Blood Transfusions

Actually,looking at the op,she states she commented on an earlier post but as she only has one post(this one) it seems she lied and the sole purpose of this was to get a response and then not come back to explain herself.

I wrote that, but deleted it when I realised posts in this section don't count.

JWs belief, from what I understand, is about distroying/ contaminating their lineage, I think although they may highlight risks of blood transfusions the main reason for not accepting blood is that. But I'm not 100% on that.

I know their scriptures say taking of blood is not ok, but apparently even banking your own blood (thus not contaminating the linegage) is not ok. But taking platelets and parts of the blood from others are ok?
I'm genuinely curious as to where exactly the thought process is that some parts of the blood are ok, but others aren't or that it's not ok to bank your own blood.
Thanks for explaining that :thumbup: seems even stranger now.

Just copying others views in seems like a pointless thread.

surley it similar to us all hoping that we wouldnt need forcepes/ventrose or even a csection when giving birth...coz of course these things carry risk for both mother n baby, but they are only used in serious situations when someone needs help...and in that situation who would decline it?

the majority of blood transfuion i imagine is used in a emergency when there isnt time to research and discuss other options. perhaps in cases in long term illness where there is time then maybe looking into alternatives is viable but any other time surley it all about saving a life.

Im not interested in getting into a debate over my beliefs but just thought id correct some info thats been posted here :) I respect we all have our differing opinions on this subject

The Bible commands Christians to “abstain from . . . blood.” (Acts 15:20) Thus, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not accept transfusions of whole blood or the four primary components of blood—namely, red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, and plasma. They also do not donate or store their own blood for transfusion.—Lev. 17:13, 14; Acts 15:28, 29

The reasons are entirely bible based, that blood is seen as sacred and not to be shared.

Blood fractions however are for each individual to decide on.

Blood fractions are elements from blood that are extracted through a process called fractionation. For example, plasma, one of the four major components of blood, can be divided into the following substances: water, about 91 percent; proteins, such as albumins, globulins, and fibrinogen, about 7 percent; and other substances, such as nutrients, hormones, gases, vitamins, waste products, and electrolytes, about 1.5 percent.

Are fractions also covered by the command to abstain from blood? We cannot say. The Bible does not give specific direction on the subject of fractions. Of course, many fractions are derived from blood that has been donated for medical purposes. Each Christian should make a conscientious decision as to whether he or she will accept or will reject the medical use of these substances - this is what is recommended to us, not a blanket ban

So its not as black and white as insinuated on this thread and we endevour to give ourselves and our children the best possible medical treatment

There have been many cases where patients have better surgical outcomes without blood transfusions. A recent study published from a cardiac surgery at Cleveland Clinic in the US found those who refused blood transfusions were not at an increased risk of complications.

They also found fewer accute complications and shorter hosptial stays than patients who recieved transfusions. An Australian professor from Adelaide University (Guy Maddern) said he did not doubt the findings from the Cleveland Clinic as most surgeons avoided administering transfusions unless it was absolutely necessary, they are not without risk in themselves. Blood transfusions have their own problems which can interfere with recovery and even survival.

Surgeons will do everything possible to avoid a transfusion because there is some evidence that that they can comprimise the immune system.

Witnesses are not anti medical treatment, anti hospitals or anti doctors.

My cousins wife had severe complications during childbirth and was told she would definitely die without a transfusion, not only did she survive but she made a very speedy recovery.

Bloodless surgery does have its merits. Dont automatically write it off. We believe we have very good reasons for refusing transfusions.

But what about your children, Shana? Do parents have rights over their children's lives when it come to medical procedures? I could never tell a doctor not to give my child a transfusion to save his life, like, if he was in a car accident and losing loads of blood.

Hey, i know it must be difficult for you to understand but yes as parents we all need to decide what we think is best for our child.

Its not a matter of "id let my child die" of course thats the last thing i would want, like any parent.

I put gods laws first. And as he is our life giver i believe he knows what is best for us and we also know that we will be in good standing with him when he steps in and brings about the changes this world needs.

Worst case scenario if someone was to die, the short life they would gain here and now if they had chosen to accept a transfusion is nothing compared to what the bible says lies in store, gods original purpose of a paradise earth free from death, war, sickness, pollution etc, his original plan for us.

Thats what i want for my child ultimately.

I genuinely believe obedience to God as my life giver is paramount as he has the ability to ressurect dead loved ones, and will in the near future

Of course, its hard for those that dont believe in God to understand but i feel as strongly as you do that its in her best interests. Not just now, but forever.

As accepting as I try to be of other faiths, I don't know why someone would say, "Let my child die because I don't want them to have a blood transfusion."

I remember hearing a case about a child who had a very curable illness, but the parents wouldn't let them get the treatment. The child died and the parents were prosecuted for negligence.

Of course id accept any other medical treatment available. And possibly certain blood fractions if was absolutle necessary.

The reality is that there is other options, bloodless treatment has come a long way and the chances are ill never be faced with that situation

As accepting as I try to be of other faiths, I don't know why someone would say, "Let my child die because I don't want them to have a blood transfusion."

I remember hearing a case about a child who had a very curable illness, but the parents wouldn't let them get the treatment. The child died and the parents were prosecuted for negligence.

I understand but you are focused on the here and now being the be all and end all.

I view life on this earth restored as the be all. I have no doubt when it comes to bible prophecy and belief in God.

I really hope you're not. I know Alex will have surgery one day and he may need blood. I would honestly rather have him here than believe that "God" wanted to take him from me.

I put my child before any one.

My mum had a blood transfusion when they where removing her tumour, she would have died if she didnt. I am glad she didnt. If my child was dying I would try and save my child to. Its only natural for me to do so.

Its nothing to do with God wanting to take her. God doesnt cause people to die and "take them", thats not a bible teaching.

I can't believe people put religion (something that cannot be proved as the 'truth') before their children's life.
There must be something wrong with the world, I actually feel sick.

But that's what you're saying, Shan. God is a life giver and he takes life as well so we shouldn't use the medicine and medical procedure to save lives. Why would he/she then create people that can use their intelligence to create these procedures?

I can't believe people put religion (something that cannot be proved as the 'truth') before their children's life.
There must be something wrong with the world, I actually feel sick.

I got to agree here. It disturbs me.

Ok well i can see where this is heading so ill respectfully bow out.

I just wanted to clarify the reasons for blood refusal and that its not always the best option anyway.

I love my child just as much as you all do, believe me. To have it insinuated otherwise is hurtful but i understand why you may feel that way when you dont have accurate information on the reasons and beliefs of those who refuse

Ill leave it there.....

I was asking for clarification. Why would "God" create people with the ability to come up with those medical procedures and then tell people not to use them? I'm really confused about that!

Great if other procedures can work and are less intrusive and damaging, but if it's the only thing that would save them, you'd still refuse it?

I hate when people say they believe something but cannot defend it when people pose very legitimate questions!

I can defend it, i wouldnt take this stance unless i was certain. You are simply judging what you have no knowledge about, but honestly, is there any point in trying to defend myself here?

No matter what i say ill get flamed so as i said ill leave it at that.

I dont want to get upset nor did i want to upset anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->