Bit overwhelming

Desi's_lost

baby girl,boy and me
Reaction score
LO's speech is behind. I've known for a long time but I really dont like the idea of speech therapy and I knew I wouldnt feel comfortable with it.

I brought her for an assesment today and it was made clear that we were just there for speech yet they had four different women with four different specialties all in the room and all trying to work with LO. LO didnt want to play with one lady because there were toys everywhere and she was busy doing her own thing so after LO wouldnt draw a perfect circle, stack as many blocks as she wanted and wanted to play with the bear beads instead of stringing them, she's clearly behind in her motor skills and she has behavior issues and they'll draw up a plan involving all that on top of the speech. :coffee:

Oh and LO didnt want to count when the other lady wanted her to, so clearly she cant count when she has been able to since she was a year and a half.

Im already frustrated with them and this is just the beginning. =/

That does sound pretty bad. My experience prior to starting school was positive and we started at 18 months. At the first appointment we went to them. There were two. One observed and the other did activities with DS. They explained who they both were, one was the senior and the other was newly qualified. The newer one came to our house fortnightly after that encouraging DS to play with her. There was no right or wrong playing or if he didn't want to do something that day was fine. Once he got his diagnosis of autism we got a new speech therapists in. She came weekly and was a nice older lady. There he had to do more of what she wanted to help improve his speech but rewarded him with a chocolate button every time he completed the task for positive reinforcement.

If I was in your position (I don't know how it works in the states) but I'd give it a go say a month or two and after that time I wasn't happy with what was going on I'd complain. You want it to be a fun and enjoyable time for your daughter as well as you as you will feel comfortable what is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->