skin ahead of time and improve the elasticity, I got my husband to do it witb EPO.. it hurts but I think it helped :)

It hurts, but honestly, it's not that bad, and it's very temporary. I tore too (with my 3rd and 4th) and didn't even feel it. I had no pain relief either (including no gas and air).

It felt like Satan was pulling on every nerve in my vagina. And not a quick little pinch. No that lasted for a WHILE. I know I was cussing a lot. And yelling at people. And generally being very unpleasant. It hurt so so so bad. I seriously just wanted the baby to crawl back up into my uterus. Not looking forward to that.

I definitely didn't think it was the worst bit... definitely not. Yeah it was bad, it feels like you're splitting in half, it does burn... I yelled out "its STINGING!!!!" with my second &#55357;&#56834; But it doesn't last long at all and it's the last bit before you get your baby! I definitely think transition is worse than the ring of fire :)

Honestly I always found the pressure worse than the burning/stinging!

It's not nice. It stings/burns but it's over fast. The pressure from the baby dropping into the birth canal is much worse.

Honestly, it depends on your pain tresh-hold. I did 2 drug-free labours and don't ever recall my hooch feeling like it was on fire. Mind you, if you can make it though with barely a muffled squeal, then you can handle a fair bit of pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->