Bleeding with mirena coil

craftymum

Mum to Jacob and Jenna
Reaction score
I had the mirena fitted 3 weeks ago and at the time I only had a bit of very light staining for a few days, then nothing. I started what I can only assume to be my period on Wednesday and by Thursday I was passing extremely large clots, by Thursday evening it got so heavy that it flooded through a night time towel, my clothes and all over my sofa too - thank God I was at home when this happened as there was lots of blood everywhere! By Friday morning the cramping started always on the left hand side and sometimes they are really unbearable so at the minute I'm dosed up on some nurofen but the bleeding although not at the flooding stage anymore is still quite heavy and doesn't seem to be easing up at all. I got this fitted due to my periods being so heavy and I thought that the flooding through would be a thing of the past as the Dr told me I would bleed but it should be light :( I was anemic due to my periods being so heavy before and taking iron tablets really messes up my stomach so I don't really want to take them now.
I know it's only been 3 weeks but is this normal and will it eventually get better in time?

Sorry I cant answer hun but am interested to see responses as im thinking of getting one fitted x

i just posted in another thread i got the merina coil fitted so i didnt get pregnant again lol but i only had it in for 6 weeks the whole 6 weeks i was bleeding very heavily and got really bad cramps to the point i collasped on the floor in agony i ask to get it removed the nurse wasnt happy with me she said it could take another 6 more weeks for it to completely stop the bleeding but i was bleeding every single day worse than i ever have before so she agreed to take it out and i bled for another 2 weeks after having it removed i hope the bleeding stops soon

It is normal to bleed for quite a while after having it fitted as they take ages to settle. But.. if you are bleeding more than what you would in a normal period (as in the amount of blood lost) then I would go and get checked out.
It is better to go and get checked than to constantly bleed and be in pain and worry.
I had the coil in November and bled for about 2 weeks, but not majorly heavily. I then spotted every day for 6 months. It finally settled down until recently where I have bled constantly for 5 weeks and had to take hormone tablets to stop it. I keep asking for the d**n thing out, but they seem keen on convincing me to keep it in grrr.
Some people have tons of problems with the miren coil, while others think its perfect. I guess everyones body is different, so its hard to tell how you will react on it. But if worried go and get checked out hunni.

Thanks, it's hard to know as the reason I had it fitted in the first place was for heavy periods, I frequently and embarrassingly would have flooded right through a super plus tampon and a night time towel right through my jeans and all over the seat, it was awful so I really didn't expect the same sort of bleeding with the mirena. I didn't bleed at all when I had it fitted apart from a bit of spotting the first 2 days then nothing for a week or so, then it just came out of nowhere and just over 6 weeks since I had it in I'm still bleeding, sometimes it looks like it's getting lighter but then it starts up again. I couldn't go for my 6 week check as I was bleeding so much and I hate that I can't wear nice clothes when the weather's nice as I'm tied to something dark "just in case" :(
I've heard a few people say that Docs are reluctant to remove it, I don't get this at all as surely it's your body and if you don't want it there then they should respect that! Hope you get yours sorted out soon, one way or the other too x

hey,
im afraid im totally at the other end of the stick - i had mine fitted & bled heavily for the rest of the day but that was 6 months ago & i have never even had a spot since... i do get the odd cramp sometimes norm when i sit or bend down - not too painfull just makes me jump - like its just reminding me its there!!

i guess it effects everybody differently - & theres a chance i could start bleeding or spotting any day! my sil spotted every day for 5months and then she had enough & had it removed, again the nurse was reluctant (they say it can settle down in time & you should try & give it that time as when it does settle there is very good chance they can stop completely/be very light) my sil attually wished she had kept it in and waited another month!

id say if you are bleeding heavier then you normally do to speak to your dr & see what they say. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->