Bed rest for short cervix, experiences?

rosegarden620

Reaction score
So had my 23 week scan. Baby looks great! No issues there. Thank God. However my cervix measured at 2.5cm (with pressure) aka 25mm. In pregnancy they like for it to be 3.5-4cm. Well considering i am nearly half that, my midwife called today to let me know just how drastic things will need to change. I'm on pelvic rest, no orgasms either 😥. I work FT in the ER, no more work 😨. I'm being referred to fetal medicine for U/S every 3 weeks to monitor the shortening (talk about the challenge on staying team yellow). She wants me to pick up my 16 months old minimally, no walking for extended periods. Because a baby before 37 weeks is definitely not in the plans.

I have a hx of dilating early and hanging around at 4-5cm easily for 4-6 weeks. I figure that's just how my body acts. Last pregnancy I was 5cm easily for two weeks and made it to 38 weeks with no issues. My second I hung out at 3cm for 3-4 weeks and delivered after spontaneous labor at 37 weeks on the dot. With my first, I was 4cm for 4-5 weeks before they induced me at 36weeks. But regardless my midwife is adamant about treating this seriously as I am only 23 weeks.

Anyone with similar experience???? Please?

No experience but just wanted to wish you all the best! :hugs:
It sounds tough, do you have a good support network around you to help out?

I do! I have an amazing support system! I am so blessed. Pretty much it's been support, the husband who is so quick to say "don't worry! We got this my love, I'll take care of us!" Or the nursing administration at my work who says, "it's ok! We got this! Let's worry about you and baby first!" Or the neighbors across the street who will say "hey, call us for help! We got this!" Or the children who say, "we will help you mommy."

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." 1Cor 13:7 ESV

It'll be ok, thank you so much for your kind words.

I'm in the UK so not sure if it's different here or not but I also have a short cervix mine measures at 2.6cm and I was discharged from consultant care and told that anything 2.5 or more was acceptable and she even said there were some arguments to say that 2cm is acceptable!

I haven't seen my midwife since that appointment I'm seeing her next week but the consultant said I should carry on as normal and that my pregnancy should go smoothly obviously they can't guarantee it will as they can't with any but she was hopeful!

I guess what I'm saying his try not to worry too much and my midwife assured me that even with a short cervix the chance of pre-term labour is quite low, happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy x

Thank you so much for your answer. Going into my 25 week now and except for the typical discomfort and swollen extremities I feel quite fine. I have a different provider this time and am hoping for a home birth so the midwife is very strict about things to be done so that chances of a home birth remain high. I'venonly ever been put on bedrest one time and it was modified bed rest at 32 weeks for pre term labor...of which I didn't really follow. I researched this as well and found that there is only a 20% chance of pre term labor in women with a cervix between 2-2.5cm.

Also read that 80% of women will carry to term.... So the numbers are in my favor. I just want to be cleared for light duty so I can go back to work. But no one wants me at work until I'm cleared. Bah!

I'm also hoping for a home birth and have been given the green light by consultant, as I said I've not seen my midwife yet I'm booked to see her a week on Tue when I'll be 25w!

Hope you get clearance to go back to work soon, obviously take it easy and listen to your body you know best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->