• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bipolar -- medication reductions

pinkgiraffe

Reaction score
I noticed from the last thread I posted that there a few people on here with bipolar disorder, and I was wondering how people were doing with their meds.

One of the reasons that I'm TTC for the first time at 38 is that I wanted to get my medication -- Seroquel--- to a safe dose. I was at 1100 mg 2.5 years ago and am now at 300mg. I called Motherisk (this is an invaluable hotline in Canada, they're easily found through Google) today to ask if there was a dose that they would recommend. They said that Seroquel is actually the safest antipsychotic around for pregnancy and that there was no recommended dose for TTC or pregnancy. They also stressed that the absolute most important thing was that I'm well, that poor mental health is a much greater risk to any child, before or after birth.

I'm still glad I reduced, though, because that was an awfully high dose and I feel a lot sharper and have more energy. I'm also concerned about withdrawal symptoms in the newborn. Anyone who has tried to go off this stuff knows how horrible it is, and I hate the idea of a baby having to go through it. I think I'll call back tomorrow and ask specifically about this.

How are other people doing with medication, or just managing a mental illness with the emotional roller coaster of TTC??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->