Birthing pool after induction?

Sunday_girl

Leo's mummy
Reaction score
Go in for my induction tomorrow morning and reading up on the NHS NICE guidlines it says 'The opportunity to labour in water is recommended for pain relief.'

I thought it was constantly being monitored on the bed? How much can you actually move about?

I'm interested in knowing this too! :)

meee too as im probably going to get induced and a waterbirth has been my plan from day one.

I was induced with my daughter and wasn't allowed to go in the pool- I was on the bed being monitored- that doesn't necessarily mean the same will happen with you though- there was meconium in my waters so I think that was why with me- hopefully they'll let you in the pool :)

i was induced with my first, my waters were broken so i should if been able to get in the pool but they wouldnt let me . so i was just strapped to the bed :(

so i doubt ule be allowed in the water but keep as active as u can and dont keep lying on ur back, keep as mobile as u can for aslong as u can and ule be fine x

good luck

Hi I was induced 3 days ago due to high blood pressure and was told that it might be possible but was up to the doc incharge on the day. he said no due to both the high blood pressure and induction together in the end. one would be ok.
It also depends on what induction methods are used, (if uk) I had gell inserted pm, being monitored (straped to bed time) for 30 min before and after, waited overnight for labour being monitored again when contractions started. waters broke in the morning as contractions not good enough again monitored 30 min before and after for 30 min. got an hour to make this work, still possible to have water birth at this point.
Didnt work and due to blood pressure probs was told no water birth and needed the syntoxin? drip to up contractions. with drip you are monitored much more so water bith is out. I then chose to have epidural before drip was in as I knew I couldnt cope with the pain after drip was in from 1st baby.
My advice is dont go with any hopes as you will be disapointed if it doesnt work. Do make the midwifes you wishes from the begining though and hopefully they will support you and try there best to get labour started before drip is needed. My hospital had waterproof wireless monitors available for water birth monitoring, yours may not!
good luck :)

I forgot to add- I also had high BP and swelling so more reasons why I was probably monitored on the bed!
I agree the other poster about it probably depending on what method of induction they use- I should think if you don't need the drip you'd be OK- but I'm not a doc so I apologise if that's really wrong!
x

i wasnt on a drip, i had no problems and early labour had already started for me hence why i just had my waters broken but still no water :( but i think it also depends on ur hospital and the mws. as i should of been allowed a water birth still. before they start induction just ask all the questions u have and ask for reasons as to why not if they say u cant use water.

if u have a hotwater bottle that is good for when contractions first start, and standing up if possible rocking ur hips from side to side

i wasnt on a drip, i had no problems and early labour had already started for me hence why i just had my waters broken but still no water :( but i think it also depends on ur hospital and the mws. as i should of been allowed a water birth still. before they start induction just ask all the questions u have and ask for reasons as to why not if they say u cant use water.

if u have a hotwater bottle that is good for when contractions first start, and standing up if possible rocking ur hips from side to side

That sucks that they wouldn't let you use the pool! Especially since you had no problems. I really really hope we get to use it this time *crosses fingers*

Thanks to everyone who replied, deffo not going in with my hopes up so shall just see how it goes :)

I was under the impression that the birthing pool was a "no" however if you have the "hook" fetal monitor (the one that literally hooks into the baby's head) rather than a fetal strap around your stomach, then you can go into the hot water shower (this is what the nurses told me). I don't like the idea of the hook so I didn't do it, but in hindsight, I think I would have!

good luck hope it all goes well xxx

Also don't forget constant monitoring is not compulsory, you CAN refuse Anything you're not happy about, also think about having a bath if no birth pool xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->