Birth story of Joseph sean- proof that preggos know best!

lau86

Reaction score
So, (and I'm just gonna say some of this may not make alot of sense cos it's all my jumbled thoughts!) I was induced yesterday morning after going two weeks over.
I've had a really easy pregnancy and no problems apart from the odd bit of heartburn. On early hours of Monday morning I started getting pains, what I thought could be contractions. They weren't too strong and about 8-15 minutes apart. I went up for my induction as planned and they checked me to find my cervix was 2cm dilated but otherwise unfavourable (so I was in early labour by myself). They put the first prostin pessary in and arranged to examine me at 5 o clock (6hrs later). When they did I was 3cm and cervix was very favourable. I was really pleased.I'd had some contractions about 3 in 10 but they weren't too strong and I was managing without pain relief. They then put the 2nd pessary in and contractions came stronger about 5 every ten minutes very strong and becoming stronger and more frequent.I went for a walk with oh and when I came back they were worse. I had my tens on by this point but it wasn't really helping. I asked for some paracetamol which they brought me. Soon the pains were awful and I was absolutely climbing the Walls, getting
shivery and generally talking nonsense to oh. I called the midwife in and explained I couldn't cope. She felt my tummy during a contraction and said they were mild to moderate, it was going to get alot worse and become 'explosive' and arranged quite grudgingly for me to have some codeine- crucially she did not examine me despite me saying the pains were a minute long and felt pretty constant. A few minutes later I felt the urge to push. Oh called the midwife, another midwife came in and I ranted about the urge to push, I was going crazy by this point begging for an epiural. This midwife told me i 'didn't look like I was in active labour' and the pains were likely to just be prostin pains, but cause of the pushing she agreed to examine me. Well surprise surprise when she examined me I was 9cm dilated and the pushing was real, not back to back like she had said!! Well then the midwives shat themselves and rushed me to labour ward on a wheelchair where baby got into distress cos I was hysterical and pushing despite not really being ready. About twenty minutes later Joseph was born via ventouse cos of fetal distress. I suffered a second degree tear which cos of where it was needed to be repaired in theatre under a spinal. I cannot tell you how gutted I was when I heard I would need a spinal despite having done the induction and whole of labour
with paracetamol (the codeine had not taken effect). But when it came to it it was wonderful to be free from pain for a bit. Joseph stayed with oh in the delivery room.

It is sooo lovely to have my baby boy, he's just gorgeous. But I wish the midwives hadn't been so dismissive of me when is said I was in terrible pain. In hindsight I feel like I was totally robbed off, I've got no idea why cos I was completely undemanding up until that point.
I know my story seems quite negative but it really is all worth it to have your baby and what I will say is follow your instincts- if you feel something is wrong it probably is!! And if you've read all that you've got the patience of a saint!

It doesn't sound like a negative story. I'm glad you've highlighted that YOU know your body, not the midwives. I'll play up should the same happen to me! Congratulations, I'm glad he's here safe and sound. :)

congratulations!!! Its a pity they wouldn't listen to you but theres the proof that we do know our bodies best

enjoy your little bundle of loveliness :)

Congrats on your baby boy :flower: :) I deliberately didn't make a birth plan for the sole reason I believe that when the time comes you'll know what to do. Also so much can change its a very uncertain time and I wouldnt want to have expectations and for them not to happen :nope:

Congratulations - I'm glad everything worked out ok in the end :) I've experienced quite a few dismissive midwives so far but to experience it in labour is something else! Lovely name btw x

Congratulations! And well done on the natural birth xx
Its such a shame that some MWs still wont listen to a woman in labour and think they always know best.

Congrats!!! It is frustrating when the medical staff is so dismissive!!!

Huge congrats on the birth of Joseph Sean, lovely name, well done you!

With DS the midwives insisted I wasn't in active labour as I had been 3cm for a week and was still 3cm when I got to hospital despite contractions a few minutes apart. They gave me sleeping tablets and then when I was climbing the walls with the pain I had to send DH to get them an hour later, they examined me and I was 7cm. They dismissed my request for pain relief other than g&a and when I said I needed to push they said to push when I felt like it and left us to it! Ended up pushing for 4 hours and in the end had to be put on a hormone drip to speed things up. All was fine in the end - had a 2nd degree tear but not severe - but this time round DH and I will speak up more, some of the midwives were brilliant but we got the impression that the others who left us to it didn't expect me to progress so quickly with a first baby and were dismissive and unhelpful.

Sorry for hijack thread - if only to remind other first time mums to assert themselves.

Congrats, I hate 'I know best' midwives! When I had Riley the midwives were all 'your body knows best' sort of midwives and were brilliant, shame not all midwives are like that eh!!

Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->