Biggest waste of money...

I have to admit that I love baby jeans. I think they're cute! But you don't need 100 pairs. One per size will do just fine if you really want them.

I personally love gadgets so if someone buys them for me I will use them. But most you learn to do without when you don't have the money to spend on them all.

Bedding sets were a complete waste of cash. It's not recommended to use the cot bumper so that's 1/3 of the pack (£30) wasted!! And Imogen has only just started using the quilt at about 18 months!

Travel system. My daughter hated it. From day one!!! She'd scream and scream and I've spent a lot of money on 3 different pushchairs in the last 20 months.

Too many clothes. Some outfits unworn. Really, all baby needs is babygrows, vests, hats, blankets. I had all sorts and most was work a handful of times!

Things that really helped me were

Feeding cushion (I breastfed using this until she was about 9 months old and could feed sitting up easily)

Muslin. They catch sick, snot, wee, poop. Protect from sunshine and insects. Amazing things. Imogen even used them as a bit of a comforter!

Baby wrap. Not every baby likes to be out of Mummy or Daddy's arms. This thing brought me sanity and allowed me to clean my house!

Also really helped us to stock up on nappies and wipes although you won't use wipes at first. When baby events are on at the supermarkets (like now) get a few packs of nappies. They even have the weight range on so you can guesstimate which sizes you'll need for longest. The fab thing is that most supermarkets in the uk will swap unopened packs for a different size without receipt.

Things I loved with my son:
Video monitor (he went into own room at 4 months so this was great)
Front body Baby carrier (I hardly used pram)
Lots of muslin cloths
lots of baby body vests
Play mat with hanging toys
Sleeping bags (he hated being swaddled)
Rainforest Jumperoo for when a bit older (allowed me to go into kitchen etc knowing he was safe)

things I didn't use (but thankfully was given for free):
baby shoes
baby door swing/jumping thing (Jumperoo much better)

I agree that bedding sets are a waste. We just got fitted sheets and sleeping bags.
We got great use out of our swing - much more than the bouncer (both were hand me downs).

I also like jeans! You can get really soft comfy jeans for boys and girls. Mix and match separates are great clothes for when you need to change a lot - much easier to change just the top or bottom instead of a whole dress/outfit.
But for the first month I didn't bother putting DD in any outfits - jammies all day!

We didn't use the video monitors we were given. We didn't bother with a change table, top n tail bowl or baby bath, though I might use a baby bath this time so DD can help wash her sibling.

also to add... one thing I did buy which Im sure most people would say is a waste... but we loved... was a tummy tub.

we used it every day for the first month to wash DS and he LOVED it. it also made for great photos.

I then used it in the summer months to cool him down!

Its really a glorified bucket.... but hey, we loved it.

We were not able to use any nb clothes or diapers for our 10 lb son. I'm getting all 3 month this time as she can wear it anyways it might just be a little big. It's funny u were thinking this as just yesterday I was very disappointed packing up my son's 9 month clothes realizing how many items I never put on him before he outgrew them :( luckily they were all hand me downs from cousins but they were still so cute!

I agree about the blanket sets. I have a huge, thick quilt my MiL made for DS that has never been used. I once mentioned that a little baby couldn't use such a thick blanket but she just whined that my SiL used them so I just took it and now use it as a black out curtain. lol

Bedding sets (bumper and quilt ones) can be a waste of money.
I was given one, used the bumper but then took it off.
I basically used the quilt thing as a big playmat! So that bit wouldn't have been a waste really (unless you have a big playmat) but I also used it on the grass outside when it was nice, but not until baby was a lot older.

But not a lot I bought was a waste of money.

I went cheap on the bedding for my oldest and that blanket is in tatters now. She carries it everywhere, she's almost 6. On my second I got a good set from toys r us and I still don't regret it. I have another blankie baby on my hands and even though she isn't picky about which blankie she has, it will last forever. And it is so thick and plush.
Never used a changing table, they to me are pointless. Also buy one pack of NB size diapers at a time. They grow out of those little guys fast.

My biggest wastes were newborn diapers and clothes as I had 9 lb babies, a swing (it was start a screaming session, not soothe one) kidco peapod, his and her diaper bags (hubby wanted his own, but never used it), shopping cart cover (more bulk to carry into the store) bottles (we went though 7 brands and a lot of money before we found one that worked with a breast fed baby), hairbrushes for baby (not a lot of hair until they are 2 or 3), sentimental baby themed picture frames (they don't fit in with a toddler room when they mature), baby books (who has time to write down every milestone), baby blankets (everybody gives you one, but the baby only wants 1 or 2 as a favorite, so you have a bunch unused), receiving blankets (my babies were too big), swaddle sacks (one baby liked them and the other hated them so try it out first), bath squeeze toys (the bath water doesn't empty completely and they grow mold or mildew inside them, then your baby puts thm in their mouth, yuck), excessive child safety equipment (outlet covers and a gate are good, the rest like toilet seat latches are just annoying and you can baby proof on your own by just being smart where you put things), qtips (got several boxes and never used them), multiple carseats and bases (again for one child it is cheaper to move it between vehicles and takes 5 minutes or pre planning), baby towels (cute, but not necessary and thin and less absorbent compared to regular towels) hair bows and bands (cute, but they can cause chocking if they have small parts, can be too tight on babies head, and can fall down around their neck if baby inadvertently grabs it....my daughter was screaming terrible in her carseat and the headband was down around her neck and her arm was in it too and I thought she was going to strangle herself), bottle warmer (I had breast fed babies, so we rarely used it unless daddy was on baby duty).

How come the bumper part isn't recommended? Just so I don't buy ha ha x

I would say anything new is a waste of money for babies.... pretty much everything is used less than 3 months and you can buy second hand for 1/4 the price... Also good if you have a picky baby.. some love swings, swaddling, baby carrying etc while others hate it... wont know till you try it. I also don't keep anything between babes.. I sell and get the next thing they need. That also means I get to shop for each baby and never really spend any more money.

this time I am getting the following (3rd baby)
-portable bassinet no crib(for outings, I co sleep)
-rocking or bouncy infant chair(good for first couple months to rest arms)
-infant carseat
-head huggers(not supposed to use one that comes with seat and easier than rolled towels)
-muslin receiving blankets(can be used as light blankets, spit up wipes, towel)
-diapers
-wipes
-sleepers/onesies/nightgowns 5-10
-bumbo (use a lot)
-exersaucer/bouncer
-double stroller
-ergo carrier

That's likely all....
I usually use slings but with a toddler I need a carrier where I have more arm freedom... I never use a playpen but always end up getting one just in case. never use a change table. Diaper pail not worth the extra work. I bath babe in either a large bowl/dishpan from the dollar store or the kitchen sink. never use a diaperbag either.. just get a bigger purse or diaper clutch and pack a simple bag in the car with 2 sets of clothes extra wipes/diapers and receiving blankets.

Lots of reasons! It's personal choice at the end of the day but some people prefer not to use the tie on ones because of the risk of strangulation.

I've found some cool ones though, I'd prefer these...
https://www.bumpsters.co.uk

its intresting to see how different everyones lists are

I believe the main idea behind it is that it restricts air flow through out the cot, increasing the chance of cot death. Other risks related to it are rolling in to the bumper and having baby's mouth completely covered as well as the getting tangled up risk.

What I did use and would recommend:

- Moses basket (though don't trust my 1 year old near one, so will be going without this time), good place to put baby down during the day and can easily be transferred upstairs for night time sleep without disturbing baby
- Muslin Squares / Terry Toweling, used it for covering up the changing mat, drying baby after baths, constantly wiping up vomit, leaking boobs etc
- Stretchy wrap, especially with already having a toddler to look after it was amazing to be able to have a newborn wrapped up against me and still be able to do everything for / with my toddler.
- Angelcare baby monitor, never used the movement mat but absolutely love the monitor. Used it with my first daughter for 2 years, and am using it for our 2nd now. Still going strong and picks up on every little sound.

Things we never bought or did buy but never used:

- Bottles (breastfed), they stood waiting to be used for nearly 4 years and I finally threw them out the other day. Would rather buy them if actually needed for this one
- Baby shoes, they look so cute but just don't stay on. Same for socks to be truthful, tights are much better. Better yet, sleepsuits for the first few months of their lives. With DD1 we dressed her in outfits daily, with DD2 we just stuck with sleepsuits.
- Changing table, we have a set of drawers with a changing mat on the top. Much more useful for clothes storage and works just as well.
- Nappy bin, just stick them in your normal bin and empty it out frequently.
- Changing bag, they're bloomin' expensive and a normal big bag works just as well.

Clothes wise, I'd buy some in newborn as well as 0-3 and buy more once you now what size baby is in. We mostly had 0-3 for DD1, but she absolutely drowned in it all. She really needed first size or newborn, and even those were big.

That saves us money anyway, I didn't know about the bumper. Thanks!

The most useless items I found were: a doorway jumper (never used, my son loved his fisher price jumperoo instead) and a shopping cart cover - just a novelty item really, I used it as a playmat to bring to friends houses, never as it was intended. Oh and I also received a carrier that didn't have lumbar support - never used it. We used the baby bjorn with the waist strap when he was older, and this time i've splurged on a Beco Soleil.

As everyone else has said, what's essential for one mum is unnecessary for another, but for me:

Essential

Changing table
Used it for every nappy change, to dress him on and after baths for 2 years. Also great for storing nappies, wipes, creams and clothes so everything was at hand.

Nappy bin
We changed his nappies upstairs on the changing table, so needed and still use our nappy bin. Cost less than a tenner in Tesco and has been used for 2 years so far.

Yummy mummy changing bag
Still using this today as it's big enough for all my stuff plus LO's and looks good enough to use as handbag.

Play mat/baby gym
Great for lying baby on floor and watching them kick and punch.

Muslins
Great for windy milk burps, vomit and noses! Can't have enough of these, even when teething at 6months plus to wipe the drool!

Sleepsuits and vests
They are the only thing I put LO in for months. They are so delicate and floppy that it's a real pain trying to get them into pretty outfits so sleepsuits and vests are the easiest when they are very small. Be careful with sizes - I bought only newborn and 0-3 as was told baby was huge. He ended up less than 7lbs so I had to send family to buy early baby clothes in middle of the night. Get a selection nearer the birth and keep the receipts.

Angelcare monitor
I used this from birth right up until we moved him into his own room at 18months old. Never had one false alarm and found it reassuring to know I'd hear him if he woke up/stopped breathing etc.

Non-essentials

Baby bath/top and tail bowl
I never had one - instead we used a baby bath support sponge that was around £5 and lasted until he was able to sit unaided in the big bath.

Shoes/hats/scratch mitts
Shoes are too fiddly, hats should only be for outside use so the cute ones that matched sleepsuits weren't used, and he could stand the scratch mitts and screamed the house down if I put them on him!

Bibs
The cloth ones aren't great as they stay wet. I preferred the plastic backed ones for feeding as they kept the moisture away from his skin/clothes.

I hope this helps

The one thing I wouldn't buy again would be a baby bath. I would just get a bath support. It killed my back lifting the bath!

Thanks all for your input, I'm glad I started this, It's given me a much better idea. Obviously what works for some wont for others but there seems to be some common ones. I definitely wont be rushing out to buy an expensive bedding set, I didn't want a bumper anyway so like one of you said thats about £30 wasted straight off. I was always interested why so many people thought muslins were so good so that's handy to know.
MUST remember not to get carried away with clothes but it's sooo hard they're cute too cute!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->