Benefits & bnbs.. Help?

cuttttiee

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I'm 5 1/2 months pregnant, got kicked out of my mam's yesterday. Went to council (put in a form four weeks ago) and was told that because me & my OH aren't a joint claim, we have to pay £25 a night for a bnb. Is this correct?

I'm in a sticky situation because although I love my OH, I haven't been with him long enough to trust him to be safe with my money too, plus he has his car, car insurance coming out of his account so I don't want my money to end up paying for his car.

Also, if we were to make a joint claim, does that mean we don't get income support?

And what happens every time he goes to sign on, does he have to confirm my details?

Did he get kicked our your mams too? X

Is he baby's dad? Would you not rather do a joint claim then you can get somewhere together?
I'm not sure if the job seekers will replace your income support because you won't be looking for work but he will be. Hopefully someone else will be able to help with that x

You are wrongly claiming income support as a single person if he is living with you you really need to get that changed before you get into trouble. You will be entitled to the couples rate of jobseekers which will be more than what you get now.

You are wrongly claiming income support as a single person if he is living with you you really need to get that changed before you get into trouble. You will be entitled to the couples rate of jobseekers which will be more than what you get now.

Yes she's right if you live together it should be a joint claim x

I'm not claiming income support yet, it's just I know that when I get to 29 weeks my claim will be switched to income support x

Is he baby's dad? Would you not rather do a joint claim then you can get somewhere together?
I'm not sure if the job seekers will replace your income support because you won't be looking for work but he will be. Hopefully someone else will be able to help with that x

Yeah he is, I would but I just don't want my money going to somebody elses account

I have another question, you ladies might be able to help with
I'm gunna go CAB on monday but anyway

If I didn't put in a joint claim, could I claim for housing benefit to help me pay the rent for the bnb? Because It's £25 a night, I only get £100 a fortnight :(

If I didn't put in a joint claim, could I claim for housing benefit to help me pay the rent for the bnb? Because It's £25 a night, I only get £100 a fortnight :(

I'm really not benefit savvy but I'll try to help, if you are on just benefits (no job at all) then they will pay your rent so your b&b fees, my friend had to quit her job when she had to go in a hostel because the rent was ridiculous and she got it all paid. If you are living with your boyfriend though you will have to put in a joint claim though or you will be committing benefit fraud no ifs or buts. The joint claim money could go into your bank account rather than your boyfriends if you don't think he can be trusted. How stressful this must be for you :hugs:

Sorry edit to add - are you on jobseekers at the moment? If you are then you should still be on a joint claim with your partner if he lives with you.

You should get help with rent with or without the joint claim but I'm not
exactly sure how it all works.
If you put in a single claim and live with him you will end up with money stopped and to payback what you owe. You need to tell them all changes and should of let them know when he moved into your mums :flower:

The only way you can claim as a 'single' person is if he wasn't going to live with you, so if he has somewhere else to go- then that's fine.

You will get housing benefit to cover the rent. Being under 25 you will get the 'room in a shared house rate' if your OH isn't there. Or the 1 bedroom rate if your boyfriend is there. So it might actually work out better if you go onto the joint claim.

If you put your postcode in here- it will tell you how much housing benefit to expect.

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/BedRoomCalculator.aspx

Sorry I'm not much help but when I was on a joint claim with FOB the money went into my account. I managed our money so requested it came to me. Just a thought.

If you are a couple you should be claiming as such.

Hi :wave:

If you are living together you have to put in for a joint claim, if you claim seperate whilst living together you will get in trouble for benefit fraud. Whilst on the joint claim you get the same amount of job seekers each as you do now it will just be put together. You can request it to go in you bank. Or you could open a new bank account for the money to go in? You will get more housing benefit on a joint claim and they will pay for the bnb.
When you go onto income support, because its a joint claim your OH will be put onto your income support claim, he won't have to go and sign on every 2 weeks, but he may have to go to the job clubs or work experience programmes if the jobcenter decide to put him on it.

Hope this helps and congratulations on your pregnancy xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->