Birthing pools, heater or non heater to buy or hire...

GeorgeyGal

Reaction score
I posted a few days ago and got some fab replies and was all set to buy an eco pool in a box but then noticed it says you can buy the 1-use for £99 or the 20-use for £200...so doubles in price, we would want to test it out beforehand so that means buying the 20-use one to be on the safe side and buying an extra liner so that inc the kit already comes to £275, so for that price we could in fact hire a heated pool with solid walls which we could leave in the lounge without worrying as we have 2 cats and also can use it to wallow in the weeks before the big day. Now I'm so confused which option to go for?

I guess it depends on how many children you're planning on having... ;)

I don't know if I mentioned before but you can get second hand ones from e-bay for £50. I did. get a liner if you are uncomfortable with using something that someone else has used.. but there are a few on there that haven't been used as mum transfered.
I plan on using mine again, without a liner.. as I'll sterilise it myself with milton before, as I did the first time. The liners are often not sterile.
Also many homebirth groups hire out pools - mine for instance does the birth pool in a box regular for £30 for the 5 weeks between 37wks and 42 weeks.
Hope this helps, don't let money get in the way of the birth you want.
Xx

I don't know if I mentioned before but you can get second hand ones from e-bay for £50. I did. get a liner if you are uncomfortable with using something that someone else has used.. but there are a few on there that haven't been used as mum transfered.
I plan on using mine again, without a liner.. as I'll sterilise it myself with milton before, as I did the first time. The liners are often not sterile.
Also many homebirth groups hire out pools - mine for instance does the birth pool in a box regular for £30 for the 5 weeks between 37wks and 42 weeks.
Hope this helps, don't let money get in the way of the birth you want.
Xx

I'm all set! my pool in a box regular arrived yesterday! I decided to buy one as Im sure Ill use it again, plus will be nice for LO to play in it as well! By the way I love your birth story, did you study hypnobirthing or did you just have that mindset? x

Ooh! hahaha, sorry!
Congratulations on your pool!

Thanks alot - No I had never even heard of it when I had my first! I've only recently read a hypnobirthing book.... and so much of it rings true to how I was feeling at the time. I felt that I found a place within myself somewhere... I could still hear all that was going on around me, but the peace I felt was brilliant, and it really that, that I'm looking forward to feeling again with this birth.
I do also think that having the pool really helped. It helped me to relax and feel free to let go. It's really difficult to explain where I was during my first birth - I mean I WAS there, just also really connected with this other person who was within me (the less conscious real me)
It's pretty weird! hahaha! But really enjoyable! Allow your body to take over, don't resisit it.
You'll have a brilliant birth - I know I can't wait to do it again!
XxX

I think the title 'hypnobirthing' can be a bit off putting at first but as youve proven there's no magic formula, once you can get into that mindset and release the fear, which we as women have had instilled into us for many decades that labour will be painful and that we need medical assistance, it seems the easiest thing to turn our birthing over to our bodies and trust in nature which has somehow been forgotten along the way.

I am looking forwards to every second of my LOs birth especially in my new pool yays! I know I havent given birth yet but I already feel the hypnobirthing way of thinking has worked for me, it doesnt just kick in during labour. When I first became pregnant I was all set for going private and booking an epidural! Just shows how far I have come!

Was it your first baby you had at home in water (sorry I see was your first, edit) and did you find your baby to be very calm once born, as I see in alot of the footage Ive been watching the babies are pink in colour and incredibly calm and feed easily, just another reason to go natural, happy calm bubbas!

Yes I did, She is really chilled!.. and I think that has little to do with me!.. though, having a positive birth experience, I think, can really bolster your confidence in early parenting.. as you have already once trusted your instincts and been sucessful)

Also talking to one of my MW friends, she did her masters in waterbirths - and they are often quite purple-ish on birth.. but it isn't anything to worry about, It is just because of the water and the easy transition "earth-side“, that they don't really know they have been born! Hahaha If you look at the pictures from my daughter, she is purple to begin with and pink when she is on the scales. It is great to have delayed cord clamping or a natural 3rd stage for this reason. They tend to get cord blood for longer than land births.

My daughter was that exact colour, just took her first breaths when she came to the surface and didn't cry, and in fact I didn't cry until the next morning. I like to think that is because she had no reason to really?

I don’t know where the idea and then conviction came from that I wanted a home water birth, it just creeped up on me. Though I think it sort of started because I knew that the only way to guarantee a water birth was to do it at home with the same brilliant MWs I would have had from the birthing centre. Now I just can’t imagine doing it any other way.

I did read two books before my birth that really helped.
Homebirth, Nicky Wesson
Childbirth without fear, Dr Dick Grantly-Reed - I know that he is referred to in the hypno-books and teaching, and he is amazing. Although it can be a tough read as it is written in a beautiful, but dated style… I loved this book the most.

You are more than half-way there in my view, to having a brilliant birth, if you can draw on your own positive attitude towards your own body and and mind, in it's fantastic physiology and how we are in labour and birth.
XxX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->