Birthday suggestions needed

alicecooper

1 girl, 3 boys
Reaction score
Okay guys I could use a few ideas for my DD and DS2's birthdays in a few weeks time.

Basically :

Jason will turn 5 on 24th September and Lydia will turn 9 on 25th September.

Lydia has 2 friends from school, both live within walking distance from our house. Kayleigh is 10 and Lucille is 9.
Kayleigh's family has no car so they find it difficult to get anywhere that is far.
Lucille's family has a car.

She also has 2 other friends. Summer is 8 and Courtney is 10.
Summer's dad lives next door to us, and she visits him every second weekend. Other than that, she lives with her mother, but I don't know where she lives or what transport arrangements are like (though I know her dad drives a car).

I have no idea where Courtney lives, but I know her parents are deceased. Her Aunt lives on our estate and she comes to stay with her every couple of weeks, but it doesn't seem to be specific days that she's here, it's just whenever they feel like it. She's here at the moment, and was here a few days ago. I have no clue what her transport situation is like.

Jason, on the other hand, he has 1 friend on our street, Dominic, who is 5, but his mother doesn't like us particularly, and whenever we invite him to birthdays she always says no (though she doesn't mind if they play together outside on regular days).

Other than that, he doesn't start primary school until 3rd September, and even then for the first couple of weeks he's doing half-days, so I have no clue whether or not he'll make any friends before his birthday.

Both of their birthdays fall on school days (Jason's on a Wednesday and Lydia's on a Thursday).

To make matters more complicated, Lydia and Alex (our 7 year old) have swimming lessons on Wednesdays after school, which I'm reluctant for them to miss, though if push comes to shove they can miss it if they have to.

We can't do cinema because we have Nathan our 13 month old to consider, and he can't sit through a film.
We don't want to do bowling because we did that for Lydia's 7th birthday and we might as well have not bothered, they all got bored half way through the game and just wandered off to the arcades, so it's a waste of money.
None of them want to do soft play or restaurant as they did that last year.
I suggested just having friends round to the house for pizza, but Lydia was like "Well that's bit boring, Courtney and Summer are always in our house when they're round here anyway!"

I'm at a loss! Lydia insists she'd like her friends to share her birthday - or at the very least for us to organise something on the weekend closest to their birthdays.
Likewise though I don't want to make it all about Lydia, and have Jason feeling left out that he's got no friends.
And we need to consider Alex and Nathan too of course.

And not forgetting that in late September the weather is a bit dicey, so organising an outdoor party probably isn't wise, as it'll likely just rain.

Argh I'm just baffled!

What about taking lydia and her friends out shopping or similar (a grown up Starbucks and a new top kind if thing) and then plan a family day trip to include everyone to somewhere Jason would like...... somewhere with trains or planes or animals would go down well with my nearly 5yo. Not really a joint thing but would cover all bases.

I had a trampolining party when I was younger and loved it, could that work??

I like the idea of taking the girls out or having a pamper party for them, nail painting/face masks etc. Or a sleepover? Altho maybe not the best idea they might keep you up all night!!

I personally think Jason might make friends quickly. At least 2 or 3 that you can invite out somewhere.

OMG haha no way am I doing a sleepover.

Sadly our trampoline is broken.

The thing about a pamper day is that Lydia really isn't particularly girly (after all, she's growing up with 3 brothers lol), but I'll propose it to her and see what she thinks. Thanks guys for the suggestions x

If the weather is ok crazy golf might work if there's a course nearby for an indoor activity is there a laser quest near you or an ice rink?

Also you don't have to do the party on their birthdays if it messes with your school routine. You could have cake and family pressies in the day and activities at the weekend.

If the weather is ok crazy golf might work if there's a course nearby for an indoor activity is there a laser quest near you or an ice rink?

Also you don't have to do the party on their birthdays if it messes with your school routine. You could have cake and family pressies in the day and activities at the weekend.

Unfortunately in Barnsley where we live there's only bowling or cinema or restaurants.

In Sheffield, which is about 20 mins on the motorway (just under 13 miles away from our house), there's laser quest and ice skating and crazy golf, but I'm concerned that none of Lydia's friends except maybe Lucille would be able to make it there.

We've more or less decided to go swimming on Jason's birthday. We've decided to tie it in with Lydia and Alex's swimming lesson, so we'll all go in the part with water slides for a couple of hours, and then whilst I get Nathan and Jason dried, DH can take the eldest two to the next pool for their lesson. Fun + practical, and it's not often we all get to go swimming together.

For Lydia's birthday I'm still a bit stumped.

Partys that stick in my mind from when I was young are going to see a play, an ice cream and movie party, swimming partys and a party where we had a big treasure hunt at the birthday girls house. If your local swimming pool do a fun swim on the weekend (with floats and stuff) you could take the kids to that and then back to the house for a movie and some good ol' fashioned junk food?

What does she like?

cooking - cupcake making decorating party? bake off ?

making? - fashion show dresses? craft activities

sports? organise own mini Olympics

dance/music making own show to perform or film?

What does she like?

cooking - cupcake making decorating party? bake off ?

making? - fashion show dresses? craft activities

sports? organise own mini Olympics

dance/music making own show to perform or film?

Ummm

She likes sitting in her bedroom like a recluse watching minecraft videos lol

God only knows.

She likes art.

I'm still pondering it over, thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep em coming, it all helps xx

Do you have a Pizza Express near you? They do Pizza Parties where the kids get to make their own and eat them.

Are you wanting a joint party or willing to do two parties? For the girls, if Lydia would like it, you might be able to get someone round to do 'princess parties,' they get nails done, make up etc then you could finish with takeaway & movie.

Swimming party could be an idea for a joint party. Can you hire the pool with floats etc? Then do a spread for afterwards (or back to yours for pizza etc if there isn't many children)

If she likes art - then maybe buy some of those canvases and paint and other materials and they can all make a masterpiece....................

What about one of the ceramic cafes where they can paint pottery if she likes art

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->