Best & Worst Buys

anita665

Mum of 2 & expecting 3rd
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe everyone could share with us what the best and worst things are that you have bought for you're baby. Especially those who already have babies.

What have you found most useful & what was a waste of money?

Im only expecting my first..so I cant help. But my friend said the best thing she ever bought was the swing. Said it was a life saver. She can get all the housework done and have a bath/shower and her son just sits there happily in his swing whilst watchin tweenies n all other kids shows!

Best:
Tommie Tippie nappy wrapper
Bumbo
Any bouncy chair (cheaper ones will do but the musical ones are nice)
Avent Steriliser
Lindam night and day feeding system
Baby walker - although I broke ours, oops.

Worst:
Avent bottle warmer - good when they're little but as they get older a microwave will do just as well to be honest (just shake to get rid of hot spots).
Door bouncer - They're cute, but we never used it.. whether thats because it's not our house or not, I don't know but it's just the kind of thing you put away and forget about. The little ones you can buy are a good idea though.
Baby bath and top and tail bowl - A top and tail bowl is a good idea, but you can easily buy a small bowl for a lot cheaper. Next baby, we are just going to buy a bath support to go in the big bath as they outgrow those little plastic baths so quickly!

I can't think of anything really BAD i've bought Bethanie, except 1 thing, a bath seat from Tesco. It wasn't cheap, but it was blue plastic and would scratch her legs when you tried to take her out of it.

Best
* Bjorn Sling
* Bath Support
* Bath Seat (For a bit older than the bath support, but before they can seat for long periods)
* Bracelet Teether
* Pushchair/ Carseat Support
* Microwave Steriliser
* Activity Ring
* Bouncer Chair
* A Blender - Brilliant for the weaning stage
* Lots of Storage pots for freezing food.

Worst

* Electric Steriliser - Always used the Microwave one
* Cot Top Changer - Just used for clean ironing!
* Changing Station - Again just used for clean ironing and storage.
* Dummies - Neither of them will entertain the idea
* Lots of bottles and different flow teats - Breastfed almost exclusively and they wouldn't take bottles very well.
* Booties - Never wore them.
* Bottle Warmer - Its easier and quicker using boiling water in a jug, plus I ended up brestfeeding
* Baby bath - Pain in the bum, just used the bath or sink.
* Far too many clothes Newborn to 3mths when thats the period they seem to grow the most. Also had lots of hand knitted cardigans knitted (About 10) in neautral colours, but once they were born they wore blue or pink.
* Table corner protectors - Ky just peeled them off.
* Two Hand knitted shawls - Always used blankets as the shaws were too long.

I've also bought a Tommee Tippee breast pump, which to this day I have not used.

Thats all I can think of for now!

Its my first, but def the best thing we have brought is the pram, the worst I don't know yet

dont know about best buy but my best bargain was a bouncy chair east coast design off a certain well known auction sight for £16 inc postage and packaging and delivery.. wouldnt say worst but i have overdone buying clothes as i cant seem to resist anything small.. just know she isnt going to have a chance to wear them all before she has outgrown them..ooopps

worst;
baby carrier as to difficult to get her in and out...
foam bath support (never used still in wrapper!!)
breast pump (couldn't express a dam thing and felt like a cow trying!)

best;
baby dan food grinder (ace for puree-ing food out and about, or even at home)
gro bags (she kept waking up at night after kicking the blanket off and it stopped me worrying about suffocation)

Best & most handiest thing is the avent formula dispenser.....so handy in the middle of the night when ur too sleepy to count scoops and also for when we go out we dnt have to buy the small cartons of milk or carry the whole tub of formula with us!

The worst thing has to be the Nappy wrapper/bin, it seems such a good idea but my god it stinks! Its so much easier using nappy bags and chucking straight in the bin insted of having smelly nappys lying in a nappy bin! Urgh!!!

Best
my babyhawk carrier, so easy to use and even when she was 12 months + it was still comfy
grobag , very good when we were co-sleeping
breastfeeding pillow, great for feeding,then was fab when she wanted to sit up etc

worst
the baby bath was hardly used,instead she either camein with me or OH or she had a bath support
I wouldn't buy a travelsystem either, I didn't like putting her in her car seat onto the buggy but instead would take her out which defeated the purpose I guess

I don't know yet as I'm pregnant with my first, but just wanted to say, this is a brilliant topic. I'm going to remember all the good and bad things to buy or not to buy!

Same as Lady3 I'm expecting my first and all this stuff is very useful to know!
Thanks
:)
xx

same with me too this is my first and some of the things on the worst lists i was considering buying myself.

a question though, when you use a growbag/sleepbag, do you just need the sheet on the matteres? not the top sheets?

With grobag's you just need the sheet on the mattress, I didn't think you were supposed to use any other kind of sheets . .

Best
Bouncy seat
sleep bag
boppy nursing pillow

Worst
umbrella stroller I am too tall to push it hurts my back
diaper gene could never get the diapers to twist right getting the diaper champ this time

Best:
Microwave steriliser
Tommee Tippee milk powder dispensers - so handy for preparing bottles for taking out/just using any of the rest of the time
Bouncy seat - useful for putting him in when I need to go and do something. He likes the sound and lights on ours

Worst:
Top & Tail bowl - I usually just use wipes for nappy changing, and a bowl/jug is fine for when I need to clean his face.

interested in one of these milk powder dispensers could anyone provide me with a link to the one the use please?

Fiona x

https://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/bruorfindusing/bruazofbrands/brufeedingtommeetippee/452459

Link to the Tommee Tippee Milk Powder Dispenser - 6 Pack for £3.99

I got these for myself last week as I find them very very useful when looking after my nephew..

They sit nicely inside the tommee tippee bottles with just the right amount of powder in so great for when your out and about..

Oh I just wanted to say great topic !!

I've found this one of the most helpful things I've read and wished I read this about a month ago really !! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->