• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Birth story, I had my (very fast) water home birth!

Impet Limpet

Mummy to two under two
Reaction score
Woke up 10 days before EDD at around 2am with regular pains that got closer together (5 mins apart) so I rang midwife who came out, agreed they were regular, then she checked my cervix and.....

nothing... she could even reach it, so it was a false alarm :-(

On baby's EDD I noticed baby had been moving around less than normal for about 48hours so went into hospital for a half hour monitor, the baby perked up and the midwife mentioned the regular contractions they were also picking up, I said I'd had them for days and days but they didn't stop me in my tracks or anything. As I left she assured me I wouldn't end up being a home birth who would end up being induced instead. "Things are definitely happening".

We went out later in the day with DS1, and the grandparents to the park at this point no one other than hubby knew the goings on. During this time I noticed the contractions were getting quite strong and I had to grip hubbys hand when they came. We suggested all going for an ice cream and then heading home because we had "errands to run" (In fact me and hubby had agreed we needed to get MW out to see what was going on).

I felt a 'pop' when eating the icecream and excused myself to the loo hoping to goodness there wouldn't be a gush when I stood up! There wasn't but I did put those pelvis floor exercises to good use just in case!

In the loo the contractions became really REALLY strong and I rang my husband to tell him to collect the car and it appeared my waters had broken. The cat was out the bag at that point, MiL and DiL realised it was all going on and offered to take DS1 off our hands. It was about 15:00 when we rang the delivery suite to tell them things were happening!

Once home I took paracetamol and attached the TENS machine and started tidying the kitchen (clearly the most obvious thing to do?). at 15:20 the midwife rang and said she'd be on her way. Although very painful I was very calm at this point - I think the painkillers must have kicked in.

As they got stronger I told hubby to fill up the pool as "even if this baby isn't coming yet I'm getting in for pain relief!!".

Every time a contraction started I'd yell for my husband and he come in the kitchen and sway with me until it passed. He then informed me they were coming less than a minute apart, by this point I was shaking and clammy and had ramped up the TENS machine significantly. I was starting to worry that this was transition and the MW wasn't going to make it.

The MW turned up at 16:20 (in hindsight we laughed because I live less than a mile from the hospital!). She did my obs and then an internal and announced I was 4-5cm. I was GUTTED! I thought I was at least 8. With my first baby, also a HB, I'd made it to 6cm with much less pain!

Gas and air by 16:30 and the midwife okay'd me to get in the pool, which we'd set up in the dining area. However my contractions were so strong and so close together I couldn't actually get a break long enough to enter!! As I stood by the pool I saw my show and decided I felt it necessary to announce to hubby "don't worry it's normal". I decided it was now or never and virtually dived in the pool. It then all happened vary quickly

As I hung over the side sucking on G&A for dear life I felt the urge to push, the MW realising my breathing had changed came from the living area where she was writing up my notes and asked if I felt a pressure. I nodded and she rang for the second midwife to come out, while referring to me as a "naughty monkey" haha! She went back into the living area to continue doing what she was doing, probably writing down progress.

I did no active pushing as it was only a few mins before I was 4-5cm so didn't believe I was ready to push. All off a sudden I got the urge to change position into a reclined position (instead of hanging over the side with my legs behind me), as I did so I was certain the baby was coming. I tried to pull of my shorts (I was still fully clothed lol!) while holding the gas and air, much to hubbys amusement.

I then put my hand down and sure enough there was the top of a head

"theres a head", not sure if anyone could tell what I was saying..."THERE'S A HEAD!"

DH said something that was meant to be reassuring as he clearly thought I was panicking (My husband later said he thought I was off my rocker on G&A and I was imagining it!) The MW dashed from the living area at the same time DH looked down and confirmed there was a head.

Lovely MW just managed to get her gloves on and catch the baby! While referring to us both as "naughty monkeys" for doing it all without her.

The time...?

16:43. Precisely 23mins after she had first knocked on the door, she hadn't even finished unloading her car! She had to ring and cancel the second midwife of course...

Alexander Logan 7lb 15oz and half. :happydance:

Lovely birth story! Congrats, and thanks for sharing!!

congratulations, it all sounds lovely! :)

Thanks for sharing your story. x

Congrats! Thanks for sharing your story!

Thanks! Good luck to everyone planning their births!
I'll try post a piccie soon!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->