bf babies who dont take bottles

lyre

Reaction score
if any of you have a bf baby who refused bottles or formula, have you managed to get them to take follow on milk in a cup after 6 months? i cant express and i would like to be able to go out at some point and leave lo with his grandparents x

Yes, my little girl refused expressed milk from a bottle point blank but once we started weaning she would happily take formula from bottle from gran (when i wasn't around.) I went back to work one day a week when she was 7 months and thats when she would take formula, carried on bf at all other times though

Well I never wanted him to have formula so no experience with that part. But we were able to introduce a cup even though we never gave a single bottle. BUT he wouldn't take breastmilk from it, he refused to have it anyway but straight from the tap lol. He did eventually start taking rice milk in it, he actually did really well when we started that, but he was 14mo before we introduced it, not sure how he would have done at 6mo trying that or another milk

so there is hope! thanks so much x

My boy won't take a bottle either but is happy to take formula from a cup which he now takes during the day when I'm not there. We've just bypassed the bottle stage which is fine with me.

BTW, he only has the first stage formula. I was advised to avoid the follow on milk as it is unnecessary if your child is eating a varied diet. Also, the extra iron in it can actually cause them to get stomach upsets apparently.

thanks so much shinona! going to try during the week. will avoid the follow on milk x

By cup do you mean a zippy with a spout or just a cup? My lo has never taken a bottle and now won't take a zippy but tried him on just a cup and he seemed ok, despitemost of it dribbling down his chin!! But thought he's gotta drink outta 1 eventually!! I put formula in mine

W never really took to a bottle but will now drink water and EBM from a doidy cup, when I go back to work in a few weeks I plan to leave some EBM for him and if he needs more, he'll have to drink full fat cows milk as he doesn't like formula (which I'm pleased about really!). Only working 2 days a week so won't happen often hopefully :)

Only took him about 7-10 days to learn to drink from the cup, found its easier for him if I don't fill the cup up too high.....

My 8 month old has NEVER taken a bottle but I will now try her on a little cup as you lovely ladies seem to of had good results :o)

We tried about 3 different types of beaker, but he would get the water out, then spit/dribble it everywhere, yet with the doidy, he barely dribbles any out!

Good luck!

tried the doidy with water and he definitely prefers it to sippy cup or bottles, so next is trying it with formula! thanks for your replies x

quick update: he took aptimal from the doidy but not much and after a while started to refuse. he seems to like the cup just not the formula, might try some others.

Amelie wont take milk from anything cept my boobs!

Rowan would never take expressed milk in a bottle at any price, but took it happily in a sippy cup from 3 months. I noticed that she was starting to put things in her mouth when she was hungry, so I bought a sippy cup with a spout and two handles. Sure enough, she took hold of the handles and into her mouth went the spout. We had a few experiments along the lines of 'if I hold both the handles with one hand and try to eat the lid, the milk goes in my ear' but she only needed a little help to drink the whole cupful, and once she was able to sit unsupported, she needed no help at all. You may find, however, if you've got a card-carrying little member of the Campaign for Real Milk, that the question doesn't arise, because if she's left with someone else, she simply won't ask for milk until you come back. Rowan's been attending nursery since she was 9 months old, and although I send her with a supply of expressed milk, she hardly ever drinks it: she takes water with her meals, and waits to have her milk 'straight from the wood' when Mummy comes to collect her.

Oops, I was just trying to edit my previous post to read 'hold one handle with both hands', but I got this instead and now I can't make it go away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->