Becoming a Mom with Asperger's?

Who is This

Reaction score
Hey there...

I am just going to get directly to the point. I am diagnosed with Asperger's Autism. I am high functioning, but I do have a lot of struggles in every day life. Now I have been married for 4 years and my husband really wants a family. So do I. However, while he thinks everything will be fine I am REALLY worried about me being fit to be a Mom. I don't have anyone I can talk to this about, but I really need some advice.

Do you know any parents with autism spectrum disorders? What do you know about their experiences? Do you have an opinion on this at all? Please be honest, but try not to lynch me, thanks :)

I have no experience apart from with ASD kids, If you want a family why shouldn't you, I bet you'll make a great mum, your husband might have to help with somethings and I guess you might need some help around the house, do your have any family support? People with a range of disabilities go on to be great parents. Good luck to you.

My SIL has Aspergers and some anxiety issues to boot, they have 2 little boys and she is an excellent, excellent mother. You will surprise yourself, dont let it stop you :flower:

My OH has aspergers, he is the most amazing daddy ever! He is so caring and loving to our son and is just a lovely man in general, definitely go for it!

I have no experience of this myself but I say if you have lots of support then why not. Parenthood shouldn't just be for 'normal' people. If my son wants a family when he's older then I shall support him :thumbup: Good luck!

Hey everyone...I just wanted to say thank you to those who replied with some insight and encouragement. Do any of you know of a source for concrete advice? Not a place for therapy, more a support group maybe. I'd love to have somewhere to turn to when specific problem arise!

Hey there :) I have Asperger Syndrome too, I'm 22 and engaged to my OH. I worry about it being harder for me then for some because of my differences (and the fact social services are already involved with me), but tbh I think it's awful if anyone ever thinks that parenting should just be for "neurotypical" people! As long as we keep our future children safe, fed, clothed and happy, I don't see the problem. Xx

There is a lady on here whose husband has aspergers, can't remember her name....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->