Best cloth for newborn ?

emmi26

Pregnant
Reaction score
Hi again
So after watching the videos on you tube and going on the recommended sites I now understand a lot more about cloth nappies and we are definitely going to be using them for peanut :)
The only bit I'm confused by at the moment is which cloth nappies are best for a newborn ? Would it be pre fold and a cover ?
What did you use ?

Oh and wipes ? I saw something about reusable wipes but not sure how that works ?

Thankyou again

Emma

Hi! I am curious as well. I have started a small collection. So far in newborn sizes we have prefolds, fitteds and two aios. I imagine using prefolds during the day (because they are the cheapest option) and fitteds and aios at night (because they're easier in the dark...?). The only experience I have with them is trying them on my niece for a day =). But, not newborn, she was just under 2 at the time.

I used pockets on LO when he was newborn. they worked okay. They eventually got leaks and I hated stuffing them, but they were all synthetic fibers. I switched to natural fiber diapers, mostly flats, and have had no problems with leaks since.

If we have another, I'm sticking with natural fiber diapers only for them! I am trying to decide whether to stick with flats all around or not, they are just so darn easy to wash.

For my lg I used little lamb and tots bots fitteds with wraps. They were amazing at containing all that explosive poo at the beginning, and were simple to use (ie just wash, dry, pop on bum. No stuffing or folding) which was great for the early days.

Fitteds are also pretty absorbent, and using a wrap means you have a second line of defense against leaks.

Maybe you could hire a kit from your local cloth nappy library to see what suits you best?

Reusable wipes are the bees knees IMO! So easy when using cloth nappies too. You can buy little kits from places like Cheeky wipes (that's what I have) or just buy a bundle of wipes from retailers, or even off eBay, or you can even make your own.

They are basically little squares, like a mini face cloth, which you use to clean baby, then pop it in the wash with your nappies. Some people soak them in a tub and keep them wet, some wet as they go, some use a spray bottle on to bum then use the wipe....whatever suits them best :)

I didn't use cloth when my LO was newborn, but I do use it on her now. I use all in ones and some pockets with her, and plan on getting plenty more for the new baby to use as soon as he/she is big enough (usually 10lbs ish apparently). In the mean time I am stocking up on Little Lambs size 1's with some motherease wraps, and hopefully some newborn all in one (like tots bots tiny fit or bumgenius newborn). I had originally planned on just using muslin cloths and wraps to be honest, but now think back to the newborn days the easier the nappy the better lol. I may get some muslins just for back up - but I think fitteds will be more practical! Good luck, you'll love cloth, I know I do :)

I'd vote for fitteds and wraps for a newborn, maybe with a few one-part nappies (AIOs, pockets etc) for out and about and cute-factor when showing fluff to family/friends! With fitteds you get the advantage of two layers so double the chance of catching explosive poos! The two layers also means there's more room for getting it not quite right - if one layer doesn't work, the other is there to keep things inside. There is no folding which is good for night times, when you need to be quick or for reluctant nappy changers, plus less chance of getting it wrong than with flats.

Flats would be my second choice - they're cheaper and more adjustable but there is also more room for error. I prefer terries to prefolds as they dry quicker and are more versatile. On a newborn, I wouldn't plan to just lay a prefold inside a wrap, I'd expect to fold around baby and fasten with a nippa so you get the same advantages as a terry/fitted.

For wraps, I like wraps with a nice double gusset to help keep everything inside.

I'd definitely second the idea of borrowing a newborn kit from a nappy library. I wouldn't expect to start using one size nappies until LO is about 4-6 weeks old but if you buy newborn nappies for only that time it can feel wasteful (although it's not - it cost me less than sposies for the same time once I'd sold nappies on). A nappy library will probably lend you a kit for a month, maybe more so you could go straight to bigger nappies that will last a bit longer.

I love cloth wipes! You can keep them wet or dry (and just run them under a tap when needed) and then use them like any other wipe. They're chemical free and nice and soft. If you're using cloth nappies, it's a real faff to bag up disposables separately. Cloth wipes just go in the bucket with the nappies.

I've got a mix for squish due any day, so will try and record what works best for us and the pros and cons.

They're all preloved eBay/Facebook bargains because I made a conscious effort not to buy new for such a short period (I have a massive stash of BTP pockets).

From day one:
Muslins and wraps
Teenyfits (mainly for husband)
Small prefolds
A few BG XS AIO

Size 1:
Little lamb fitteds
Tots bots fitted
Itti Bitti D'Lish

The Teenyfits and Ittis are mostly for husband's use as he never got to grips with two-parters with DS1 :)

This is the pretty part of the stash ;)
https://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m602/tulip1uk/Baby%20Bagel/20140614_162933_zpsmrtvh7oq.jpg
https://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m602/tulip1uk/Baby%20Bagel/PhotoGrid_1402667904495_zpshua7hacq.jpg

I love prefolds for newborns. They're really easy to customize the size to fit your baby and I never got any leaks. :)

I used prefolds with a snappy (nappy nippa) to get a good fit on those spindly legs, and I could fold so as to avoid the umbillicus at the start, with fleece liners and good gusseted covers for the first couple of months. They contained everything and were easy to wash and get dry, which was important with that many changes. I moved on to BTP pockets when he was bigger, with sized fitteds for nights, but at the start there isn't much difference between night and day anyway regarding feeding and changing! I made some cloth wipes as I got fed up with having a bin for wipes and a bucket for nappies - it's so much easier to put them all in together. I just used an old towel ripped up and sewn onto a cotton velour that I bought one metre of - that made about 20 wipes and I'm still using them 18 months later. I just put a wee stack of them in an old ice cream tub and wet with a bottle of water as I go. I carry a travel pack of normal wipes when out and about as I'm not organised enough to remember to wet some and pack them and take them out again and I know I'd end up with a load of mouldy wipes if I did but you may be better than me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->