Being judged because I want a natural birth :(

Don't some people in Canada just get midwives to assist with the pregnancy process? Do they all actually want homebirths?

Don't some people in Canada just get midwives to assist with the pregnancy process? Do they all actually want homebirths?

Well, in Canada it depends which province you're in as our health care system is provincial based. Here in Ontario for example, you can have either midwives or OBGYN but not both. However, the midwife is always backed up by and OBGYN in case of complications. I will have two midwives at birth and I get the follow up 6 weeks (post birth) visits too which is awesome! Midwifery care (and OBGYN care) are both fully funded by the government of Ontario.

No, not everyone with a midwife wants them to give birth at home. My own prefenernce is still to give birth at a hospital. I will be going to a hospital where my midwife has priviledges and so I can have a natural birth but be in a hospital. In my opnion this is the best of both worlds as I would feel totally safe and confident and I know that my midwife supports my birth philosophy. A couple of my friends have used midwives at the exact same hospital for birth and they whole heartedly recommended it to me :)

In Ontario at least, only 1 out of 5 women under miwives give birth at home.

I had a meeting with my doula today and she said out of 62 births she's attended, only 2 of them have been at home, so even women here in Canada who choose midwives and doula services choose hospital births or birthing centres, not home. Same for my midwife, I am only her 3rd home birth client as the vast majority choose hospital (as the birthing centre isn't open for a few weeks, it's brand new)

thanks ladies, my DH 100% supports me as well and that's all that matters. I have actually stopped discussing this matter with ppl as I just don't feel like explaining it all to them.

I have only one friend who delivered naturally and she has now moved to Victoria. We've been emailing though and she said she got the exact same reaction about her birth that what I'm going through. Whaty surprised me the most is the men (with no uterus....hahah) telling me that i'll change my mind.

I'm not even 100% opposed to drugs and I know the benefits of having them around. I just choose to go in with a frame of mind that I won't need them hopefully :)

Thank you for all your input and support ladies :)

I live in Victoria and I just found out that it has the HIGHEST c-section rate in ALL of Canada! That scares the crap out of me and just reinforces my decision to have a natural birth with a midwife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->