Birth Plans for the natural birther

reeve

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I am just about to start writing my birthplan and would very much like some imput/ideas on what to include/format etc.

I had my twins when i was 23 years old and i had them in the states- im now back in the UK-, i was very much pushed into every decision and ended up with a c section.

Im much older (30) and wiser now and would very much like to be in control of the situation and be left to it - i would have loved a homebirth, but due to having a c-section i am advised to give birth in the hospital - im ok with this aspect.

When i went into labour with the twins at 36 weeks i got to about 4cm in about 45 mins of my contractions becoming consistent. I didnt feel any pain, just uncomfortable and aware.

I am dead cert against and epi and morphine/pethadine or the like and ideally would like to not have gas and air, but im open to that if needs be.

So ladies... any imput would be greatly welcomed.

P.S - i am writing this birthplan as "an ideal" and of course am logical and practical to know thats not how things might turn out, but i just want them to know what i would like if i can ...

Thanks x

May I ask why they advised you to be in hospital? I mean, what aspect of the hospital do they think is safer than home? :)

Things to consider for your birth plan - well, it really depends what is important to you! Things that some ladies include:
- the fact that you don't want to be offered drugs
- what kind of monitoring you would prefer, if any
- freedom of movement, positions you might like to try
- do you want to be coached during pushing, or push intuitively?
- would you like to see the baby emerge (some ladies like to use a mirror)? Do you want to feel the head as it comes out? (some women really want this and others really don't! My friend was freaked out when the MW moved her hand, so the next time she put it in her plan not to do that.)
- would you or your partner like to catch/help catch? find out the sex? cut the cord?
- when would you prefer the cord be clamped?
- what are your preferences re: the third stage? Vitamin K?
- do you want to BF? how do you feel about supplementing, formula, artificial teats etc?
- some women want to see the placenta, or take pictures of it, or keep it.

Pick the stuff that is important to you :)

May I ask why they advised you to be in hospital? I mean, what aspect of the hospital do they think is safer than home? :)

Things to consider for your birth plan - well, it really depends what is important to you! Things that some ladies include:
- the fact that you don't want to be offered drugs
- what kind of monitoring you would prefer, if any
- freedom of movement, positions you might like to try
- do you want to be coached during pushing, or push intuitively?
- would you like to see the baby emerge (some ladies like to use a mirror)? Do you want to feel the head as it comes out? (some women really want this and others really don't! My friend was freaked out when the MW moved her hand, so the next time she put it in her plan not to do that.)
- would you or your partner like to catch/help catch? find out the sex? cut the cord?
- when would you prefer the cord be clamped?
- what are your preferences re: the third stage? Vitamin K?
- do you want to BF? how do you feel about supplementing, formula, artificial teats etc?
- some women want to see the placenta, or take pictures of it, or keep it.

Pick the stuff that is important to you :)

There is a risk of rupture to the c section scars with a vbac, i think its like 1% and its life threatening if it should happen. Im 30 mins away from my hospital on a clear road, so thats an hours trip - both me and baby could die within that time frame. Hence the hospital birth.

I know its a low percentage risk, but its still a risk and im happy to forgo a home birth, AS LONG as i can be more in control of a hospital birth - which they have agreed in principle. Hence wanting a clear birth plan.

Thanks for your tips!!

The statistic they gave you seems quite high - is that the statistic for THAT particular hospital, or a general figure? Does it include women who were induced or augmented? What kind of monitoring will they do to watch out for problems with your scar - will it be by a machine (which will restrict your movement and affect your labour) or by a skilled attendant who knows what to look for and is giving you continuous one to one care?

Couple of VBACy links :)

https://www.caesarean.org.uk/FAQ.html#rupture

https://vbacfacts.com/quick-facts/

it was just a general statistic they gave me :S

My hospital has telemetry monitoring, though they said they will see how i am doing and how my contractions feel ( ie back to back, no relief) before they hook me up to that, so even if i do i will still have movement and they can even go into the birthing pool.. which is something that i would like ( though i dont want to deliver in the pool).

Thanks for the links - ill have a read later, its 5 am and i couldnt sleep, but id doubt id take much in at this hour lol!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->