Birthing class tomor and terrified!

Jcliff

Reaction score
Well my husband and I start our first birth class tomorrow night at the hospital. This is our first baby and I'm terrified. I've somewhat been putting off facing the entire delivery, pretending its not going to happen! But since baby is due soon I have to face it and it's so scary!! I remember booking this class in February thinking its so far away. Not anymore! I'm also concerned for my husband because this class is going to be a reality check for him too!!

lol. I pretended I wouldn't have to go through labor and delivery with my first, too. I didn't do any classes or anything, and when the time came, I just did what came naturally. I dunno what I was freaking out about. It wasn't a huge deal at all. I slept in my hospital bed until fully dilated, and then I woke up to push. :haha: I guess the bigger deal is that you're far enough along to be thinking about delivery, though. That baby will be here so soon!!! Don't let the class scare ya, though. I hope you and your husband can get through it without freaking out too much.

Don't be terrified, but be prepared: I was excited to go to my first class and I came home in tears. I wasn't expecting them to tell us everything that can possibly go wrong with the birth! The most likely scenario is that you and your baby will both be totally fine, they just want to prepare you. Most birth stories that I have heard/read are quite positive. So try not to worry about it too much (and let yourself have a nice rest after the class!).

I didn't do any classes, I just kinda went with it. It's the most natural thing in the world, and so long as you know what your options are should you need any help, then I don't know if a class can prepare you for it.

I was scared about giving birth. I was terrified in fact. But, I found it not that bad. It was very quick for me (luckily!) but the most painful part is the part right before you actually give birth, and when you're at the point when you feel like you can't take anymore you know that it's nearly over.

You're gonna be meeting your baby, try to see it like that. It's hard to, God I know it is, but being afraid doesn't change what you have to do. Just be ready, and stick your head in the sand until you start getting contractions :)

Please try not to worry and be scared, it's not that bad (yes it's painful) but it really really is worth it. And you're in good hands medically!

I have really enjoyed my birthing classes! My last class is tomorrow night. Cheer up, birthing class won't be as scary as you think. :) I think that a lot of the fear associated with birth is because people don't know what to expect. Birthing class helps with that.

Thanks all. I mostly signed up for the birthing class so my husband gets some idea what is going to happen. I think hes in denial lol. Also ive been told I need to learn some breathing techniques. The only thing Im sure of right now, is i WILL be getting an epidural :)

The only thing Im sure of right now, is i WILL be getting an epidural :)

No wonder you're scared. The idea of an epidural scares me more than anything!

By the way, don't necessarily bank on the fact that you are getting an epidural. Sometimes things happen too fast or there are other reasons you might not end up with one. You should be prepared just in case.

I took like 5 different classes with my first; a boot camp class, a labor class, a breast feeding class, a Lamaze series of classes, and a budgeting for baby class. I felt like I was so prepared BUT I was so wrapped up in the birth and getting baby here that I kinda skipped over the whole what to do the first couple weeks with a new baby, lol. I felt so lost. Anyways it's always good to prepare.

The only thing Im sure of right now, is i WILL be getting an epidural :)

No wonder you're scared. The idea of an epidural scares me more than anything!

By the way, don't necessarily bank on the fact that you are getting an epidural. Sometimes things happen too fast or there are other reasons you might not end up with one. You should be prepared just in case.

ohhhh i will be getting one lol I will make sure of it. Im not afraid of that at all actually. Im more of afraid before it.

Hey Jess. Just wanted to share my two cents, as always :). I had always planned on an epidural, so I figured there wouldn't really be any pain or anything, I wasn't worried at all. My husband and I did a childbirth class.... But in my head I was like, whatever, I'll have an epidural and don't need any of these coping techniques. Well my epidural DIDN'T work and for me (I had pitocin the whole time and she was positioned the wrong way...) i was in horrific pain. I wish I did some breathing or something. So even if you plan on an epidural, still try to remember some of the other things that can be offered.... Diff coping techniques. Better to go in with lots and not need them if the epidural is awesome than the other way around like me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->