Best book and/or classes for natural birthing?

HaileysMommy1

TTC baby #3!
Reaction score
Anybody have any recommendations on a good book I can read and/or classes I can take to help educate and prepare me for natural birthing? I will be doing it in a hospital, but I'd like to be active with no medications. I don't know much about all the labor positions, breathing and relaxation techniques, delivery positions, after-birth stuff like kangaroo care, I want to learn about all of this stuff. TCOYF was like my fertility bible when preventing AND trying to get pregnant, so something like that that I can refer to and to help prepare me would be wonderful.

Any recommendations appreciated! Thanks!

Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth is great. I also really liked a little book called Natural Birth by Kristina Turner, though I've never heard anyone else mention it on here.

Also, I would highly recommend doing some sort of hypnotherapy practice (natal hypnotherapy, hypnobirthing, etc.). I really think it was one of the main reasons why labour was so easy for me. I just got on with it at home, was totally calm and just breathing through contractions and really relaxed, mostly on my own or with my husband for most of my labour. By the time I actually bothered to call the midwives, I was already fully dilated and ready to push. I think learning to breathe, stay relaxed, and having a positive attitude (which I got from hypnotherapy) made this possible. I did Natal Hypnotherapy, but there are lots of approaches. The book from Natal Hypnotherapy (Effective Birth Preparation by Maggie Howell) is also fantastic!

I'm using Natal Hypnotherapy also. Love it so far but obviously haven't gotten to the labor/delivery part yet ;)

Would defo recommend finding a Bradley Method childbirth instructor in your area... DH and I did this series of classes and it has more than equipped us with the knowledge and preparation necessary to achieve a natural childbirth. It also provides a wealth of knowledge so you can be comfortable in turning down things that may be offered in a hospital setting and knowing when something is necessary and when it's not. I wish we were doing a homebirth as we are very comfortable with the idea at this point, but it's obviously too late for me to make a switch! Besides I have a very supportive doctor who I love so I'm very confident I will be successfull given no unexpected complications arise!! GL :thumbup:

Both of Ina May Gaskin's books are great and I just finished Peggy Vincent's Baby Catcher and I loved it! I also highly recommend anything by Sheila Kitzinger. I'll be lurking for other suggestions as well!

Thank you for all of the suggestions ladies!

As far as hypnotherapy, is it important to take the class or would it be enough to just buy the book? The classes are so expensive!

Will also look into the Bradley Method, and all of the books suggested!

:flower:

Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth is great. I also really liked a little book called Natural Birth by Kristina Turner, though I've never heard anyone else mention it on here.

Also, I would highly recommend doing some sort of hypnotherapy practice (natal hypnotherapy, hypnobirthing, etc.). I really think it was one of the main reasons why labour was so easy for me. I just got on with it at home, was totally calm and just breathing through contractions and really relaxed, mostly on my own or with my husband for most of my labour. By the time I actually bothered to call the midwives, I was already fully dilated and ready to push. I think learning to breathe, stay relaxed, and having a positive attitude (which I got from hypnotherapy) made this possible. I did Natal Hypnotherapy, but there are lots of approaches. The book from Natal Hypnotherapy (Effective Birth Preparation by Maggie Howell) is also fantastic!

Completely agree! Ina May's book... and hypnobirthing. I didn't follow the hypnobirthing guide... but focused more on the principles of getting inside my head and focusing my breathing. I really zoned out in labour and would sleep between contractions... even in the birth pool. :) I had zero drugs as I was at home... and it was an amazing experience!! :cloud9:

I have been given a good book "The Hypnobirthing Book" by Katharine Graves - it is a guide for a calm, confident and natural birth. I am still working through it as my baby is not due until August, I am trying to find out whether anyone else has used the techniques in this book?

Another vote for Natal Hypnotherapy here - I used the book (effective birth preparation) and 4 cd programme, backed up with the 2 day-courses, and had a completely pain free and drug free labour and home birth.

I can't really afford the classes so I follow a prenatal yoga DVD every day at home, it has great breathing exercises, meditation, stretches, and each exercise is modified for each stage of pregnancy. I also have a book that I have yet to start reading called "Birthing From Within" by Pam England and Rob Horowitz. It has gotten great reviews, I really need to start reading it soon

If any of you ladies like, feel free to follow or look through my pinterest board on pregnancy and baby, I've posted a bunch of links about healthy diet during pregnancy, prenatal exercises, pelvic floor exercises, positions for relief during labor, coping methods, and exercises to get your baby into the best position for birth, as well as turning a posterior baby, and post partum recovery too. From looking through these links I will definitely couple some aroma therapy with different positions or exercises to get my through the stages of labor. A lot of the links I've snagged from a certified doula too :thumbup:
https://pinterest.com/norasmommy1988/pregnancy-and-baby/

Ina May's book is great, I also like "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer. My fave "text book" style basic book is "Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn" by Simkin, Whalley, Keppler, Durham, and Bolding.

I also highly recommend hypnotherapy of some sort. I'm a doula(not currently practicing, but attended 25 births as a doula last year) and have mostly worked with clients using either Hypnobirthing or Hypnobabies. I've seen mixed results with classroom vs. home study. I DEFINITELY recommend taking a NON-HOSPITAL childbirth Ed class and talking extensively with your OB or midwife about what kind of birth you're wanting and how they will support that long before the third trimester. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->