Best gift for a preemie?

bananaz

Reaction score
A friend of mine just had her little boy at almost 35 weeks along. She was already being monitored for IUGR before the baby suddenly decided to make an early appearance last week (he came so fast she ended up delivering him herself at home!). He weighed 4lbs 11oz at birth and he's still in the NICU but is making progress and should hopefully be going home in a couple of weeks.

I'm wondering what items you ladies have found useful for your preemies, or maybe something you wished you'd had but didn't? I live a few hours away from them so unfortunately I'm not able to go cook or clean or help with their other kids, so I'm hoping I can at least send them something.

I would get her the same gift you would have got if baby wasnt early. I think with a small baby every one thinks oh il get her some tiny baby clothes but they soon grow out of them.

Tbh although they might grow out of them, that special outfit may be one mum might keep forever. I've just cleared out baby clothes and there are several outfits so tiny I'll never throw out, things from my best friend etc.

I wished someone had bought me a life in the NICU journal. You can get them online. I bought one for someone on here. Normal baby record books don't quite cover the beginning of a preemies life!

A nice soft toy for in her cot (if they let them have them - or when they make it out of NICU into transitional care) or a nice blanket for similar... and some nice hand cream for mum - because those hand gels and hospital hand washes wreck the living snot out of your hands after a few days (I hit the point of gritting my teeth and sobbing in pain when washing my hands they got so destroyed).

At the size you're talking about my daughter outgrew "early baby" clothes very very quickly - but was in "tiny baby" clothes for another good month (she was 4lb 15 when born). Some of the outfits still have immense sentimental value as you can't quite believe this 17lb lump of 6 month old ever actually fitted, let alone was swamped by them!

Or you could do what lots of people do and buy a few sizes ahead - but gawd that depressed me a bit - getting adorable 0-3month outfits that she was never going to wear for AGES!

^ I know, some nutter bought us 18-24months and shes only just in them at 3 :rofl:

I'd go with what Atomic Pink suggested. I have kept 2 special baby grows, his first ever when he was allowed to wear clothes and also another was a gift. They are now in his baby box.

It's amazing bringing them out now as I cannot believe he was ever that tiny. It makes me proud of how far he has come. I can't believe when I see newborn stuff in the shops even now and I think to myself how tiny they look but even they were too big for him until he was 3 months old.

Yeah, I would agree with everyone on the preemie clothes.

My daughter was also IUGR born at 34 weeks at 3 lbs. I had NOTHING that fit her. She still wears some of the preemie clothes and some newborn depending on the manufacturer. Carter's makes cute little sleep and plays that run small, even the preemie clothes are super tiny! I gave a lot of what she outgrew to the NICU because preemie clothes are hard to find here (they NOW just started selling them at the one store). I kept a few because they were my favorite and I like to look at how tiny she was. I will keep them forever.

And I also agree about how looking at any clothes that are sizes ahead can be depressing. Some family/friends bought clothes that I don't think she can wear until high school! Lol.

I fwould go with pj's with the integral mits on, my first preemie slept with socks on his wee hands as scratch mits etc were too big lol with baby no2 I made sure I got ones with the fold over mits xx

Hi when my baby was in NICU i was so scared of putting anything in his incubator so i did a lot of looking on the internet and got a Cuskiboo ( u can get one off amazon)

its the only NHS approved incubator toy, my baby loved his and its great for mum to take away and use for sent for baby and milk, i would 100% recommend this for any baby and NICU mummy xx

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->