• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BFing and expressing

Kate7590

Reaction score
Iv been wondering how this would actually work?
I know breast milk can be stored in the freezer for 3 months (is it?) so would like to express as much as I can along with BFing so hubby can feed him too and incase we go away at all we have a frozen supply to last him.

Do I express from one side when he feeds from the other and kind of 'swap' at each feed, iv really no idea :wacko:

I expressed between feeds I suppose you could do it while feeding but I think it might be difficult. Also sometimes especially while I was new to it she used bith breasts in one feed.

You can express before a feed, after a feed, at the same time as a feed, instead of a feed. Different patterns of expressing work for different women expressing for different reasons. Your supply should settle down to match the demand so its best off getting into a pattern with expressing so you always express at the same time of day.

If you were going to express once a day for a once a day daddy bottle then the best time of day would be first thing in the morning when your supply is at its highest. If you wanted to build up a big supply you could express after every feed, in this case you would feed from one side, offer the second breast to baby and then start expressing from the second side. At the next feed you'd swap.

...but there are so many ways you could do it. See what baby is like with their feeding and what your supply is like before you come up with a plan.

As Celesse said, it varies for everyone depending on baby's habits. But I started. Y expressing between feeds (look at a pic of baby to help the letdown). Then once established and I wanted to build a supply for example for a night away I found it easiest to express on one breast while DD fed off the other. The letdown was much better so I'd get a lot more.

As the others have said it's a bit of trial and error really as to what works for you. I found the best way for me was to feed from one side during the night/ first thing then express from the other side in the morning every day :thumbup:

following post.

im in 2 minds of bf due to wanting hubby and others to feed.. also for night away eventually when baby stops at grandmas x

Thanks everyone for your help.
So am I right in thinking I can only express once a day?
Sorry if this is a really silly Q :wacko:

I would recommend exclusively breastfeeding for the first month or so before introducing bottles, just to get your supply established, as expressing can often not be as effective as a baby ykwim?

Thanks everyone for your help.
So am I right in thinking I can only express once a day?
Sorry if this is a really silly Q :wacko:

You can express several times a day if you wish. You supply just has to match your demand. So if your nursing baby from the breast and expressing you need to time the expressing so it doesn't take away from babies needs.

You can express more than once a day but I'd start with just once a day (starting at about 6 weeks) and building up gradually as you get used to it.

i always thought BFing and expressing was confusing, reading this has just confirmed it is very confusing, either that or im daft!
do antenatal classes help with BFing so i can get more info, i take in info better face to face

You should be able to get BF info from your midwife before the birth; I don't remember much chat about it in antenatal class though. The midwives in the hospital and health visitors in the home afterwards can also give good advice. You might want to research BF support groups near you as well so when you're ready to express (advice is 4-6 weeks after birth) then you can talk it through with experienced mums.

I can see why you'd think expressing was confusing after reading this but I think that's because it is different for everyone!
The BF section on here is great for advice too, maybe the advice on expressing will make more sense once you have the baby and have started feeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->