Birth story of Adélie-Rose. 7lb 9oz 1/8/11

Pippin

Sam and Adélie-Rose's Mum
Reaction score
Typing one handed s excuse mistakes.

Well it all started about 10am I think getting regular period type pains and pains in my hips just like I got when I went into labour with Sam so I knew something was different from the normal BH. I timed a few of them and they were 6 minutes apart and very mild. I had three small gushes of liquid which I thought might be my waters but wasn’t sure as it wasn’t buckets which I’d expect. This carried on all day really but I had my best friend over for lunch with my Mum and Simon and that passed the time quite nicely. By 5pm I was willing my friend to go as I was getting a bit uncomfortable with the hip pain. It was also now in my back. She went about 5:15 and then my brother and SIL arrived back from their weekend in London Town. Nice to see them but yet another audience. I quietly slipped off to the front room around 7pm as I wanted to be alone. The pain was making me cry now so I knew this was it. Around 8pm they were 4 minutes apart and lasting over a minute now so my Mum phoned. The midwife said to come in immediately as it was my second baby. So we got to the hospital at 9 and hooked me up. First of all she was worried baby was in distressed as the heart showed deceleration but the doctor said no. On examination found me 3 cm and no waters so my suspicions were confirmed. I was to be admitted and allowed gas and air. So off we trotted to room 7, other end to where I had Sam but it was a lovely room with large calming paintings on the wall, one of a mother and child that gave me a nice focus. Our midwife Teresa was delightful, although I got the impression that she was a newly trained midwife. I explained I wanted to ‘try’ and avoid an epidural and strictly no pethadine, she supported all this and encouraged me. Well, I’ll get back to that in a bit. So I did well walking around on gas and air (after another trace to check heart and all very happy inside) and they left us to it. About 11:30ish the pain went up a notch and I said I needed an epidural so DH called the midwife. On examination I was still only 3cm and they wouldn’t give it to me. I almost cried (not sure how I didn’t). They then convinced me to have pethadine to get me to 4cm over the next few hours. Well the pain was so bad in my hips I said yes. It was horrible, I hallucinated old people (eyes shut) and felt very out of it, but it did do something as I don’t remember the next two hours. I do remember thinking my contractions had stopped and panicked as I only remember three in a whole hour (clearly I slept through them all, so did DH). It also made me feel a bit sick when using gas and air so I remember that too. Around 2am I shot out of bed and was violently ill in the loo, screaming for Simon to get the midwife, two came, mine and her supervisor who had given me the pethadine. She came in took one look at me and told me to get on the bed. By his point I was mooing like a demented cow screaming for my epidural. I remember thinking why aren’t you getting it for me and why are you saying my baby will be here soon. Basically the midwife realized I was probably fully dilated and in the third stage, going from 3cm to fully dilated in about 2 hours. She didn’t examine me, she didn’t need too just told me when I felt pressure to push. Oh boy did I feel pressure, it was like nothing I felt before, literally as I felt nothing with the epidural last time. I can only describe it as a very large force making it’s way through you without you having any say what so ever, most of it in the bum region!!! Anyway with a lot of noise and no gas and air Adélie-Rose was born 12 minutes later in 4 pushes. I did it with no epidural and so pleased as it meant I could go home after all the checks had been done. Midwives were gorgeous saying, “see we knew when you walked in you could do it” and I did. So pleased but never want to do it again. I had a second-degree tear like Sam and the new midwife did it so preying she did a good job. Adélie-Rose was checked and all was good, she got weighed an hour later after stitching me up coming in at 3.46kg which is about 7lb 9oz. My huge baby turned out to be just perfect size. So after this I was booked into the ward which to my delight was a private en-suite room as there was literally no other beds available…. Result! Told Teresa just how much I loved her for all she did for me and after a big cuddle said, “if midwifery is always like this it’s going to be fabulous”, then told me I was an excellent patient and thanked me as well. Must remember to send her a card as I thought that was so sweet. Had about 2 hours sleep on and off (in my lovely quiet room) and then all her and my checks completed. These went well apart from the hearing test that she did three times but thankfully all came back clear. So we left hospital at 4pm roughly and spent her first night at home not even a day old. Couldn’t fault the hospital one bit, probably because we only had to deal with midwives and not doctors (well only the baby doctor who was completely humourless) but I shouldn’t say that.

Looking at my stats this is what officially recorded.
Duration of labour –
1st Stage 4hours 20 minutes,
2nd Stage 14 minutes
Total 1st and 2nd 4 hours 34
3rd Stage 12 minutes

(ps my first delivery was 54 hours so just goes to show second ones really are quicker)

Attachments

• photo2A.JPG
    photo2A.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 93
  • photoAdelie.JPG
    photoAdelie.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 83
Wow that was a nice and fast delivery. Congratulations she is beautiful!

Great birth story! Congratulations, she is absolutely beautiful :cloud9: xx

Enjoyed reading your birth story! Congrats! She's beautiful!

Pip...she's absolutley beautiful and love the name too :flower:

Congratulations

XxX

yay! well done you :) huge congratulations sweetie, what a brilliant birth story, so nice to hear of shorter second labours :D Adelie-Rose is beautiful :cloud9:

Congratulations, Adelie-Rose is beautiful, LOVE her name :cloud9:

Congratulations hon, she's beautiful :cloud9:

Aww she's beautifull :) congratulations x

Huge congrats!! She is beautiful!

Our Little girls share the same birthday :thumbup:

Huge congrats!! She is beautiful!

Our Little girls share the same birthday :thumbup:

Aww lovely, congratulations to you too. I think 1/8/11 has a lovely ring to it. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->