bed time and mixed receptive-expressive language disorder

MrsC8776

Mom to twin girls!!
Reaction score
One of my twin girls has been diagnosed with mixed receptive-expressive language disorder. I don't doubt this one bit because she truly doesn't seem to understand basic things that I say. I'm really struggling with bed time. For her to go to sleep I have to lay down with her on my bed and have one arm over her. It's like she needs that pressure on her. I've tried to do sleep training with her (before seeking help) and after 3 weeks I gave up. I never let her just cry, I sit there next to her bed. We were both so stressed out it wasn't good for either of us. She will honestly scream for hours if I let her and I can't do that. My problem is she doesn't understand when I say "lay down." I don't know what to do. Bed time takes anywhere from an hour to 3 hours.

I guess I'm just trying to see how others in this section have done sleep training with their child or have at least gotten bed time to be easier. I'm really struggling between the two of them on my own. Her sister will usually go to bed just fine and sleep training worked with her.

I have no advice, I'm sorry, I just wanted to send a hug. Have you tired a weighted blanket perhaps? Jude used to love his in SCBU! x

Thank you so much for your reply. I just looked up weighted blankets because I've never thought of that. Seems like a great idea! We have an assessment with EI next Tuesday. She seems to have sensory problems so maybe they can tell me if this is a good idea for her.

Thank you again!

I'd definitely second the weighted blanket suggestion.

You could also look up a basic sensory diet (search online) and see if any of those could get her centered or grounded before its bedtime.

Kesslie's receptive language was terrible until about 2 months ago, so I feel your frustration. Hopefully it "clicks" for her soon.

Thank you! Were you able to help her yourself with the language or is it something she just had to work at herself? I'm sure they will explain it more to me at her assessment but yes it is very fristrating. "No" to her is a joke even when she should be able to see that I'm being serious

You could also look up a basic sensory diet (search online) and see if any of those could get her centered or grounded before its bedtime.

Kesslie's receptive language was terrible until about 2 months ago, so I feel your frustration. Hopefully it "clicks" for her soon.

Thank you! Were you able to help her yourself with the language or is it something she just had to work at herself? I'm sure they will explain it more to me at her assessment but yes it is very fristrating. "No" to her is a joke even when she should be able to see that I'm being serious

She's been in early intervention for 7 months now, and I'm quite sure that helped a ton with her language. But part of it was just maturing enough. She really did just suddenly start "getting it" one day, and started talking almost immediately after that.

Hi. Weighted blankets are great but I have found that these sheets ( https://laceandfabric.com/Lycra-Bed-Sheet-Twin-Full-or-Queen-Bed-Autistic-Sensory-lycrabedsheet.htm)
are the best for actually sleeping.

I am not a mom yet but I work in special ed and do home-based services so I have seen these work wonders.

Hi. Weighted blankets are great but I have found that these sheets ( https://laceandfabric.com/Lycra-Bed-Sheet-Twin-Full-or-Queen-Bed-Autistic-Sensory-lycrabedsheet.htm)
are the best for actually sleeping.

I am not a mom yet but I work in special ed and do home-based services so I have seen these work wonders.
Oh, and that's a REALLY good price too! Weighted blankets can run over $100 easily.

Unrelated, Menelly - I love your Sig. I have wanted an autism-related tattoo for awhile but was trying to explain to a coworker with a blue puzzle piece tattoo why I didn't want to get a puzzle piece tattoo. I said in a room full of autism professionals "well some folks with autism challenge the puzzle iconagrophy because they don't like to think of themselves as a problem that needs to be solved." and they all looked at me like I had two heads! Made me so sad. This is why I chose to get my Masters in Disability Studies rather than Special Ed.

Also, I have a connective tissue disorder - EDS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->