Benefits of partial breastfeeding?

bky

:(
Reaction score
There is lots of info on why babies should be EBF, but I've found hardly any on the benefits of getting some breast milk.
I know it's not a topic talked about often for a myriad of reasons. The possibility that it will encourage combo feeding in those that might otherwise EBF, and women with actual insufficient milk are a minority to name a few.
I haven't found much information stressing the benefits of partial breastfeeding that doesn't apply to older babies that are partially on solids. One small note on Kellymom leading to an article in regards to weaning is pretty much it.

I hear a lot that it's good to get as much as possible, but there is so much more out there on how formula basically undoes any good in breast milk. I can't think I've seen much promoting the benefits of some breast milk.

Sorry, just having another bad day. Just want something to make myself feel better :cry:

I think personally that any breast milk given to a baby is a good thing. No, a great thing. I have had issues with BF and felt terrible about my LO not getting any BM. As a mother you do all you can for the good of your LO and we all know BM is best for baby so efforts to give baby your milk should be recognised and celebrated???

I agree, I imagine that ANY breast milk would be a great thing! I have never read anything about FF undoing the goodness of BM.
My Midwife in hospital said to me that she genuinely believed that ANY amount of BFeeding was better than none. and thet even if I only fed Georgia for a few hours then I would give her some benifits! so i guess this extends to the idea of partial breast feeding too hun!

Ahhh i had a very long chat with my midwife about this, when my daughter was first born...

ANY breastmilk is better than no breastmilk.. if your baby is fed once on the breast it's better than nothing, but every time your baby is fed on the breast it's obviously better.. how can a bottle undo, the goodness of breastmilk, it's not going to remove the antibodies which you have passed onto your baby.. it might slightly change or alter your babies weight gain, but it doesn't undo any goodness from the breastmilk you've given them..

if i'm honest at first i wasn't sure about breastfeeding, but wanted to give it a go, and my midwife said once was better than nothing, then i said i'd like to at least try it daily and she said even if it was one feed a day it's better than nothing, but i fell in love with it.. and do it pretty much all the time!!
xxxx

Thanks for this post bky. I agree 100% that some is better than none. Ladies like us that cannot provide 100% BM to our babes often feel left out. Here's one of the issues of the BM literature - it often expresses us as "that 1-2% that cannot BF" and then goes on to talk about either exclusive breastfeeding, exclusive expressing, combo feeding (older infants/toddlers), or exclusive formula feeding. I (and others, I'm sure) often feel left in the dust. 1-2% is a lot of women when you consider millions of babies are born each year.

I know this chart is dedicated to 100% BF but a lot of it's good qualities can apply to us too!

Attachments

• BFResonstobeproud[1].jpg
    BFResonstobeproud[1].jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 29
The only thing I've heard of formula "un-do"ing is changing the flora in the gut and making the digestive system a slightly different pH. All of the other benefits of breastfeeding/breastmilk still remain even if your baby is only getting a few ounces. Breastmilk is more easily digested, some of the vitamins/nutrients are more easily absorbed, you are passing on all sorts of wonderful antibodies that are changing every day depending what you are exposed to, baby has less risk of developing certain conditions later in life, baby receives comfort and warmth from the breast. Not to mention the benefits for you - burning calories to aid in losing pregnancy weight, reduced risk for certain conditions, etc. I'm not positive on the specifics about exactly how much BM they need in order to reduce their risk for xx disease by xx percent, but they are still reaping many good benefits by you giving as much BM as you can.

Hi. I have a baby who is 3 months old.. My milk came in very late as a result of which i gave him bottle milk. Later i took tablets, herbal supplements etc and my milk came in. Then i started breastfeeding. My baby comfortably had milk and again cried for the bottle. I thought it to be fine and offered him both each time he was hungry. After his 3 months are over i resumed working and now my baby is on a BF strike. He wants only bottles... I am not understanding how to get him back to the breast and also is partial breast feeding OK? or i am just wasting my time.... Could anyone suggest me pls?????

I also have a 3 month old.
I had trouble breastfeeding from the beginning, and my dr had to prescribe medication that I'd produce more milk.
I pump and give her what I can and formula. Because of being bottle fed she pretty much has forgotten what the breasts are for, and that she has to work for the benefits lol so she gets upset now because it isn't instant food.
I felt bad but not any more, I still pump but breastfeeding for me just wasn't meant to be so I am not going to stress over it - she's still getting some of the good stuff. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->