Big baby

Savannah11

Love my boys xxx
Reaction score
So my little man was measuring (from ultrasound) about 34 weeks at my 31 week appt and was weighing in at about 5lbs!

So my doctor referred me for a GTT test which i did yesterday and the hospital called me to tell me that my bloods came back clear for Gestinational Diabetes and they'll call me tomorrow for urine results...

So what could be the reason that he is measuring big?

The nurse asked me if i was sure my dates were correct but my dates have always matched to my U/S's up until my last appt. So surely i cant have my dates incorrect?

Do you think maybe he just had a growth spurt?

x

Genetically big maybe?
My little man is measuring big to - above the 90th centile - 30+2 he was 4lb 5oz on the scan and yesterday 34+5 he was weighing 6lb 9oz. He is always measuring above the top line when the MW does the measurements on me too, so he has always been a big baby and not just had a growth spurt. He is just genetically big.
Are you having any more growth scans? x

Some babies just grow big, however scan weights are notorious for being off by a couple of pounds so try not to worry.

i cant see your dates been incorrect because the first 12 week scan you had is the most accurate dating scan you can have x

I think perhaps that could be the reason as i was about 8lbs and DH was about 9lbs... so maybe he's just genetically big?

I think they will scan me at my next appt on the 6th feb.

have they had an issues with you having a big baby? saying that he would come early? or any problems with normal delivery? or are you going ahead as normal?

xx
Genetically big maybe?
My little man is measuring big to - above the 90th centile - 30+2 he was 4lb 5oz on the scan and yesterday 34+5 he was weighing 6lb 9oz. He is always measuring above the top line when the MW does the measurements on me too, so he has always been a big baby and not just had a growth spurt. He is just genetically big.

I think perhaps that could be the reason as i was about 8lbs and DH was about 9lbs... so maybe he's just genetically big?

I think they will scan me at my next appt on the 6th feb.

have they had an issues with you having a big baby? saying that he would come early? or any problems with normal delivery? or are you going ahead as normal?

xx
Genetically big maybe?

When i went yesterday they put a plan in place but it is not set in stone really until the next growth scan which i will have at 37+5. He said if he is still growing the way he as done throughout, then he will give me a sweep that day (not favourable if cervix isnt ready though) and book me in for an induction at 40+1. So not going let me go over. He did say they want to avoid a c-section if they can, thats why he is prepared to give a sweep and instruct my MW to follow up on another sweep if it doesnt work and if they dont work, then book me in to start me off day after due date. This all depends on thenext scan though. It could well change though depending on his growth over the next 3 weeks. x

i too have been told i am having a big one, he was estimated 5lb 3 at 30 weeks, i would love to see how big they all actually are, i think 90% of us here have been told we are having BIG babies, but i know they get these estimations wrong alot of the time, i bet all us big baby ladies will have 7 pounders :haha:

i too have been told i am having a big one, he was estimated 5lb 3 at 30 weeks, i would love to see how big they all actually are, i think 90% of us here have been told we are having BIG babies, but i know they get these estimations wrong alot of the time, i bet all us big baby ladies will have 7 pounders :haha:

Have you had a growth scan? x

I measured ahead from about week 29 for my second, due to my first being a premmie we saw MW every week after 30 weeks and my bump just kept measuring bigger and bigger :shock:

We got sent for extra scans at 34, 36 and 39+5 and they confirmed all was fine and baby was a "good size". At the final scan one of the old skool MW held my baby through the bump whilst I lay on my side and she said he is a good 9lb already, when he eventually arrived at 41+1 he was a "good size" 10lb 2oz!! :shock and the placenta was one of the biggest my MW had seen :shock: add to that the fluid and you see why the bump was huge, my placenta was at the back which they thought explained why I was so huge...if it helps I was back in pre-preggo clothes the week after the birth :)

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy :hugs:

I measured ahead from about week 29 for my second, due to my first being a premmie we saw MW every week after 30 weeks and my bump just kept measuring bigger and bigger :shock:

We got sent for extra scans at 34, 36 and 39+5 and they confirmed all was fine and baby was a "good size". At the final scan one of the old skool MW held my baby through the bump whilst I lay on my side and she said he is a good 9lb already, when he eventually arrived at 41+1 he was a "good size" 10lb 2oz!! :shock and the placenta was one of the biggest my MW had seen :shock: add to that the fluid and you see why the bump was huge, my placenta was at the back which they thought explained why I was so huge...if it helps I was back in pre-preggo clothes the week after the birth :)

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy :hugs:

Awww i bet he was so gorgeous and cuddly! xx

ive got type 1 diabetes and have to be very careful what i eat otherwise my baby will get too big,i'm not sure if diabetes you get during pregnancy can cause baby to be bigger if undetected.sure everything be fine they caught it now so.

When you consider roughly a half a pound a week gain, 5lb at 31 weeks isn't huge. It is on the big side, but lots of babies are 9 or 10lb these days. I have had a 9lb'er a 10lb'er (born at 38 weeks) and a 7lb'er (37 weeks) and I know which I prefer and it's not a small baby. Big babies are gorgeous!

I am only 16 1/2 weeks, but baby is measuring a week ahead already. I am hoping for another big baby. :happydance:

When you consider roughly a half a pound a week gain, 5lb at 31 weeks isn't huge. It is on the big side, but lots of babies are 9 or 10lb these days. I have had a 9lb'er a 10lb'er (born at 38 weeks) and a 7lb'er (37 weeks) and I know which I prefer and it's not a small baby. Big babies are gorgeous!

I am only 16 1/2 weeks, but baby is measuring a week ahead already. I am hoping for another big baby. :happydance:

I was the same my first was born at 35 weeks and weighed 8lb 9 :dohh:

I know! I cant wait for my big baby. Cant wait for a big cuddle, he is going be so cuddly :cloud9:
My little man is currently putting on about 9oz a week though, so a little more than half a pound. We have worked out from the two scans that if he carries on with his weight gain he is going be about 9lb 14oz :cloud9: xx

Yes hun, gotta go see a consultant on 7th feb to have another peek and see where we go from there, my first was classed as a preemie at 35weeks but weighing 8lb9. Had to have a c section (i aint got child bearing hips:haha: )

Yes hun, gotta go see a consultant on 7th feb to have another peek and see where we go from there, my first was classed as a preemie at 35weeks but weighing 8lb9. Had to have a c section (i aint got child bearing hips:haha: )

What do you think they will do? Do you think you will have another c-section early? Will they let you go full term do you think? xx

my baby is measuring big, over the 95th percentile, not really sure what that means tbh

at my 28wk scan they told me that if she got too big they wouldnt allow me to go over my due date and would perhaps induce me earlier. however at my last scan (32wks) someone else said that they wouldnt intervien at all, and just allow her to come normally. Which did worry me slightly.

I dont have diabeties, and They say that they'd be more suprised if baby was small, as im 6ft2, and mick is 6ft. plus im not skinny, so they said that they'd expect me to have a big baby. Plus i found out on saturday that both mick and his brother were 10lb babies. I was only 6lbs something when i was born, so genetics more than likely do play a part

What do you think they will do? Do you think you will have another c-section early? Will they let you go full term do you think? xx

I really not sure hun, as said my first was classed as a preemie at 35 weeks, but my second was born 36+4 i had him naturally (with help of ventouse) they kept a check on my second but he wasnt measuring a lot bigger than normal.
This one is measuring 4-5weeks bigger so they are unsure, hopefully on the 7th feb they will let me know. I am hoping for another natural but to be honest as long as he's safe i dont care how he greets the world :)

Our little man is also measuring way above graph charts. At 31 weeks his estimated weight was 5lb2oz. Estimated 8.6-9lb at due date. Im hoping he will come sooner due to fibroid is big and next to cervix. My son was 8lb6oz when I had him, he tore me terribly and I couldnt walk for two weeks so its scaring me abit at the thought and chance of firbroid rupturing.

My son never looked overly big and as a baby was very chubby with buddha rolls of fat- cute. Once he started to toddle the fat dropped off. He was quite a tiny toddler too which surprised me. He is 5ft 10 now:thumbup:

I had a growth scan at 33 weeks and she was measuring 1 week ahead and her estimated weight then was around 5lb 4, i had my 38 week appointment yest and she's measuring 41 weeks by the fundal height which i know isn't always accurate but i was told by a consultant that because she's big, when i go into labour they'll leave me 6 hours and then if she's not here by then, they'll do a c-section, but they're also not going to induce until 41 weeks if labour hasn't happend by then, I'm really hoping she'll come before my due date, but seeing as she's not even slightly engaged yet i don't think she will :( lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->