Blood tests

JessPape

Myself, Husband, DD
Reaction score
Wow - Am I a sucker for blood, seems like every time I go get blood work done, they have to take it out of my hand leaving a nasty bruise. How I wish I had bigger veins!

Anyways, I need some support again. I feel pretty much my normal self. Which is probably normal, however, i'm terrified they will come back and tell me my HCG was low or something. Ugh, I hate waiting, i'm such a nervous person to start with...

This was just my frist set of blood test, lets see what the results are on the 28th at my next prenatal!

Hope all you gals are doing good!

I have small veins as well. Try increasing your water intake before you have the test done, it should help them to hopefully find a vein more easily (one not in your hand because that is sooooooooooo painful :hugs:)

Good luck with your test

I have small veins, too. The lab lady at my doctor's office picks on me every time. There's really only one good vein in my right arm, and when I was getting blood drawn every 2 to 4 days, it was awful!! The lab lady definitely said to drink a lot of water before the test since I had issues with the blood coming out fast enough, too. She has to use the tiniest needle she has, and said my hands didn't have any good veins either.

She was worried that she would have trouble with my regular labs since they have to take several vials of blood, but when I'm only going once a month, I'm alright. She was even talking about trying to get blood from the veins in my feet!! Icky!!

Ya, the one in my hand doesn't bother me pain wise, I have a fairly high pain tolerance lol. Just leaves me with a black and blue hand lol. I will for sure try the water tip next time!

the bruise afterward was killer for me, not so much when the blood was taken but ouch that bruise lasted for weeks! and it was on my dominant hand none-the-less

LOL yea it lasts for weeks! We got married in mexico IN January, and I some how got lucky the brusie didn`t show up until the day after the wedding (you need blood tests in mexico). I don`t know, i`ve always had issues with getting blood taken for probably the last four years now.. But know that im pregnant its a pain in the ass since I`ll need more then one blood test, so I will definitly try drinking more water before hand and see if it helps.

Howdy i am a phlebotomist at a private hospital - being hydrated and WARM will help loads so long sleeves and gloves as the more warm you are the more prominant your veins will be - there are always veins in the arm they may just be very deep and hard to palpate when you are cold. Tip to reduce the bruising is the firmness in the pressure you apply afterwards - the more pressure the less bruising.

Hope this helps ladies. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->