BF and using a dummy?

ESF1978

Reaction score
My LO is only a week old and is EBF. I have a DD who is 20 months and therefore very intense. I'm so worried about balancing the two children and don't have the time with DS to sit for hours while he sucks for comfort as I did with DD.
Last night we gave DS a dummy and he took to it straight away and slept 2 lots of 3 hour runs which we are so happy with. But even though the midwife had recommended a dummy, I still feel guilty for some reason.
I'm also a bit worried it might put him off feeding but his weight is good and I assume the midwife wouldn't have recommended if this was a worry?

Just wondering if/how others BF and use dummies to soothe as I'm hoping its a worry over nothing??

My LO had a dummy from four weeks, and has recently given it up himself at 9months. He will now just point blank refuse it. However, we had no latching problems whatsoever, and it meant that I could feed him, then swap boob for the dummy and he was able to comfort suck on the dummy. It also helped other people such as nanny or oh to get him to sleep. You shouldn't feel guilty at all!

You can get dummies very similar to the nipple shape to prevent nipple confusion x

We introduced a dummy at 2 weeks and he's taken to it fine and it hasn't caused any problems. I also have a toddler so don't have the time I'd like to let him comfort suck

My baby had a strong suck from a few minutes after birth. I gave a dummy at day two in the hospital as she was sucking my nipples raw. Now my boobs are for feeding and the dummy is for comfort, which works fine for us. She doesn't seem to like comfort sucking on me anyway as the milk keeps flowing when she just wants up suckle and is full.

I'd say it's probably fine if your baby has a good, strong latch and is not having any trouble bfing...but I'm no expert ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->