bedtime routine seems to work

T

tinytoes

we used to try and get our LO to sleep around 8. But it was always hard. He'd feed at 7 after his bath, then fall asleep on my lap only to wake 20 minuets later and be wide awake. He'd then not go off until gone 9 or even 10.
Well, I had enough so last week I put him to bed as soon as he fell asleep at 7 eventhough I felt sure he'd wake up and be ready to play again. We've done this for the last 6 nights and amazingly it's worked!! He still wakes after 30 minutes and I feed him, refuse to make much eye contact and dont talk to him (I basically treat it like a night feed) but he goes back off to sleep again!!! It's amazing - we've had 5 evenings to ourselves and I feel so much more human! I think it's better that he doesnt get overly tired and actually goes to bed as soon as he's sleepy. An earlier bedtime seems much less stress to achieve for all of us.

Tonight wasnt quite so easy, as he fought going back off for an hour, but i'm still hopeful of getting a reasonable nightime routine going without having to resort to the cry it out technique.

so our routine is as follows - it's a bit of a mess at the end but i'm still delighted:

RULE: No naps after 4.45.
5pm - I start Teddy's naked playtime (basically to make him tired!!) - strip him off and he plays on his mat in his bedroom for an hour or more. He loves to not have his clothes on and we do lots of tummy time, rolling about and very active play while listening to his nursery rhymes cds.
5.30 - Daddy comes home and joins playtime. We all play and the grown ups sup tea and eat biscuis too.
6.15 - bathtime. Lots of splashing and action (more activity to make him tired!!).
7.00 - downstairs to feed. LO generally dozes off mid feed and I take him back up to bed. (I used to feed him in his room but he used to get a bit wound up so while the downstairs feeding works I'll keep it like that)
7.30 - 8.15 refeed newly awakened baby (He is a hungry evening baby!) and off to sleepyland he goes. Hooray!

We even had friends over for dinner the other night! We're like real people again!! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->