Birth of Samuel Patrick 26.08.09

jojo2605

Mom to Sam & Dylan
Reaction score
Well I don't post a major deal on here but thought it would be nice to get Samuel's birth story up on here!

Well I woke up on 26th August, 38 + 2 weeks pregnant with what felt like braxton hicks. Was weird though, they seemed quite regular and that had never happened with BH before... Well i decided not to think too much of it as I was convinced my little one was staying put in me well past my due date as i just didn't 'feel' like i was ready to be giving birth any time soon!

Well I got up and went to the toilet, only to notice that i'd lost some of my plug. My stomach did a little somersault and I just went down stairs and called my OH to keep him informed. Told him not to come home from work yet, could still be days, etc.

Well I pottered around the house while still getting regular tightenings, non of which were painful. So I thought hmmm perhaps I should start timing these just incase! I recommend highly to anyone the contraction master website as this helped me to time my contractions before I went to hospital really affectively!!

Well upon timing them I saw that all my contractions were between 4 and 8 minutes long!! So I called my OH back and asked him to come home as it looked like this could be it!! I was so shocked, I did not see it coming at all!! I was on BnB every day listening to women trying to figure the signs that labour was immenent but I had none that i can think of other than a heaviness in my pubic area which i thought might be the start of a water infection or something!!

Well it was about 1 in the afternoon by this time and as our little one has got problems (which I will explain later) I was told to call the hospital when contractions were every 10 minutes just so they could keep a close eye on us. So i called them and they said to go in for 2.30 as they were really busy & wouldn't be able to see me before then anyway.

On arriving at the hospital (with my mom and OH as I wanted both there at birth) they still didn't have any room for me so i was left in a waiting room having my contractions, which were starting to get a little painful and more regular by then (about every 3 or 4 minutes) until about 4pm when they eventually hooked me up to the monitors for half an hour to time the contractions and monitor baby's heartbeat, etc. She then did an examination and told me I was 3cm dilated but was still in early labour so could go home (it was 4.30pm) or move upstairs to the ward and sit it out until things progressed. As this was my first and due to the complications we were expecting, I said i would stay as I was worried if i went home I would have to come straight back again!

Well over the next 3 hours the contractions got worse and worse and i was having them every 2 minutes and they were soooooo intense!! Obviously having nothing to compare them to i didn't know whether they were going to get a hell of a lot worse or not so i tried to fight through them without making too much of a fuss! It got to 7.30pm and I just couldn't stand the pain anymore. And after going over 3 hours without any midwife intervention at all asked her to check how i was doing but she was reluctant as she said i was still in early labour. Well she did check me and I was 6cm dilated so obviously things were progressing!!

Well the next hour was a bit of a blur as the contractions just got more and more painful and I asked for some gas and air which she took about 15 minutes to bring to me. By the time she bought it over I was in so much pain i couldn't breathe effectively enough to actually use it so just kept pushing it away.

I knew then that i needed to push and i wasn't even in the delivery suite!! The midwife kept telling me i didn't need to push... and i was like 'er yes I do!!!' so they had to call the delivery suite and get someone who was also in labour moved OUT of the a room there and moved upstairs where i was so I could have that room! They wheeled me down, by which time i was physically holding him in as i was told i couldn't push but i so desperately wanted to! The pain was so bad it just felt like pushing was the only thing that would ease it!!

My waters exploded on the bed on the way down to delivery suite and once in there my mom asked for pain relief for me as i was in agony but she said it was too late as head was there ready!! See i told them I needed to push!! I pushed once and a new (much lovelier midwife) just told me to direct my push a little more down stairs... so i asked her how many pushes before LO would be out, she said one big one and we could get him out.. So that was it, i gave every thing i had and pushed so hard my OH said I went purple!!! He was out then though, apart from a little push to get the body out too. He was born at 8.28pm weighing 5 lb 6 oz

I was so shocked when they said he was a boy, i was convinced all through my pregnancy that i was having a girl!

Sam did give a good cry though which was really reassuring. He was given a good examination and was handed to us. I can't believe how small he was and how cute!

At our 20 week scan problems were discovered with Sam's leg and foot.. He had severe talipes on his right ankle plus 7 toes! hehe so cute. They also discovered that there was a problem with his bowel, the precise problem they couldn't identify but we knew to expect something.

Once examined at birth it was discovered that Sam has an imperforate anus. This means that his back end hasn't formed properly. He was rushed to Leicester Royal Infirmary the night of his birth and was given an operation the next day to form a colostomy (where his bowel is brought through to his
stomach and he poos into a pouch). In about 3 months time he will have another operation to form a back end and pull the bowel into position where it needs to be, and another 3 months after that they will reverse his colostomy and connect everything together in the hope that he can then function 'normally'. In addition to these problems his knee was also what they have termed 'hyperextended' where it looked like his leg had been put on back to front! At one week old they placed his leg in plaster to try and manipulate it into a more normal position. after this has been done he will start treatment for his talipes (club foot)

Our little Sam has had a hard start to life and will have a hard couple of years too. But hopefully by the time he's old enough to realise he won't remember anything and he will be 'fixed' lol.

Here are a couple of pics of our beautiful little boy!!

https://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv160/jayoh2605/200509a005.jpg

https://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv160/jayoh2605/200509a040.jpg

https://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv160/jayoh2605/200509a044.jpg

Huge congrats xxx Hes Lovely, wishing him all the best for his future ops xxxx

Congrats he is lovely, and I think the 7 toes on the foot is so cute for some reason :)

Good luck in the future operations :hugs:

awww Congratulations - wishing him lots of luck with his operations xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"