Birth plan

^^ that's crazy, it's well documented that skin to skin is the best way of regulating baby's temp

Just what I said, the reply was they have a special care heat lamp and warm towels there to keep baby warm. Because I'm pretty much immobile and can only move my arms there may not be enough exposed body for baby to put on. My next request was to give baby to her Dad for skin to skin instead. She said ok but someone will be there to watch and listen to the babys breathing and they will take her away if they feel the need.

Im torn, I want skin to skin but I also want her to be ok, warm and happy. :shrug:

Best place for her is on you, second best is on dad. The heat lamp should be a last resort. Your baby, your choices - if you want dad to hold your baby who are they to say no?

I honestly thought they would be a little more supportive of this. I do understand giving borth in theatre is different from giving birth in a delivery room but as you say, certain things are good for baby. Im going to my MW in the morning for pre op bloods, Im thinking of asking if it would be better for me to change the plan slightly so that she goes straight to Dad who would have more body to place her on and then for me to have her in recovery. Will skin to skin be as beneficial an hour later? I dont want her bundled into a crib on the other side of the room while Im being stitched up. :cry:

Skin to skin is beneficial whenever you do it. I didn't get skin to skin till I was in recovery. They didn't let my OH stay when I was being cleaned up etc (for which I am quite grateful lol) but they put baby in a cot next to me and put her on her side so I could see her, it gave me something to look at while getting sorted.

I have just got back from my midwife, when I told her she actually banged her head on her desk lol. She said that its ridiculous and she has wrote in my notes that seeing as its the only thing I'm asking then, unless there is a medical reason not to then baby should have skin to skin. She agreed hubby would be better but its possible for me to have her and that yes, theatre is cold but baby isn't a small size, premature or distressed so there is no reason why we cant have our wish.

She said there is so many black and white areas now, no grey. Rules are rules and some people take what's written down as gospel and don't like straying incase they get in trouble for something. She said she believes in the old ways of midwifery where gut instincts are to go by and mother is best. :)

I'm to meet the midwife who comes to surgery with me and tell her, unless there is a problem then skin to skin or I will be complaining to her superiors.

Well done Ems hope it goes the way you want it to. My hubby said why can't they make theatre a bit warmer if its cold, don't they talk shit!!!!
Good luck for your section, make sure you tell us how it went big hugs x x x x

We are now home after our section. I took the advice from my MW and spoke to the theatre MW as soon as she introduced herself. She was happy for us to have skin to skin if it was possible and said if not she could go to hubby.
Once baby was born she took her to the table and wrapped her up and then brought her to me where she was put down my gown and covered with towels. After about 20 mins she took her again to clean her up and weigh her then she gave her back to me, where she stayed for the next couple of hours. Even though she had to be taken away it was only about 5 mins or so, the rest of the time she was with me which was perfect :)

We are now home after our section. I took the advice from my MW and spoke to the theatre MW as soon as she introduced herself. She was happy for us to have skin to skin if it was possible and said if not she could go to hubby.
Once baby was born she took her to the table and wrapped her up and then brought her to me where she was put down my gown and covered with towels. After about 20 mins she took her again to clean her up and weigh her then she gave her back to me, where she stayed for the next couple of hours. Even though she had to be taken away it was only about 5 mins or so, the rest of the time she was with me which was perfect :)
Brill, glad you had a good experience. sorry to hear about your sore nips!!! it does get better i promise:thumbup:
I bet your on :cloud9: right now, so excited for you.
I saw another registrar today but he was so much better than the woman i saw the other week. He said they wouldn't put baby straight onto you but would wrap first then baby can come to me, dad can trim the cord and he basically made it sound much better than her, he explained everything. I hope i don't get her on the day the ignorant cow lol.
Take care x x

Thanks for keeping us updated xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"