BFP this morning, short LP - keep taking B6 or no?

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
I'm very cautiously dipping my toe into first tri, got my :BFP: this morning. I've been taking 100mcg of vits B6 and B12 every day to try to lengthen my 9-10 day leutal phase. I went to the GP this morning, (I actually booked the appointment to discuss TTC!!) and she said that it's up to me but she recommended stopping any vits other than pregnacare now, and that they probably had no effect anyway. I'm scared that the sudden drop will cause a miscarriage and expressed my concerns,asked if I should cut down gradually and she said to just stop.. Wwyd?

Congratulation!!

I've been taking B50 complex for the same reason and I'm still taking it at 6 weeks. I was going to take it every other day and ease myself off it but I started to feel sick the one day I didn't take it. So I'm back on it every day as it seems to keep the nausea away.

With my daughter I took it every other day until around 10 weeks.
I think you just have to do what you are most comfortable with, although if you are taking 100mcg and pregnacare, I think that might be over the recommended daily amount (I thinks it 100mcg for B6). Maybe you could take 50mcg and pregnacare.

I'm taking a multivitamin and a B complex that had folic acid. The folic acid part is still important, and the B complex apparently fights nausea. My doctor said that might be why I haven't felt sick, and didn't suggest stopping or switching to just folic acid.

Vitamin B isn't going to hurt your baby, and it sounds like continuing to take it is going to ease your mind, so I would vote to keep going with it!

Hi! I understand early pregnancy is a very scary time (especially in terms of miscarriage), but I promise u stopping a vitamin isn't gunna cause u to miscarry. Miscarriages are caused by things like chromosomal abnormalities. That being said, if tapering off ur vitamins makes u feel better, despite what ur doc said, then by all means there's no harm in tapering off them.
Congrats!

I've had the same worry twice now.
With dd2 I kept taking it throughout, my GP said it was fine
This time I'm still taking it too alongside my healthy start vitamin.
Like you I'm scared that stopping it would affect the pregnancy

Have you found it has helped with morning sickness at all? Only I was so sick last time and I've read today that it helps lessen it, in which case I think I'll keep taking it for sure!

Have you found it has helped with morning sickness at all? Only I was so sick last time and I've read today that it helps lessen it, in which case I think I'll keep taking it for sure!

This has been my worst pregnancy for sickness and feeling awful so have to say not for me!

It doesn't sound like it would do any harm, and if it helps you to not feel stressed out then that is a good thing.

I wasn't taking anything at all when I got pregnant with Thomas as we weren't trying and he was a shock pregnancy after 8 years of trying and giving up, so I was eating poorly and had no supplements at all during early pregnancy. I still feel guilty over it but it didn't seem to do any harm (I also have a short LP and mine is coupled with looooong cycles so a pretty messed up body here). I was a student at the time, and my great grandma had died during exams, so as you can imagine I was a right mess and eating things like instant noodles and loads of cheap crappy bread and margarine. I also guzzled coke zero every day.

I had moderate morning sickness with Sophie and found acupuncture to be very helpful, I was sceptical of it working but it reduced the nausea by a good 50%. I'm not sure how much use it would be for someone with severe sickness but it is worth a shot.

You should take a prenatal vitamin and some fish oil and that's it. Prenatal vitamins are already optimized with all of the vitamins baby needs. Sometimes taking too many vitamins causes levels to be too high and it's actually toxic to the fetus, especially the fat soluble ones which you don't just pee out like the water soluble ones. For this reason pregnant women are encouraged to take a prenatal vitamin instead of a women's multivitamin which has doses that are too high for a fetus.

You should give your GP or OB/Gyn a call and see what they recommend. Good luck!

That is true. In New Zealand all we are told to take is folic acid and iodine anyway. I took a pregnancy multivit with Thomas and ended up with a toxic amount of iron in my system.

Have you not seen a midwife yet? Could you flick one a text or something? I'm not sure how your maternity system works there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->