Blocked Duct

Kanichen34

Reaction score
Looking for advise - Imogen had a really good 40min feed last night and emptied my right breast. Afterwards Hubby found a lump - assuming its a blocked duct? I straight away started massaging it and trying to pump and massage at the same time but as its under my breast it moves too much when I massage it. This morning she has fed off it in different positions and I have used a heating pad but the lump hasn't got any better.

I got to the doctors this morning and she said it isn't presenting as mastitis yet but it is warm so she has prescribed a course of antibiotics. Of course now I am worried about getting thrush from the antibiotics :wacko: Anyway I can prevent that?

Also how have I got a blocked duct when Imogen feeds really well?? What can I do to prevent it reoccuring? :shrug:

Looking for advise - Imogen had a really good 40min feed last night and emptied my right breast. Afterwards Hubby found a lump - assuming its a blocked duct? I straight away started massaging it and trying to pump and massage at the same time but as its under my breast it moves too much when I massage it. This morning she has fed off it in different positions and I have used a heating pad but the lump hasn't got any better.

I got to the doctors this morning and she said it isn't presenting as mastitis yet but it is warm so she has prescribed a course of antibiotics. Of course now I am worried about getting thrush from the antibiotics :wacko: Anyway I can prevent that?

Also how have I got a blocked duct when Imogen feeds really well?? What can I do to prevent it reoccuring? :shrug:

A hot bath or shower, and combing the lump with a wide toothed comb towards your nipple is good. Feed or pump as much as you can, and apparently nursing with your LOs chin towards the lump is meant to be good (although may be a bit gymnastic depending where the blockage is!). dangle feeding can help to (yep - exactly what it sounds like!) If it were me, I'd be inclined not to take the ABs until I felt it was very sore or unwell, but obviously I'm not advising that. If you do take them, perhaps look into taking a probiotic supplement and keep a close eye for any signs of thrush.

As for why it happened, it's hard to say. I've sometimes had it when mine have had a blocked nose, at other times I've held them with a hand pushing against me, or using a bra with wires. Sometimes there's no obvious reason. If it recurs often, some people find supplementing with lecithin worthwhile.

Hope it clears soon! Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->