Bleeding after birth fear

patooti

Pregnant - 2nd Trimester
Reaction score
I'm contemplating a home birth, have found a wonderful midwife that is highly supportive and that I feel super comfortable with. The only remaining worry is a fear which is probably irrational about maternal hemorrhage after birth. I'm not a long distance from the hospital (about 5k) so a fast transfer would be possible but my husband brought this up and keeps saying well what if it happens so fast that you die before you get there.

Does anyone know how common it is to have a serious bleed that requires action so fast that it really is better to be in the hospital. I feel like I want the calm, privacy and lack of intervention that I can get with a home birth but I'm just so scared of something going wrong and hubby says he'd never forgive himself if something happened to me at home and that he would just feel safer in the hospital. Yet talking to the midwife, supporting a natural birth is one of the first and best ways to prevent emergencies I know they CAN happen. How irrational are we being and would a fear like this stop you from doing a homebirth?

I'm only 7 weeks along and I LOVE the home birth midwife but if I decide I want to retain the option of hospital then I need to go with a different midwife right from the start because the one I like only does home births and my alternative only does hospital.

I'm guessing your in the US? you would have to double check but in the UK they have the drugs with them to stop any major bleeding while waiting to be transferred and I'm sure it would be the same over there.

I recently gave birth with a midwife at a birth center. I had a significant amount of bleeding after the birth. The midwife gave me two shots to shop the bleeding. If you give birth at home, your midwife will have the same drugs to stop the bleeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->