Blighted ovum?

londonangel

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else on here suffers from PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) or knows whether chances of having blighted ovum are higher as a result? I had a healthy baby last time round but have foolishly been trawling the web while my daughter is napping and keep thinking I could easily have a blighted ovum as I have PCOS. Now I'm older than last time (now 33) I keep thinking the egg is probably old and immature due to the PCOS and hence not viable.

Any success stories from people with PCOS who had perfectly healthy babies with no interventions would be great.

I know I have a success story of my own, but it's not enough to put my mind at rest ;-)

I have no experience but wanted to wish you luck :hugs2:

My first born was perfect sadly lost him at 32 weeks due to neglect on the doctors part.

I took 6 weeks to heal and then was trying the rhythm method as I needed ankle surgery and didn't feel it was safe to get pregnant while being put out, on meds, etc.

Well, I got pregnant! Sadly though it was a blighted ovum. It felt like pregnancy the whole time, until I took the medicine to end the pregnancy at almost 10 weeks.

I can say this you just won't know until you see a heart beat. It is actually kind of common, even not with PCOS, something like 25% of pregnancy just does not work. Whether it was the surgery or just too soon who knows but this time around we have a healthy bubs so I would just try to breathe through it and hope for the best! :hugs:

Thanks both and sorry to hear of your experience CastawayBride. As you say, nobody is really safe. I'm just hoping I can get an early scan so I can find out one way or the other. I think I will try to ignore it until then!

Thanks both and sorry to hear of your experience CastawayBride. As you say, nobody is really safe. I'm just hoping I can get an early scan so I can find out one way or the other. I think I will try to ignore it until then!

Well the early scan is a double edge sword....some people take a bit more time to get the heart beat, so I would honestly wait until at least 7 weeks....just in case your timing is off, baby takes a bit etc. Even with no heart beat at 7 weeks you may still see one at 9 weeks. I would not end a pregnancy before 9 weeks to give the baby enough time to start a heart beat, just in case. Hang in there and I truly hope your little bean is growing!

We have been on quite a bumpy road but happy to have another baby to hold soon and a son in heaven who will be 1 next month!

You are right CastawayBride :) My problem is my cycles are super-long (sixty days - I kid you not!) so technically I am about nine weeks pregnant already. I'm definitely not though, I took a pregnancy test three weeks ago and it was negative. Took one last weekend and it was a 'middling' positive (not really faint but not really dark either). I had a scan with my daughter at 6+3 and it was horrid - the first sonographer couldn't see into the sac. They sent me to the maternity unit (where I was surrounded by ladies with huge bumps) and the sonographer there finally found a blob with a heartbeat. I'm going on holiday tomorrow so I'm hoping that by the time I've got back, if nothing has happened (if you know what I mean) I can see the doctor and they can refer me to the hospital for a scan. I don't feel the same as I felt last time I was pregnant so not sure that's a good sign. Hubby and I are realistic though - one mc, one healthy baby - so we know it could go either way and are prepared for both eventualities. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->