Better late than never - quick first labour

katnav

Reaction score
Sorry it is a bit late but time flies when you are having fun!

On my due date I had a sweep that had no affect at all. 3 days over due and I was having regular braxton hicks and also started losing my plug. That evening I had a reflexology massage from a friend. I woke up at 3 in the morning (4 days overdue) as there was someone stupid out on the street doing wheel spins, went to the loo and had a show. I decided to sit up on my birthing ball on the laptop and mild contractions started straight away lasting 50 seconds to a minute every 2 - 3 minutes. After an hour of timing contractions woke OH up and said i was in labour.

As it was my first baby I didn't really know when to go to the hospital so rang the ward to ask. The rather rude midwife told me I couldn't possibly being having 50 sec contractions every 2-3 minutes as I would be pushing at that point so I politely told her that thats how often they were coming. She said to come in and get checked. We gave the house a quick tidy incase we didn't come back home before baby was here and made our way to the hospital about half 4.

At this point I described my contractions to my husband like trying to poo out an elephant with the most amount of gas you could every have! I also said on the way up the stairs to the ward "if they tell me i'm only 1cm dialated I will throw myself out the window" I was sent to a room where she checked me about ten past five and sure enough I was only 1 cm dialated. She gave me paracetamol and told me to go home have a bath and come back in 6 hours.

We got home at half 6. I did as she said and had a bath at home which definately helped relieve the pain. After half 7 I got out the bath and laid on the bed and gripped OH hand and rocked with the contractions that were now lasting nearly a minute and a half and were coming every 2-3 minutes although sometimes I didn't get a break between contractions.

At 9 the pain was unbearable, I went to the toilet and started to feel like I wanted to push, we rang labour ward and were told to come back in. Got there at half 9 and was clinging to the desk and managed to get the last room in the ward. I was desperate to push, my OH went to get a midwife to say I was pushing. A lovely midwife came in and offered me some gas and air (which I loved) and checked me.

10cm dialated and ready to push. I was so relieved to be able to push and felt so much better. My waters hadn't gone yet and literally exploded over the room (and my shoes which my husband had neatly placed at the end of the bed) I saw the midwives face and realised something was wrong and asked my husband if the waters were clear and he said no so i knew there was meconium in the waters. I was placed on monitors which shows the babies heart rate was very low and wasn't coming back up. All of a sudden lots of people filled the room, a resusitation unit was brought in but the midwife explained everything and who everyone is and i strangely didn't feel panicked (maybe the gas and air had something to do with it)

As the babies heart rate wasn't recovering and I wasn't allowed to get up off the bed to help get the baby out they said they wanted to use ventouse and would do an episiotomy, i agreed as I wanted baby to be ok. 2 minutes later and 2 pushes later, my little boy arrived and was put straight on the resusitation unit. He was absolutely fine, his heart rate was low as he had the cord around his neck. I didn't feel any pain or stinging or anything was he was crowning or coming out at all, that part was pain free.

Total labour from first contraction to baby being born was 7 hours. In hospital for the last 50 minutes with gas and air and now that it is all over I can't even remember the pain and i am left with my beautiful little boy.

Hope this story wasn't too long and that it helps someone feel better about giving birth!

Congrats! Sounds like you had a nice easy time (as easy as it can be when you're poing out an elephant anyway :haha:)

Wow, what a perfect labour (apart from the cord round your sons neck)!!!
Congratulations :flower: xxx

Glad it made you feel better!

At the time it doesn't feel perfect or easy but I look back on it with good feelings as I know some women are mentally scarred by their birthing experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->