• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bits in expressed milk

chezababy

New mummy to baby girl
Reaction score
I've noticed sometimes my milk looks like it has white bits in it even after shaking. It doesn't look very nice so i normally throw it but I'm wasting milk which i don't have much of so wanted to know what it was and if its still ok to give baby. My pump and bottles are always washed, rinsed and sterilised and the milk goes straight into the fridge. Does anyone know if its still ok to give it to baby?

i would not know why the milk would be bad! unless u kept it out of the fridge for longer than 6 hours.
breast milk is not like the milk out of the carton, depending how you store it it changes it consistence, but it doesnt mean it got bad.

https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/11/collection-and-storage-of-breastmilk

might be helpful

It's solidified fat. I get it all the time. Once the milk is warmed and gently swirled it mixes back in. Perfectly fine to give to baby!

Yeah, just bits if fattier milk, totally normal and fine.

Oh and don't shake breastmilk!

Agree with the above. Swirl EBM though, don't shake, it smashes the cellular structure and protein structures.

The white chunks bits are usually pieces of fat that need to be swirled into the milk again. It actually looks vile after a day in the fridge but shake really well and it's all fine again! I generally wouldn't worry about it.

I had come across how to store breast mile and to use this might give a clear idea.

https://www.momjunction.com/articles/store-use-breast-milk-baby_0022563/

I buy non-homogonized milk so I guess I'm a bit odd in that this was normal to me. I treat it just like I do in my milk and just shake it up a bit. My only concern with it is that I try to make sure it gets in LOs bottle as I figure it's important fat that he needs to keep his little belly full and brain developing. No worries at all about it and it's definately not an indication that your milk is bad. I would only toss milk if it smells funky or is old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->