Birth Plans?

JellyBeann

Son, Daughter, 2 Angels
Reaction score
Hi ladies, what kind of things are in your birth plans?

I put absolutely everything that I wanted to happen and everything I didn't want to happen in..........and I am so so glad I did as it was followed to the letter and I got the labour and birth for Isla that I had hoped for.
So, I put in things like help to breathe to avoid tearing, no vit K injection, natural delivery of placenta, what to do in event of a transfer to hospital, all that kind of thing - it did end up being quite a long document, but it was so important to me and it worked very well for me.

I had 5 parts to mine.

The first part was stuff like my name, the names of the people who would be with me and a short "disclaimer", something like "In the event of an emergency, if the situation becomes life-threatening for me or our baby, we will yield to any life-saving intervention on the briefest of consultation...."

Stuff I included:
- please don't touch the baby during or after the birth w/o asking
- help us keep the atmosphere calm and positive (quiet voices, low lights)
- leave me by myself apart from anyone I have specifically asked to stay with me (apart from intermittent checks)
- I will have complete freedom of movement throughout
- supplies under the mirror in the lounge [I had a HB]
- you're welcome to use my camera if you have chance

If all is going well:
- don't offer drugs (I'll ask if I change my mind)
- keep monitoring to the barest minimum
- I'll push as I want to. Please don't "coach" me unless I ask for help.
- catch my baby & find out the sex myself. If I am unable/don't want to, please give DH this opportunity.
- have immediate, uninterrupted and undisturbed skin to skin.
- avoid early cord clamping. I’ll say when I’m ready to cut it. Please give DH this opportunity.
- have a physiological 3rd stage
- be left alone with the baby in the moments after the birth.
- have all routine procedures delayed until at least an hour after delivery
- have my baby touched only by myself, my husband or my mother as much as possible.
- DECLINE Vitamin K. We may re-consider (oral drops) AFTER the baby has been born.

Please note: I will be keeping my placenta.

I used the nhs birth plan which is a tick box set up then has boxes in each section to add any specifics. Really liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->