Black spots when I stand up???

LittleMum

Mum to 22 mth old and ttc
Reaction score
For the last 2-3 days now if I sit down and relax for more than 10 minutes (doesn't happen very often with a 2 year old lol) I get black spots in front of my eyes and a slightly dizzy feeling when I stand up.

Only other time I have had this is when I was 36 weeks with DD and got severe pre eclampsia.

I'm also suffering quite severe front headaches which again I've only ever experienced before in late pregnancy.

Obviously I know it's not possible to get pre eclampsia this early but can anyone help with what they think it might be or if you're having similar please???

Not sure if its relevant but I normally have quite a low blood pressure of about 120/75

When I was ill in hospital at about 3.5 weeks it went down to 98/50 but think its back up to normal again now as I don't feel that ill anymore

Don't worry sweetie, it's quite normal in early pregnany. I'm a student midwife and always listening to my mentor explain this to ladies. It is because in early pregnancy we naturally have a drop in blood pressure because our blood volume increases. As the pregnancy progresses blood pressure starts to increase again which is why pre-eclampsia only happens later. Feeling dizzy and seeing spots usually means lower blood pressure, not higher. The head aches is something to mention with a midwife or GP just so they can take note of it, but headaches in early pregnancy are common as well, I have a friend and that was her first symptom.

The advice we give to ladies feeling dizzy is just to try and take your time to slowly stand up and maybe if you're lying down, go to a sitting position and then stand upright. It should hopefully pass in a month or two or maybe less, as your blood pressure starts to come up again. If you naturally have a lower blood pressure you might find you get dizzy more than other pregnant ladies.

If you're worried at all, just get you midwife to take your blood pressure and they can advise you about the headaches etc.

Lots of love X

Don't worry sweetie, it's quite normal in early pregnany. I'm a student midwife and always listening to my mentor explain this to ladies. It is because in early pregnancy we naturally have a drop in blood pressure because our blood volume increases. As the pregnancy progresses blood pressure starts to increase again which is why pre-eclampsia only happens later. Feeling dizzy and seeing spots usually means lower blood pressure, not higher. The head aches is something to mention with a midwife or GP just so they can take note of it, but headaches in early pregnancy are common as well, I have a friend and that was her first symptom.

The advice we give to ladies feeling dizzy is just to try and take your time to slowly stand up and maybe if you're lying down, go to a sitting position and then stand upright. It should hopefully pass in a month or two or maybe less, as your blood pressure starts to come up again. If you naturally have a lower blood pressure you might find you get dizzy more than other pregnant ladies.

If you're worried at all, just get you midwife to take your blood pressure and they can advise you about the headaches etc.

Lots of love X

Thank you so so so much you've really put my mind at ease :)
You're a star thank you xx

Lots of love X

I also just wanted to thank you for this post. I've been feeling exactly the same and wondered if it was anything to worry about now, but feel much more relaxed now. Thanks!!

You're welcome, glad to help :) Always talk to your carer if you're worried and it's good to mention the things you've been feeling, but yes, what you are describing sounds perfectly normal <3

I passed out cold this morning in the shower. It scared the living &*%$ out of me, and we went up to the early pregnancy unit just to make sure. The lady seemed quite surprised we'd even come, she said fainting and feeling faint was perfectly normal in early pregnancy and just to take it easy and don't stand up too quick etc. She also took my BP and it was totally normal :wacko:.

So it looks like it's normal but it was totally scary so I know why you're concerned.

It is called orthostatic hypotension; it is completely normal, everyone experiences this not just pregnant women, like the other post said just go a bit more slow when you stand:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->