Birth plan for a VBAC.............

Lownthwaite

1DD and cooking #2!
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I've seen the midwife today (I'm 35+1) and she's strongly recommended I create a birth plan before my meeting to discuss the birth with the consultant on the 4th.

I had a very traumatic labour with my DD which was 28 hours long, broken machinery, I was borderline pre-eclamptic, baby distressed, excruciating and violating procedures resulting in an emergency section. :cry:
I do NOT want to experience that again! :cry::nope:

I would like to go in the birthing centre but everyone I ask says there is no way I would be allowed in due to the previous section. :nope: I've more or less accepted that now but I would still like to be able to at least labour in the birthing pool on the delivery ward in the hospital as I think it would help me stay calm and not be as anxious.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should put in this birth plan? :shrug::wacko:

I know I want things to be as natural as possible.
No strapping me to a bed etc.
Midwife mentioned intermittent monitoring every 15 mins as apposed to constant. :shrug:

I really need guidance......... :wacko:

I haven't written one yet, but NCT have a sample one I think. Or just a quick google for vbac birth plan brought up quite a few ideas, sorry I can't offer any suggestions from a personal perspective x

I havent written mine offically yet, but I would say think about how you would want your birth to happen vs what you are strongly opposed too.

For me, this will be my 2nd vbac going for natural waterbirth.

I do not want constant monitoring, fine with intermittent
I would like to move freely
I want to be upright as much as possible
I do not want to be offered an epidural unless I request it
I would like to labor and deliver in birthing pool
Baby placed on chest immediately after birth and I would like to cut the cord when its done pulsating
If baby cannot be on my chest immediately, my partner should be with baby at all times
I would like my placenta, do not incinerate or formaldehyde it please
No circumcision
We will be breastfeeding, do not give formula to baby but I will accept a pacifier

I am not making an official birth plan, but am just researching all hospital policies to make sure I don't need to find another farther from home and discussing things at length with DH. He is a GREAT advocate and coach so I fully trust him to not lose his cool if things get hairy. Also, although I want a another natural birth (had a great experience with one before at a hospital) I don't want to be stressed out about things not going to the plan in case of emergency. We will just go in knowing what we want and armed with knowledge so we aren't duped and wing it, but will be sure to tell all the staff and the OB things we really care about leading up to the non-boring part of labor.

I have been on this thread reading natural birthing stories and questions and it has given me a lot of things to think about, some of which I never even considered. So I am feeling more prepared to do my research and just go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->