Biggest waste of money...

It's so easy to get carried away buying baby things especially as this is my first. Although we've not bought a lot yet I just wanted to see what you all thought was a complete waste of money or just not needed? You go into all these baby shops and they make it seem like you need to buy the entire shop!
I also have this worry that if I buy newborn baby clothes I'll have a big baby that wont fit into any of the things we have.

If you keep your receipt and the tags attached to the clothes you can always exchange them. One thing I find is pricey and not needed is a bumbo seat. Yea it's nice to help to teach them to sit but they are really not something that is needed in my opinion.

How come the bumper part isn't recommended? Just so I don't buy ha ha x
Risk of strangulation from the cords, and risk of suffocation by baby rolling and pressing its face into the padding. 20 babies in the UK died as a result of accidents with bumpers in 2012, I support a charity founded by a mum whose little boy was found with the cord stuck down his throat, and his death was attributed to SIDs, so that number of 20 a year is probably actually lower than reality. It's terrifying, yes it makes the cot look pretty but it isn't necessary and it's introducing a risk to the cot.

For me, things that were a waste of money:
Vaseline - every list had it on, I bought a huge tub, what was I supposed to use it for?!
Cotton wool - despite using wool and water for the first 6 months or so we STILL have about 10 bags of the damn stuff, enough to remove my makeup until I see my grave.
Travel system - I was adamant I wanted to be able to go from car to buggy without transferring the baby. What a waste of money, they can't stay in the car seat more than 1-2 hours anyway depending on which one you buy, so I always ended up swapping them to the lie flat cot anyway.
Changing table/mat - used a handful of times at best. A towel on the floor or sofa does the job just fine, although maybe if you have a boy a mat is more necessary? Luckily DD never weed while being changed.
Baby lotion/baby lotion - never used. Used olive oil on her skin the first few weeks when it was dry. On another note - talc and baby powder are not the same thing. When we were visiting FIL we didn't have any sudacrem with us and her bum was a bit sore as she was teething, we thought we'd use some talc he had in his bathroom as some friends said they used this and it was great for drying up a rash. DD ended up with chemical burns over all her private parts. Turns out talc contains perfume which is bound with alcohol, baby powder doesn't. Never, ever put talc on your babys bum!
Top and tail bowl - Not complicated just to use two kitchen bowls/ice cream tubs etc, or just use the one and do their face first!
Cotton baby hats - outside she wore a wooly one, inside the midwife told us she should be warm enough without a hat and if she wasn't we needed to alter the environment not bundle her up!
Bumbo - terrifying, she'd just pitch herself out of it!
Clothes - buy them a coming home outfit, one more pack of vests, and one pack of baby grows. Then stop. You will get gifts sent from people you have literally never met. I had no idea we knew this many people. When I found out we were having a girl I went crazy on the cute little outfits. So did my mum. Then the gifts arrived. She never even wore some things as we had favourites and so many clothes it was hard to even find them all let alone wear them.
Stockpiling things in general - You might not feel like going out much straight after the baby is born, but the brilliant thing is most people have the man in their lives who helped make this little miracle who has no such reason not to pop to the shops. Or Tesco deliver for about £3 (so much easier than bundling them into the car, the trolley, back in the rain, they'll poo half way round, decide they want a feed, or if they're slightly older, swipe things from the shelves and start eating them). Or Amazon, they tend to do the best deals on nappies and wipes and they're at your door in a few days for no delivery charge, genius. There are always offers on nappies and wipes somewhere, as a rule anything under 15p a nappy is a decent buy.
Baby bath - I needed more hands to hold her in it, wash her and prevent drowning!!! We used our tummy tub loads, it held her up on her own and she loved it! Mostly though I just took her in with me.
Steam steriliser - so much hassle! And once you open it the rest of the stuff isn't sterile anymore. And it smells like burning making the bottles taste odd. I didn't want milton due to the chemicals, but it's what the hospital recommend and it is so, so much easier.
Muslins - too thin, if she pukes on one it goes straight through to my shirt, I tore a couple of huge old towels up into smaller ones and they were perfect.

We used our blankets a lot actually, as it was what we were used to in the nicu, easy to take one off or put it on if she was a bit warm or cool. She didn't hold her heat well enough even in a winter sleeping bag, although when she was about 6 months we made the swap. We also still use our swing daily, and shes nearly 2. She just won't sleep anymore unless shes moving.

I didnt rate my steam steriliser, I BF and found milton and water much better. Newbirn toys like the kind you hang on car seats, just get in the way and baby does not even notice them for ages. Swaddling blankets as my daughter hated being swaddled. Tummy tub, I found it impracticle I just used the big bath although it made a handy sized laundry bucket for her room for a while. I could live without a change bag, although still have one so will use it again. I quite liked little outfits, stayed away from dresses as they get in the way but had some lovely soft legging+ top outfits, I will be buying outfitscagain jyst sticking to soft and comfy looking, and I will probabl y wait to see what gifts we get. I also didnt like my manual breast pump, electric so much better although I did feel a little like a farm animal. All johnsons baby toiletries brought her out in a rash.

Best buys were sleeping bags, used till about age 2 she even walked around in them in the mornings (cute like maggie simpson) baby vestd with diagnol buttons (layette???) They didnt have to go over the head which meant when she had one if those explosive poos we got none in her hair. Also muslins although she adopted them as comforters which I will try to avoid this time. I got the johnsons baby product box the products were crap but the box was really usefull for keeping nappies etc in and transfering between upstairs and down stairs. Graco countour electra travel cot was awsome too had a vibrating bit under the basenette which helped her sleep we used it from birth in our room till she moved into her own, it also has a built in changing table .

I wouldn't buy bibs. Muslins are great, they last forever & can be used for everything! Bibs are too small for bigger babies x

I love this thread! Being a first time mum it's invaluable to me. I'm making a list of stuff that ladies on here seem to say are good and then avoid the non essential items for now.

Forgot about my V shaped pillow. Much much cheaper than an 'official' breast feeding pillow but just as good. I used it for breast feeding for the first few weeks, and now for supporting my arm when I bottle feed. She also naps on it while it's on my lap so I don't have my hands and arms occupied the whole time and sometimes I fall asleep on it!

I wouldn't buy bibs. Muslins are great, they last forever & can be used for everything! Bibs are too small for bigger babies x

The milk just dribbles down her chin and neck between her skin and the bib. I just loosely hold a muslin round her neck instead.

Bigger bibs might be useful when they're on solids but for milk they're a bit crap.

Im literally making notes on all of this, mental notes are a thing of the past!

I think baby soft toys and precious toys are a completely waste of money for us because there is no any use of these kind of toys.

I personally like the changing table (ours is a dresser with a pad on top, but it also has a bar to prevent rolling off), I also like the wipe warmer and diaper genie. Love the swing it was the only way DD would fall asleep when she was smaller. I like the little outfits but probably will not be buying more than one or two we didn't use them, stuck to sleepers. We were given a beautiful bedding set for DD but we didn't use half of it, the bumper pads we left in the closest. We did use the sheet and bedskirt, the comforter too when DD got older but not until after she was 15-16 months. I didn't get a very good stroller with DD didn't think I would use it that much, turns out I used it a lot so will be getting a better one this time.

Stalking because this is a great thread and will definitely come in handy!

The hooded baby towels are pointless! Just use a soft towel of your own. Also bath thermometer, you've got to be an idiot to actually need one of those, it's not like anyone is going to put a baby in a freezing cold or boiling hot bath. A little warmer than luke warm is about right for baby.

I personally used bibs a lot. My daughter was a very sicky baby and it used to help having bibs on her to prevent having to change her constantly. I also like the hooded towels but kept my daughters ones so don't need to buy them.

Never used a nappy disposal system, think these are pointless.

I didn't use a change table either. A mat on the floor or bed etc did us just fine. Haven't got space for one this time anyways.

I agree with the bedding, it's expensive and pointless so I've gone without this time and will just use sheets and blankets/sleeping bag etc.

Muslins were a must, also a bouncer chair, my daughter loved hers and was handy for popping her in. She used to have little naps in it too.

This is my first but i just wanted to say i'm finding this thread so helpful!

I would stick with neutral colours if you plan on having a second child, my friend went mad bough everything in pink every single thing. Then she had a boy had to buy everything all over again!!!

Def clothes, I was giving my SIL DSs baby clothes and the amount of stuff that still had tags on. They are some comfy in baby gros you will dress them up the odd time but people will buy you little outfits.

Bottlewarmers etc.. Some new things are great and handy others just a gimick.

Remember how long baby will actually get out of stuff. Granted I had a v big baby but he was only 6 weeks in moses basket and 5-6 months in first car seat.

Oh my biggest hate is the really really really expensive car seat / buggy combo thingys. I had one with DS and nearly lost the will to live on several occasions it was so chunky even the new micro ones are heavy. I agreed the click in click out thing can be really really handy but I have decided that baby being lifted in and out of car seat is a 1st world problem so i got myself a lovely car seat that does from birth - 4 years and an umbrella buggy which I can lift with one hand and takes up very very little room. Now come back to me in a couple of months I might be cursing it also. I know the charity and second hand shops here will not take the travel systems anymore because they have so so many and anyone I know changed to an umberella buggy asap (a nice one with a footmuff and cushion insert to stop them flopping about a keep cosy of course!)

With the baby changer/bath, I had one for DS and I used it once! But I have one for this lo and know it will be used properly. With DS it was upstairs in the back spare bedroom shur i was never going to run upstairs everytime he need a nappy change! My SIL has one in her kitchen and has all his vests and gros wipes nappies, there is no questioning where anything is its all there. I have the room this time so will also have it in my kichen/diningroom area.

Oh and like pp said you do not need highchairs etc.. yet. As long as baby has feeding equipment, clothes, cot, somewhere to lie/sleep during the day and nappies he/she will be fine! Everything else comes along later!

Thats my twopence anyway!

You know what, I think it's different per baby. Obviously you need the have the basics ready, nappies, some clothes, somewhere to sleep Moses basket/crib ... Things for breast feeding/bottle feeding, pram .. Other than those things I found that I should of just waited!

I went crazy when I was pregnant, I got EVERYTHING ... I had hundreds of clothes, expensive bouncer chairs etc etc only to find out most of them LO didn't like and I had to go out and buy alternative things. The first month I spent so much money haha!

This pregnancy I'm only buying the add on to make my pram for 2.. A car seat and a crib (had a Moses basket for DD1, she didn't like it, it was uncomfortable, she outgrew it quickly, so am getting a crib as they look more comfortable and can last till 6 months!) ... And obviously buy some clothes!

Other than that I'm going to wait till baby arrives and see what things i feel he/she would need then ... Xx

Also, I second changing tables! They are awesome .. At one point I had two haha one upstairs, one downstairs ! ... Muslins are a god send too!! X

Cot bumper! I was way to wary of the dangers to actually use it. I ended up putting on and taking it off in between naps for show!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->