Birth Plan

N

Neecee

Does anyone know how to write one or what should be in it? Apparantly I should have done one by now!:blush:

I have done mine and off the top of my head i can remember....

- If you want to stay at home until it is absolutely necessary to go to the hospital
- who you want in the delivery room other than your birthing partner
- will you be using any medication for pain, if so what?
- Are you against the use of forceps and/or vaccuum extraction?

I am not genious as this is my PG but that is all I can remember from my sheets....sorry...:blush:

You dont have to do one. Make sure if you do that your birth partner knows exactky whats in it. Mine was completely ignored during my delivery, there were complications and some of it couldnt be followed but some could and no-one bothered with it.

Mine consisted off pain relief, who/what I wanted during labour, labour positions I wanted to try, who cut the chord, where I wanted baby placed after birth, how I wanted to feed her

You don't have to do 1 unless u feel very strongly that you want something or don't want something. I also didn't think u were meant to do them unitl you'd been to your antenatal classes because you may very well change your mind once you know a few more facts about the pain releif available etc.

These sites explain some things;
https://www.bootsparentingclub.com/...irth_of_your_baby/001_birthplan.php#checklist

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/planningyourbabysbirth/writingbirthplan/

These have templates you can print off and fill in;

https://www.eparenting.co.uk/pandb/writingyourbirthplan.shtml

https://www.bootsparentingclub.com/downloads/Birth Plan.pdf

Hope they're some help.

I did mine when I was 36 weeks or so and kept it very very simple.

You can always google birth plans to get an idea of what people put in them, that's what I did :D

Mostly preferences and stuff you really don't want on there.

Midwives prefer something short that they can look at briefly (not an essay like my 1st one was:blush::rofl:).

Preferred pain relief

Do you want baby delivered straight onto your naked tummy/chest?

If you'd like to "discover" the sex of the baby yourself.

Do you want your partner (or whoever) to cut the cord?

Do you want the injection that helps to expel your placenta?

Do you wish to be left alone after birth with baby and partner for a length of time to bond ("rooming in" I think it's called)?

They're the sort of things I can remember writing about

Apparantly I should have done one by now!:blush:

Well i havnt even done mine!!!!! lol.. my midwife was meant to do it with me but hasnt. There is a page in my notes that has like questions and you can write next to it.. Im just going to scribble a few things down there, Im not sure if they really pay attention anyway. And it never goes to plan anyway!!

Have you got your notes yet? If you have see if yours has a page with birth plan on it. But you still have plentlyy of time to do one!

I didn't bother with a birth plan lol!!

When I was induced they asked me what sort of pain relief i'd be wanting. I said just gas & air but ended up begging for an epidural :)

Also just before I had to start pushing the MW asked a few things like do I want Maya delivered onto my stomach straight away, how do I want vitamin K administered etc so I found it really didn't matter that I didn't write a birth plan :)

With my first i did a birth plan , But realised i didnt need it . If in an emergency OH knew what i wanted anyway .
The midwifes were constantly telling me what was going on and asking me if it was ok and what i wanted , So they had no need to ever check my birth plan .
Even thow they was worried about layla etc and whisked her off , They still asked OH if they wanted to cut the cord :) .
If you do want to write one hun , They normally consist of thinsg such as .....

1 = Who you would like in labour with you .
2 = What drugs you would consider and ones that are a deffinate no ! .
3 = If you want baby straight to chest or cleaned first .
4 = Who you would like to cut the cord .
5 = If you would like to stay in hospital or leave after a few hours (With no complications) .

Hoep that helps . xxxxxx .

I['m not gonna bother. I'm just going to go with the flow of things. If I write down what I want and I end up not getting it for unforeseen circumstances I'll probably be disappointed and I want the birth to be as enjoyable as possible.

Im not going to think about mine till im atleast 30weeks plus, Im still clueless about the whole process I wouldnt have anything to write!

I think the general idea is to get a few ideas on paper whenever you feel like it and refine it later, once you've been to your antenatal classes. I haven't started mine yet.

I don't really expect the midwives at the hospital to look at it, I think it's more for yourself really, so you get a clear idea of what you do and don't want, writing it down can help. Your birthing partner may want to have it to hand though, even if s/he knows what you want because you've talked about it. We won't be the only ones susceptible to nerves and distress on the big day! I think it's important for someone else to know the plan so that decisions can still be made even if we're in no fit state to make them.

I know that I don't want drugs, but I also know I will probably ask for them at some point! I'm actually relying on my wonderful hubby, who knows exactly how I feel and why, to remind me of that when I show signs of cracking! I reckon we'll need a "safety" word that I can give if I really mean it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->