Blood Transfusions

summersautumn

Reaction score
I had commented earlier on an old post about the choice I've personally made to refuse any blood transfusions for myself and my children. I tried to make it very clear that my decision is not based on religious beliefs but on scientific and medical facts. It's not about when it comes down to it and the doctor says, "If you don't receive blood, you will die." and we just say, "Ok, do whatever you must." But it comes down to us having the knowledge of what is available to us.

In most situations in our life, we question what our options are, but many are so quick to accept that once the doctor says a transfusion is necessary, it's the only solution. I have run into only one thing that does not appear to have an alternative, which is blood exchange. I'm doing more research to see what is out there in this case.

Like I also tried to make very clear is that because I choose no blood does NOT mean I'm accepting inevitable death. I'm saying, "Give me iron, EPO, use the cell salvage machine, a cauterizer, take your time and be careful when you're operating on me so that I lose hardly any blood." I'm not refusing medical treatment, but I'm demanding the best out there.

Someone else said that these alternatives are probably out of our reach or cost. The Witnesses are making sure that hospitals around the world have what they need to carry out with these options by donating machines, educating doctors on the benefits of them not only for the patients, but for the doctors and the hospital costs. The alternatives to blood transfusions are only a fraction of the cost for treatment using blood as is the recovery time, hospital stay, complications afterward, and mortality rate.

Why do we send our children to school? It's to make sure they receive knowledge that will help them in life. We never stop learning, we never stop seeing advancements in technology and medical treatments, etc. All because alternatives to blood transfusions were pushed and launched by a faith-based organization, the majority of people think it to be crazy.

For myself, I had to open my mind up to all of the possibilities and ideas, and I quickly came to the same decision I have always had based on research statistics. All I ask of anyone in ANY situation, not just a medical one, is just ask, "What are my options and are there any alternatives?" And educate yourself. We do this before we have a child, before we buy a car or house, before we cook a meal. This is life or death and I see it just as that.

Oh I almost forgot. The ones that are reported dying "due to refusal to take blood" usually have other complications that caused their death. It is simply portrayed by the media as they died because they refused blood, but it had nothing to do with that aspect of the treatment and being given blood would not have made a difference. Again, research and education.

Each to their own... but my dad lost nine pints of blood during major surgery (due to low clotting factors in his own blood caused by prescription drugs), and there is no way he would have survived without a transfusion no matter how careful the doctors were (they knew, going in, about his low clotting factor).

I am hugely grateful to the blood donors who saved my father's life and give regularly as a measure of my own thanks.

Just curious,what are the negative factors of blood transfusion when the blood has been screened and is safe?i have had blood transfusions after the birth of dd

Oh and by the way I don't know much about blood and platelet volume but I do know that low fluid volume CAUSES a multitude of fatal conditions

I don't know if I see what the point of this post is..

I also don't get the point of the post, unless it's to debate?
Both my sisters needed a blood transfusion after giving birth, it was an emergency and would have died without it, I'm so grateful for the blood they recieved i think giving blood is an amazing thing.
After finding out I have a rare blood type this pregnancy I'm going to donate as soon as I'm clear to do so.

This is a good reminder for everybody to continue to think for themselves and research options carefully hopefully before any dire situation arises. Thank you summers autumn for making this post.
Mikaylas mummy- blood may be screened for certain diseases but they cannot screen for absolutely everything. There are many viruses and bacteria that could be in the blood that may affect the person later on without anybody knowing. There's also the risk of human error. What if a nurse picked up the wrong blood type? This is a risk in any medical procedure.
Blood is very expensive. It also adds significantly to healing time as opposed to if a person had an alternative treatment. Your body is fighting a foreign object. Just like if a person had an organ transplant although the fight may not be as long lasting as an organ transplant.
A lot of the alternative treatments to blood have to do with minimiziń blood loss and boosting blood volume. Both which can contribute to faster healing. And wouldn't anybody want a careful surgeon focused on this as opposed to "eh well just give them some more blood. " a highly contrasted example but the point is there.
If you're wondering yes I also refuse blood transfusions. Both for scriptural and scientific reasons.
It's a great reminder to look towards the future and think what if so that you can be prepared to face certain medical emergencies and situations.

I tried to make it very clear that my decision is not based on religious beliefs but on scientific and medical facts.

Just to be clear... you are a JW or belong to a religion that traditionally refuses blood transfusions as well though, right?

For me it had nothing to do with "how careful the surgeon was"
I lost a lot of blood after a NATURAL delivery and if I had have refused the blood transfusion I would have been seriously ill!

I gave blood before I got pregnant and if I could I would give blood now (guidelines state once you have a transfusion that you are no longer eligible to give blood)

But I also dont see the point in this post, OP states there are plenty of alternatives to blood transfusions but then does not say what they are :shrug:

If you read her post carefully she did state several alternatives

Me neither. I have the opposite point of view (I WOULD) accept blood...But I don't have the urge to create a thread on a baby forum about it (despite having very very good medical arguments to back it up):shrug:

If u don't want the blood, fine, good for u...all the morefor the rest of us who do!!

Me neither. I have the opposite point of view (I WOULD) accept blood...But I don't have the urge to create a thread on a baby forum about it (despite having very very good medical arguments to back it up):shrug:

If u don't want the blood, fine, good for u...all the morefor the rest of us who do!!
Agreed...just stirring the pot I guess.

I very nearly needed a blood transfusion after giving birth. Did I want one? No. Would I have accepted one? Absolutely.

If that's the fastest, easiest way to make sure I don't get seriously sick or die moments after having my baby, I'm not going to think twice about it.

My DH has had leukemia twice. The second time he had a bone marrow transplant. He would have died without blood transfusions and the transplant, so my feelings on it are pretty set

I do have a question though. What if you are in a situation where the ONLY option available is a blood transfusion. Not every hospital has access to these alternative treatments or time to deal with them in an emergency situation. Transfusion or death. What would you do? What would you do if it was your child?
I just cannot fathom declining something that would save my child's life if there was no other option available

I know there was a case in my province in the last handful of years where the province seized 3 babies of a set of sextuplets that were born premature to provide them with blood transfusions as their parents (who are JW) originally refused the treatment and 2 of the babies died.

This may come off as being extremely rude but I just don't understand how someone could put faith/religion ahead of their child's life. The mind boggles.

I had to have two units of blood after giving birth to my son, I had a post partum hemmorage and lost a lot of blood leaving me really quite unwell. I felt much better within minutes of those bags finishing.

I do totally understand the want to explore other avenues of treatment but I am curious to think what you would actually do if it came down to a situation where your baby needed the blood, there was no other option and they would likely die without it.

Libbylou, that's such a sad story :( what disgusting human being would allow two if her children to die when they could so easily have been helped? Grrrr people amaze me.

It'd be interesting to see the outcome after you refusing a transfusion when your body so desperately needs one ... I doubt you'll be here to tell us though!!

A blood transfusion for me would be the last option and I'm a midwife but if I needed one I would take it.

I've known people to die from refusal, it's sad because a blood transfusion would have saved them, it's simple blood saves lives, replacing lost body fluids with water based fluids can not and will not save you when you have a major haemorrhage it's the things that are done in the room that stabilise you i.e finding and stopping the bleed

The prolonged labour resulting in an emergency cs, the placenta not delivering, the tear in the cervix may have caused the haemorrhage but the blood put back in helps with recovery so refusal of this is saying 'try everything else but blood' does mean you are choosing to die, how can it not?

Im only talking about obstetrics though so I would expect in a planned operation that blood loss would be minimal but in a labouring room were someone losses 2 litres in one go by the time you take them to theatre your cell saver ain't going to do much, pushing fluids & most importantly blood is going to be the most beneficial in stabilising.

I was watching a programme earlier this year about how medical practices during conflicts filters down to the emergency room (trauma patients etc) and the number one life saving product was blood, the army bloke stated factually that by giving blood as one of your 1st responses to dealing with a major trauma you are saving someone's life.

Also the only time you are offered blood is if your hb is lower than 7.5 and are feeling symptomatic if you feel fine then iron tablets, rest etc are recommended whereas in an emergency the dramatic lowering of your hb indicates the need for blood- your decision at this point is yours alone.

This may come off as being extremely rude but I just don't understand how someone could put faith/religion ahead of their child's life. The mind boggles.

Agree completely with this, and as others have said, cannot see the point of this thread at all, seems likely its yet another thread someone starts to stir the pot, where pp then goes quiet and sits back and hopes for a reaction :sleep:

There was another thread which I think was discussing the same thing but was locked, not sure of the details because I didn't read it.. But I'm assuming this is just a continuation of that.

Maybe should be in News & Debates though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->