Bladder after c section

xxxemmaxxx

Reaction score
I ended up having an emergency c section after getting to 10cm etc and I had a catheter in for about 27/28 hours after.
Since this I dont feel like my bladder is emptying properly and is a weak stream.
This was 4 weeks ago..
im beig treated for a uti for the second time since but just looking for anyone else thats been in this situation and what was the outcome??

I’ve had a catheter a number of times in my life due to surgery, for over a day a couple of times and I know what you mean regarding your bladder feeling weak. The weakness for me never lasted more than a few days, so you should definitely talk to your doctor about it. If you still feel you can’t pee properly after the uti treatment has finished you should definitely go back. And keep doing your pelvic floor exercises religiously!

I had this same problem with mine, heres some more insight into why this happens:

First of all, the medications they use in surgery can really affect your bladder. Every single time I have a surgery, my bladder becomes unresponsive for days afterwards where a catheter is a requirement or I wont expel urine. Also, the catheters can cause infections so UTIs arent uncommon afterwards.

Second, when they perform a C-Section, your bladder is in the way of your uterus, so they have to physically remove the bladder off of the surface of your uterus and move it aside. This does a lot of nerve damage to the bladder and can't be helped.

I think it took me about a month or two before my stream went back to normal. I had to stay an extra day in the hospital after my son was born because of my inability to urinate on my own. He was perfectly fine, we just literally had to stay because of me. Just remember that a C-Section is MAJOR surgery so it takes a good time to heal in multiple ways, including your bladder.

It'll go back to normal eventually! Nerve damage takes a good time to heal. But if it doesnt seem to be getting better after another 2 weeks or so then definitely mention it to your doctor.

I can't quite remember how long it lasted but I remember it felt strange for a good few weeks afterwards. But it did come back eventually. As PP said make sure you do your pelvic floor exercises religiously as you can leak otherwise, especially with nerve damage from the section. I didn't do mine properly last time around and it took me a long time to get it back to functioning properly as I had left it so long! X

I'm 2 weeks pp and only just starting to feel the urge to wee. I can drink absolutely loads and not need to go, however when I do there's loads! Also it's starting to become uncomfortable to wee now so think I may have a uti, so I'll be going back to the doctors Monday!

I've had 3 c-sections, I only ever feel the urge to urinate when my bladder is really full. And then I struggle not to wet myself, it sucks.

Update! 7 weeks post c section and I have feeling back in my bladder, only just though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->