Best baby milk formula?

A

AppleBlossom

I am planning on breastfeeding for as long as I can but I've been told not to just rely on breastmilk as sometimes baby will decide it won't take to the breast and so you should still keep bottles and formula in just incase such a thing happens at like, 11pm on a sunday night when everywheres closed.

What does everyone think is the best formula to get?

Hiya! I will be using Aptamil, it's supposed to be the one that is closest to breast milk you can get, but i don't know for sure if that is correct, I read it online.

Aptamil as its closest to breast milk

we tried cow & gate and SMA gold and neither agreed with Lilia, she projectile vomited 5oz of SMA gold all over me and in her carseat! Then we tried Aptamil and i've gotta say...its by far the best for her. She struggled to gain weight until we introduced aptamil and between a fri and mon she put on a whole pound! She never brings much back up with it either and her poo seems to look like an exclusively BF baby's stool. Only thing we struggle with is that none of our convenience shops in our village sell it (even the co-op!) they only stock aptamil 2 & 3

It is slightly more expensive than the others but definitely worth it!

Personally after giving many women advice on this subject with the pharmacist (I used to work at Boots for 2 years) was to use Aptamil because as someone has already mentioned its nutritional value is as close to breastmilk as possible.

I personally am going to breastfeed as long as possible too, and will switch onto Aptamil if baby fails to latch on and like...On another personal note, some people may know about SMA as produced by Nestle. I wouldn't buy this milk because of the value's behind the company, as for many years now, world action groups have been boycotting the company itself for finding it responsible for more violations of the marketing requirements for baby food than any other company. At boots we have also had more recalls for SMA Milk than any other due to the wrong levels of certain ingreidients (sp?) than any other brand. Recalls within the baby food/milk department are rare, but shouldn't happen, who keeps baby milk for a long time in their cupboard, the same amount of time before it gets recalled? Not very many I dont suppose.

Sorry for the rant, im one of those people. Hope no-one gets worried by my post :(

Very interesting thread. I'm probably going to get shot down by a lot of people (not neccessarily here, but doctors, midwives etc) as I have absolutely no intention of breastfeeding. I know there are associated health benefits which you can't argue with but I don't agree with the bonding arguments etc.

Anyway it's my decision and no-one elses. Ouch, that sounds a tad defensive huh? Think what I'll be like in another 8 months!!! However it does leave me wondering what milk to use. My mum used SMA for my brother and I and we never had any problems, so I was tending towards that. But my friend who is breast feeding her little one (4mths) at the moment uses Aptimel for the bedtime feed and has introduced it as her afternoon feed as well as she is starting to think about getting her off the breast and onto the bottle.

I think I might be tempted by Aptimel after all, just need to do some thorough research. I'm currently a wee bit scared to look into this stuff until I get out of the danger zone though so it was good to see something on here

Nic, Aptimel will be the closest you will get to breastmilk, and everyone knows nutritionally thats the best. Upto you, but if you want the healthiest and best milk to go for i'd say try Aptimel.

I know what you mean about not wanting to look into things so early, I already want to buy stuff, I just want it to be here now, & i'm only just 6 weeks. Im further than i've ever been before though so finger's crossed.

Fab hun, I tried to ask you a question on the early scan thread, but you've just answered it. Sending you sticky dust for your bean hunny and thanks for the advice on Aptimel.

I feel a spreadsheet of costs coming on!!! The things I will do to make the days pass!!!

Although currently I plan to breastfeed, to give it a go, I am still unsure how I feel about it so we have brought SMA, Aptimel and Cow and Gate to see which one she get's on with.

I have bought cow & gate but i will just see what she takes to when she is born. Either way, i will buy what my baby likes best

xxx

Sorry Nic I only just realized the question in the other thread. Im a dummy I swear I read it earlier but I was just like OBLIVIOUSSSS!

sorry i know this is not the question, but i was just reading everyones posts and was thinking hmm Aptimel and then i had a thought - do they have Aptimel in all hospitals? its just my youngest is 4 and when i was in hospital with him i was offered the choice of cow + gate or sma, that was it.

Tinkerbell i'm not quite sure, its easier to get SMA and Cow & Gate wholesale/bulk as its a more established brand. Aptimel is as I remember quite expensive also.

i havent even though about this as i plan on BF suppose i should get a packin just in case x

Aptamil is only an extra 50p per tin (roughly) than SMA & cow&gate. At the end of the day its down to what suits baby best and who can say that every baby will suit aptamil or SMA etc. Its all down to trial and error and we bought the ready made cartons to test as its a lot less money to waste if LO hates it and thats how we discovered Lilia is very sick on SMA

^ Ah I was wrong about the price. Opps.

True it's what your baby take's to. I wouldn't disagree with that at all.

I bought cow and gate. seems good enough. decided against aptamil last minute

What changed your mind? If you don't mind me asking. Just a matter of interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->