birthing pool for homebirth

MadamRose

Mummy to 3 and WTT for #4
Reaction score
I am hoping for a homebirth but i loved birthing in the hospital birthing pool.

So i want to get a birthing pool for my birthing pool. I'm in the uk what is the best way to go about this.

My midwife gave me a leaflet from a local hire company with my booking in notes.

Failing that, just google it.

The company near me is free to hire the pool, we just pay £25 for a disposable liner.

That's amazing. I will speak to midwife when i see her. i will put it on list of questions. i hope somewhere near mean hires them out cheaply

I hired mine from here, £80 for 5 weeks. Included delivery, collection and all the kit. I couldn't find anything cheaper near me, even after asking the midwives.

https://www.waterbabybirthingpoolhire.co.uk/

I hired mine from here, £80 for 5 weeks. Included delivery, collection and all the kit. I couldn't find anything cheaper near me, even after asking the midwives.

https://www.waterbabybirthingpoolhire.co.uk/

Was it nice and easy to use, as sort out afterwards?

Don't know yet...baby is still cooking!

There are plenty of instructions on the website, and in the plastic box it was delivered in also tells us how to dry and pack it away afterwards. They have this cute thing of naming the water pool after the first baby born in it...my pool is called Ivy - for some reason I think this is so sweet!

There's lots of info on the site including how long they estimate each type of pool takes to fill and how big they are. I have hired La Bassine pool.

I will let you know how it get on with it though!

Don't know yet...baby is still cooking!

There are plenty of instructions on the website, and in the plastic box it was delivered in also tells us how to dry and pack it away afterwards. They have this cute thing of naming the water pool after the first baby born in it...my pool is called Ivy - for some reason I think this is so sweet!

There's lots of info on the site including how long they estimate each type of pool takes to fill and how big they are. I have hired La Bassine pool.

I will let you know how it get on with it though!

Good luck, i looked and it looks really good, i'm just wondering if you can have a partner in with you in any of them

:happydance: in some of the pics in the testimonials they have partners in with them.

DH was in water with my dd and i loved it as he helped me get comfy so i really hope to be able to get one he can fit in too

how early did you have to tell your midwife about you plans, did you have to do anything special. I found out with preggo with dd when i was thinking of having one that i should have told midwife at first 8week appointment.

I know i'm planning nice and early, but like to be organised

The birth pool in a box is big enough for both of you.

I mentioned it to the MW at my booking in appt (10 weeks), she just jotted "would like home birth" in my notes. She just suggested I have a birth plan done for my 34 wk appointment so we could go through it (I ended up going through it with a different community midwife as my named one wasn't there for my 34 wk appt). Then my 36 week appt involved a visit at home, my MW brought a birthing kit, took bloods and wrote a management plan in my notes (i.e. when to call them etc).

I think they don't discuss it seriously til around 34-36 weeks in case you develop complications or change your mind in the meantime, on the other hand it gives you plenty of time to research!

I had to be seen by a cardiologist between 30-34 weeks, but I made sure he wrote "suitable for home confinement if she wishes" in my notes :thumbup:

The birth pool in a box is big enough for both of you.

I mentioned it to the MW at my booking in appt (10 weeks), she just jotted "would like home birth" in my notes. She just suggested I have a birth plan done for my 34 wk appointment so we could go through it (I ended up going through it with a different community midwife as my named one wasn't there for my 34 wk appt). Then my 36 week appt involved a visit at home, my MW brought a birthing kit, took bloods and wrote a management plan in my notes (i.e. when to call them etc).

I think they don't discuss it seriously til around 34-36 weeks in case you develop complications or change your mind in the meantime, on the other hand it gives you plenty of time to research!

I had to be seen by a cardiologist between 30-34 weeks, but I made sure he wrote "suitable for home confinement if she wishes" in my notes :thumbup:

That's brilliant :thumbup: hope little ones shows up soon.

And i'm glad i know which one is the correct size :D

Yes i think the only reason they really have to know so early is becuase you are booked under a certian hopsital. No idea why it has to be that specific hospital for homebirth but that is what they say

Maybe it is because you are allowed to choose which hospital you plan to give birth at, so if you choose hospital birth they might need you to be under that hospital/team for antenatal care?
Whereas if it is a homebirth you may have to be under the team/hospital where you live should you need a transfer in labour to the nearest place - I'm not sure, just speculating :shrug:

Have a look on ebay. The 'birth in a box' pools are cheap and come with everything you need. You can buy them for around £60 and then sell it again when youve finished with it, so it may cost you nothing! Also, look to see if any of them are.'Pick up only' near you as they usually sell for less x

The BPIAB Regular was big enough for me and DH; the Mini is much smaller and I had a practice run the other day and I don't think anyone but me will fit in there- which is just what I want this time.

I had my water birth. Used la bassine thought it was amazing. Though due to our cool house OH was kept occupied adjusting the water levels, we found it much easier to take cold water out and add hot water using the washing up bowl rather than the hosepipes supplied - we just used the hosepipes to fill it up initially and then empty it at the end. The courier collected the pool the day after we called so we weren't tripping out it or anything.
DH says it was easy to put away but does say it is a two person job really, (he had his dad help) so you may want to have someone help if you don't feel up to it.
The awesome thing is the company have a policy of naming pools after babies that have had water births with them. So soon when a new one comes in there will be a pool called Nathanael floating about the country!

congratulations on your homebirth. I am deffo thinking of going with then, need to see if the hosepipe thing will fit on our tap though as we have a really weird tap in our kitchen

I've heard of pool home birth and seen youtube of it, looks very surreal

Also, check to see if you have a home birth group in your area and/or ask your midwife if she knows of any places that do free/low cost hires. My local home birth group hires out pools from 37 weeks (until after your birth) for just the cost of a new liner (which is £40). You might also want to post on the home birthers and hopefuls facebook page (the link is in one of those stickies) to see if anyone has a cheap or free one they could loan you.

i have a BPIAB mini ( i think theres no seat but its an older model ) from ds3 will use it with this baby too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->