blue-eyed babies

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by mrsadair, Dec 17, 2009.

1. mrsadair

mrsadair Pregnant with #1

i know some babies that are born with a dark blue looking eye can end up turning into a darker color... i have light blue eyes and i was wondering, when a baby is meant to have a light blue eye color, can you tell that right when they are born that their eyes will be that color? or do they get lighter or anything?

2. faille

faille Mummy & WTT

Violet had really dark blue eyes when born and they've gradually gotten lighter x

3. porkypig

porkypig Well-Known Member

my lo always had dark blu eyes too and they just got lighter. hes now 5 months and i dont think theyll change cos theyre quite light. ives got green eyes and my dh has hazel. both of our brothers have got blue eyes xx

4. Scally

Scally Well-Known Member

My LO was born with dark blue eyes and they have got lighter

5. cleckner04

cleckner04 Well-Known Member

Same with us. She was born with darker blue eyes and they are slowly getting lighter. I'm still not counting her out with the brown eyes though because mine are super dark and I know it's a strong possibility that eventually hers will change. But so far they are only getting lighter.

6. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

Casen was born with navy blue eyes, so dark they almost looked black...now they are a really pretty blue, not really light but pretty light.

7. Kitten

Kitten Mummy to Theakston & Nyah

Same with Theakston

8. mrsadair

ah how interesting :] i have no idea what my son's eyes will look like... mine are a very pale blue and my husband's are a dark coffee brown color... but my entire family has blue eyes, and his mom has green eyes so idk. according to that little online eye-color prediction chart he has a 50% chance of having brown, 25% chance of green, and 25 chance of blue... we'll just have to wait and see!

9. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

Mark's eyes are blue and so are mine and all 3 of our boys are blue :) But something interesting, I don't know where it came from but my side of the family, my parents, my aunts and uncles none had blue eyes yet every one of my cousins has blue eyes except my sister

10. elainegee

elainegee Well-Known Member

my wee girl has very light blue eyes, and if i remember when born they were dark blue and changed over time, my wee boy has dark blue eyes still he is 8 weeks x

11. rose_ginger

rose_ginger Well-Known Member

does anyone know when they stop changing?

12. mrscookie

mrscookie Mama and expecting

13. Blob

Blob Sarah :)

Tabs had dark eyes and then they got lighter then turned grey and now they are so dark hazel they look black :wacko:

14. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

Same here!

I have blue eyes (LO's are starting to turn the color of mine), but OH has brown eyes, as does most of his family. I was actually surprised LO ended up with blue... I expected brown like OH. But the blue eye gene is strong in my family. My sis has blue eyes and two girls. They both have blue eyes despite their dads' having brown eyes.

15. bubbles

bubbles 1DS, 1DD & preggo

Edward had dark grey eyes now they have gone light blue

16. mrsadair

i read that if both parents have blue eyes, the child has to have blue eyes :] i read/heard somewhere that men with blue eyes have some kind of primal instinct to pick a mate with blue eyes because then if the child has a color other than blue, they'd know it wasn't their baby... something strange like that, lol :]

who knows if that's true... i looked it up again and they've since said that blue-eyed parents can produce brown or green-eyed kiddos... lol

17. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

^^ assumes that eye color is a straight forward autosomal dominant trait. Unfortunately, it is more complicated than that. It is probably controlled by multiple genes. However, it is generally true that the lighter colors are recessive, so if one parent has dark eyes and the other light, it is more likely that the child will have dark eyes. However, because it is multi-genic just about anything is possible!

18. Mynx

Mynx Mum of 2 Gorgeous Girls!!

I have green eyes and my OH has dark brown eyes and so far Evie has really dark eyes, you can barely see her pupils lol they're so dark. I have a feeling that her eyes will end up being like her Daddy's :)

As for the blue eyed gene, my first daughter (previous relationship) has blue/green eyes, a combination of my green eyes and her father's blue eyes :)