Birth Plans

Lou

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

Ok, so I know for a few of us it is years away, but I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas Re birth plans.

I think for my first baba, I'd like to be in hospital with the comfort of knowing that if something goes wrong, we're in the best place. And for pain releif, Gas and Air and I wouldnt mind an epi if push came to shove! I know things never really fo to plan in labour but thought it would be cool to think about.

How about the ladies who've had LO's? What did you choose and how would you do it differently the next time round?

xxxx

Home birth for me, or midwives unit at a push but with twins running in my family, if i have a double whammy then that will go right out the window.......! xx

I had a hospital birth, and it was wonderful. I was induced, but active labour was only 4 hours and I managed to do it on gas and air with super strong contractions!

Next time I definately want a water birth at home.

Home birth for me, i hate hospitals. Hopefully with a birthing pool and gas and air.

I had a hospital birth, and it was wonderful. I was induced, but active labour was only 4 hours and I managed to do it on gas and air with super strong contractions!

Next time I definately want a water birth at home.

Wow! Well done you!! and on gas and air only. I've never experienced labour, but hats of to you! I really don't think I could hack JUST gas and air - would really want to though.

xxxx

Thank you so much!

To be honest I was begging for an epidural but I told the midwife not to give me one unless everyone agreed I couldn't do it. Aparently they didn't! :rofl: I'm so glad she didn't let me though. I felt so proud afterwards.

You can do anything you set your mind to. I fully expect to go into my next labour with as open a mind as I did last time. I would love to do it without gas and air untill the very end next time, but we'll see how things go. I'm not going to stop myself if I really need it.

Every labour is different at the end of the day. No one is a failure for having to have pain meds. It's what they're there for!

My biggest fear is c-section.

I chose Natural For my first , failed that and turned into an emergency c-section , second was c-section so the third will be no dobt :)

I'd like a home birth with a birth pool, midwife, gas and air! BUT I think I'll get worried near the time and just have a hospital/midwife unit birth.

I'm all for a hospital and drugs. I've no desire to be in agony. I had a kidney stone a few years back and it was the most painful thing ever. All the nurses are telling me how labor doesn't hurt as much as the pain I was in and all I could think was, "That's nice. Give me some drugs or I'm putting my fist through this wall!"

I made a birth plan last time and it never left my bag and to be honest Im so pleased. I would never have had the labour I did.

I said in my birth plan that under no circumstances should I have pethedine, I needed an epidural. In the end I agreed to one and gave birth in about 4 hours with just pethedine (wore off pretty quickly as labour progressed so fast). So pleased I managed without an epidural despite having SPD.

So next time no birth plan for me.

xxx

I originally planed to try for a natural birth, but left all options open. I ended up being 4 days over due and induced (Kathryn had a big head). After 5 hours of strong contractions got an epi (took 1/2 an hour to get the damn needle in!), and after 18 hours of labour, and only 3 cm dilated had to get a c-section due to lack of progress and bubs heart rate started dipping (slightly) after each contraction (it wasn't emergency though). I'm actually glad I got a c-section (although the recovery was awful) cause at least I have my girly bits in tact (sorry if tmi). As for my next one, I'll most likely be getting a scheduled c-section, due to the scar tissue. Though I certainly wont be looking forward to the recovery.

I had a peaceful birth in a Family Birth Center with a very compassionate male Ob (I add male in there because I had female gynocologists before who were pretty rude). Next time I'll be in a Birth Center again, but with a midwife and a water birth. I would love to birth with my Ob again, but we'll be about 2 hours away next time.

I'd love a water birth in a birth center with a midwife. To be honest I'm worried that when the time comes, I'll ignore my wishes and ask for the epidural, but I would give a natural birth a try first. You never know the circumstances you will be faced with so I guess it depends!

I had a birth plan with Jasper, but it was pretty romantic and my labour went quite wrong and it was mainly due to negligence on the behalf of the medical staff - I have been advised to sue... I'm not sure whether or not I will... I'm still a bit emotional about it... but... I still might.

I know next time, my plan will be to go in knowing my rights, knowing nothing can be done to me without my conscent, unless absolutely medically nessessary. I have faith in my own body, and my own instincts to lead me through the labour - and knowing also that my labour will be what it'll be, and not to put any expectations on it. I expect a healthy baby at the end of it - which is what I got with Jasper and it's what I will get with baby X.

Also... go the gas! Absolutely savd my life in the face of awful adversity... the air 'tasted' just like soft serve icecream... when I told my OH this he thought I was crazy, but I think it did! I was probably just high on it!!

I would love to labour/birth in a birthing pool as I love the water. I haven't really thought any further than that as from what I read the chances are things won't go to plan anyway!

wow, there are some interesting choices and some interesting stories to be told. Thanks for sharing them.

Is it true that they don't like to give epi's out? Also when my mum had all of us kids (9 in total) she said that everytime she had an EPI it only blocked out one side of her, yet she could feel Everything on the other side... that scares the life out of me, I realy hope its just poor injecting skills.

xxx

I want to be more active next time, I was anaemic this time (no one told me til I was 37 weeks, handy!) so I had no energy, next time I hope I'll be moving around a bit more, hopefully I'll use my birthing ball next time as I didn't go anywhere near that with Joseph! I also want to try just gas and air next time, I had pethadine last time and I'm not sure if that was the cause but Joseph needed oxygen when he was born as he wasn't breathing properly. However I will consider an epidural as I was begging for one last time and it was too late! I will definitely try to keep an open mind tho xx

I dont like needles so I defiantly dont want an epidural, the thought of putting a needle in my spine makes me want to puke. I think Id like a water birth, but Id be worried that Id have a poo by accident and someone will have to fish it out with a net..... Id want to be in the hospital though, for peace of mind if something happened. OH will not be allowed near my legs, he will never find me sexually attractive again im sure :rofl:

After reading caitlinsmummys birth story i would like a home birth but i got a feeling as it will be my first time i will be scared and have a hospital birth. Guess i havent thought about this that much. will do nearer the time thought. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->