Big Baby and Excess Fluid

anamchara

TTC #4!
Reaction score
Hello Mommas! So I'm 35 weeks pregnant with my third child and last week I went to get my monthly sonogram. My baby girl was measuring 6lbs 11 oz. and all of her measurements are in the 95th percentile. I don't have GD but I had it with last pregnancy, and the doctor thinks I may have something wrong with the way my body processes sugar anyway. The baby is still laying transverse and I also seem to have extra amniotic fluid and the doctor is not sure why. The doctor decided I need to get a scan every week from now on to "keep an eye on things."

Should I be worried? Is there a chance they would want to induce me early because of the baby's size and the extra fluid? Anyone have any experience with this? What is she "keeping an eye on?"

Thanks for your help!

Are you positive you don't have GD? Big baby and excess fluid are class signs. I was checked for it and passed and then at another scan baby was measuring big and I had to do the GTT again to rule out GD even though I passed the first test. I failed the second one.

im 36 weeks and baby measuring 6lb 12 oz! I was told my fluid was great though. Maybe you are just having a big pork chop baby like me? :)

oh and keeping an eye on things probably just means they are making sure she/he doesnt get too big to deliver! Then they will have to give you options. But dont worry, your baby is cooking well and will be fine!!

At 34 weeks, my little lady was said to be 6lb, 8 oz, also in the 95th percentile. I had GD with my last pregnancy and do not have it with this one, and I have been tested more than once just to be sure. My fluid is measuring fine, although with my last pregnancy (when DD1 was predicted to be big, but was born at a normal 7lb, 14 oz), they said I had more fluid than was measuring in the ultrasounds.

They probably want to keep an eye on your baby's size, especially if you are planning on delivering naturally as opposed to a C-Section, so they can keep all your options open and on the table so you make the decisions that are best for you and your baby. I am having a repeat section with this baby, so my doctor is not concerned, she just said to prepare for a big baby, and they are going to check her size again in a few weeks! :flower:

I have excess fluid and they keep an eye on you as the fluid can cause you to go into spontaneous early labour, at least that's what they've told me. They may induce me early because of this.

I don't have GD either and my little one was measuring 2lb 11 at 28 weeks so she may be around 9lb if I go full term.

If you have any concerns then ask your midwife or consultant - that's how I got all me info regarding what excess fluid meant.

Just thought I would share with you what I was told by my midwife - hope it helps

My daughter was born 2 weeks early at 38 weeks and she was 8.4 pounds. My scan at 32 weeks showed an almost 6 pound baby with measurements off the charts. Everything was perfect with her, my dr wasn't concerned at all. Don't worry, bigger chubby babies are the best!!

Hey dear
My baby is measuring quite big and no gd too, no excess fluid though
At 37 weeks just 2 days ago he was measuring close to 10 pounds, in my case I chose a c sect next week!
I knew baby was measuring ahead from 20 weeks but I waited bcz I was so attached to the idea of natural labour, by 10 pounds though I feel I'd be risking baby's life if I go full term and wait for labour! The doctors will advise you on what's best! Sometimes it's just a growth spurt and they slow down after I've been told too

Good luck!

Hi I had excess fluid picked up at a growth scan around 30 weeks. My baby is also measuring large, they reckon 3.5 kg yesterday at 37+4 and baby's measurments have all been towards the top of the growth range. My consultant is not too concerned about the fluid which has hovered above normal range but as of my scan yesterday has lowered to around the 95 th percentile which is still high but within normal range. Did they mention what your AFI is? Amniotic fluid index - apparently in the 20s is fine if high, they only really start to get concerned when it's in the 30s and 40s. My highest reading was just under 30. I was checked for GD and infections (TORCH screen) which all came back fine as these can be a cause of higher fluid levels. In about 65% of cases they don't find a cause and with most babies it causes no issues. I have to go back for another scan in 2 weeks as my baby's growth has tapered off since my scan 2 weeks ago but I have also been diagnosed with a clotting disorder in pg for which I have been taking aspirin. I stopped this recently as you have to once you get near to due date so not sure if this has played a factor in baby slowing down. My consultant has cleared me for a midwife-led delivery if I go into labour before my next scan at 39+4 so I am delighted with that. Don't go all googletastic as it just scares you! Me and a few other girls posted on gestational complications page about this (polyhydramnios) if you want more experiences on the subject. Good luck with everything!

Hello ladies! Thanks for all of the responses. I went for another scan yesterday and my amniotic fluid is back to normal - 21. They didn't do a growth scan and won't for another two weeks.

My doctor said if the baby is over 9.5 lbs they will do a c-section, if not we'll wait til she comes on her own. I was given a sweep at 37 weeks because my son was big but my OB said they are not allowed to induce due to size anymore. Doesn't seem right that I can't be induced early if the baby is big but will have to have a c-section I don't want.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens at the next scan in two weeks. Thanks for all of your valuable info and support! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->